Seagate 7200.11 fail & fine dataset

Every bit of information is welcome :) Your country will be marked on the map!

Edit: Greece has been added to the map.

This is the second drive that fails on my PC. Sorry i didn't kept the info of the previous one.

62:9QJ1TFK9:ST31000340AS:9BX158-303:SD15:09107:KRATSG:NOV2008:(01-02-09):OEM:SSKEV:GREEECE:No detect in Bios

Edited by DerSnoezie

Great tip, I'm going to have look at it right now!
@DerSnoezie: Have you ever heard of blist? It's a free, online database that's super-easy to use. Might be just the ticket for allowing people to add their own data, and view everyone else's.

It's at www.blist.com.

Did you by chance include any of the reported info from the seagate forums? Are they all represented here? If not, I'd be happy to go through that thread and pull out the reported failures. Let me know!

Did you by chance include any of the reported info from the seagate forums? Are they all represented here? If not, I'd be happy to go through that thread and pull out the reported failures. Let me know!

A considerable amount of the entries have been reported by people who were active at the seagate forum some time ago. The original thread:

http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/messag...;thread.id=3283

(started by Inviste, 188 posts) was locked by the moderators and hence could not grow further. Attempts to link people to msfn are actively countered by seagate moderators, by altering or deleting posts and simply filtering out key words, also in PM! The only thing that more or less works is to direct people via google search and also those efforts are monitored by seagate. If you get too active they will ban you from using their forum, just like they did to rimask, fatlip, me and many others. However, the ban only covers interactive usage, you can still go there and read stuff.

Ofcourse I appreciate your initiative and most likely you'll initially be able to attract additional interest to this thread, so I would be happy if you'd give it a try. But keep in mind that the data needs to be gathered in the correct format, or else the dataset will become a big mess :P

For the same reason I'm currenlty having my doubts about placing the dataset on blist, but perhaps I'll place it over there and also keep one copy over here.

Edited by DerSnoezie

Ahh I see, thanks.

Well, luckily for me Newegg was willing to let me RMA these drives at 32 days (2 days past their 30 day policy), and even waive the restocking fee since I'm buying 2 Western Digital Black 1TB/32MB cache drives!

So unfortunately, I may not have any more data to provide on my particular drives, unless *knock on wood* they die before I get the WD drives next week.

I have two of them running in my Netgear ReadyNAS Duo. :} They are doing well so far.

XX:9QM2R***:ST3500320AS:N/A:SD15:N/A:N/A:Oct2008:N/A:OEM:thlickish:Germany:fine

XX:5QM24***:ST3500320AS:N/A:SD15:N/A:N/A:Oct2008:N/A:OEM:thlickish:Germany:fine

If Part No, DataCode and SiteCode are important information, I can add them later.

I have two of them running in my Netgear ReadyNAS Duo. :} They are doing well so far.

XX:9QM2R***:ST3500320AS:N/A:SD15:N/A:N/A:Oct2008:N/A:OEM:thlickish:Germany:fine

XX:5QM24***:ST3500320AS:N/A:SD15:N/A:N/A:Oct2008:N/A:OEM:thlickish:Germany:fine

If Part No, DataCode and SiteCode are important information, I can add them later.

Thanks for your support! DateCode and SiteCode are kinda important, since they show when and where your drives where manufactured. We will translate the 5 digit DateCode to a standard date notition for you.

Sitecode: KRATSG = Thailand, WUXISG = China

Edited by DerSnoezie

Here is my data:

65:5QM00PXE:ST3500320AS:9BX154-303:SD15:08225:WUXISG:2008-01-21:N/A:N/A:Jack_Steel:Austria:still_running:WinXP_32bit

Thanks Jack :D It is very important that drives which are still running fine are also included in the dataset. Based on the codes yours was manufactured at China on 5 December 2007. For now this the oldest drive in the list!

66:9QM*****:ST3500320AS:9BX154-303:SD15:09075:KRATSG:September2008:N\A:OEM:CheshireCat:Israel:running_fine:xp32pro_vista32ult_now

I'm running this hdd literally 24\7 since it's purchase date. Most of the drives from the same box and ones that arrived a bit later are fine BUT there are problems now with the newest 500gb seagates. ~a month ago most of the new 500gb's started failing.

I have to mention that to run hdd properly you need a good PSU so maybe adding PSU type and number of drives\graphics card is relevant.

e.g. ENERMAX 500W @ 8800GT 3HDDs = FINE

ColorsIt 500W @ 8800GT 1 HDD = FAIL

I have to mention that to run hdd properly you need a good PSU so maybe adding PSU type and number of drives\graphics card is relevant.

e.g. ENERMAX 500W @ 8800GT 3HDDs = FINE

ColorsIt 500W @ 8800GT 1 HDD = FAIL

Thanks for your help. You're completely right; a low quality PSU can cause significant problems, just like the lack of adequate HDD cooling would. However, PSU related problems will (in general) directly surface when you add the HDD to your setup. All of these people were experiencing no problems with the stability of their system, everything was running fine - either for a couple days to even 4 months - when all of a sudden the HDD was no longer detected at the next boot.

I also think that the relatively older drives are of better quality compared to the recent batch (lets say the last 3-4 months), but for as yet I haven't gathered enough entries of older drives in the dataset to prove it.

Edited by DerSnoezie

All of these people were experiencing no problems with the stability of their system, everything was running fine - either for a couple days to even 4 months - when all of a sudden the HDD was no longer detected at the next boot.

Generally HDD will either fail early on (e.g. the first week) or will not fail for a long time. In case of failing after couple of months it can be because of two reasons:

1) Poor system setup (PSU\cooling)

2) Manufacturing problems (build quality, firmware, etc)

So i wouldn't through out psu factor, especially if it's not hard to mention alongside with os type.

67:9SZ*****:ST3320613AS:9FZ-162-300:SD11:08391:TK:August 2008:2008-12-22:OEM:kadolf:Germany:0GB-Bug:WinServer 2k8 x64

Broke-down as a christmas present. ;) Often recognized as 0GB, but twice it was recognized by the BIOS as 8GB.

All of these people were experiencing no problems with the stability of their system, everything was running fine - either for a couple days to even 4 months - when all of a sudden the HDD was no longer detected at the next boot.

Generally HDD will either fail early on (e.g. the first week) or will not fail for a long time. In case of failing after couple of months it can be because of two reasons:

1) Poor system setup (PSU\cooling)

2) Manufacturing problems (build quality, firmware, etc)

So i wouldn't through out psu factor, especially if it's not hard to mention alongside with os type.

Yeah, we basically started this dataset with entries from the "computer enthousiast" user type, who - I think - would know to check the PSU before concluding otherwise. But now this thread has opened to a more general public it might be wise to add the PSU type to exclude a few non-related problems. Thanks :)

Edited by DerSnoezie