Seagate 7200.11 fail & fine dataset

Number:Serial N°:Model:Part N°:Firmware:DateCode:SiteCode:PurchaseDate:FailedDate:OEM/RETAIL:UserName:Country of the User: fail reason/fine

55:9QK0WPSV:ST3750330AS:9BX156-303:SD15:09024:KRATSG:2008-11-28:2008-12-30:OEM:valdas:Lithuania:(no detect in BIOS)

Also has has text below specs STX-ST310000340AS (B) whatever it means. Maybe was ST310000340AS and was rebranded as ST3750330AS because of some problems when doing QA. Just my speculation...

Edited by valdas

55:9QK0WPSV:ST3750330AS:9BX156-303:SD15:09024:KRATSG:2008-11-28:2008-12-30:OEM:valdas:Lithuania:(no detect in BIOS)

Lithuania! We will add your country to the map. Thanks for your info!

Edit: Lithuania has been marked on the "plague" map.

Edited by DerSnoezie

My parents bought me 2 of these drives for Christmas (purchased 12/13/2008, not sure of their manufacturing date). I'm in the US (Delaware).

Both are ok so far, but I also haven't cold booted the machine more than a handful of times.

Serial # prefixes are both "5QJ0", both are from China (WUXISG).

I'm really worried about this...the drives were purchased > 30 days ago, so I can't return them.

My parents bought me 2 of these drives for Christmas (purchased 12/13/2008, not sure of their manufacturing date). I'm in the US (Delaware).

Both are ok so far, but I also haven't cold booted the machine more than a handful of times.

Serial # prefixes are both "5QJ0", both are from China (WUXISG).

I'm really worried about this...the drives were purchased > 30 days ago, so I can't return them.

Yeah, since this issue was picked up by the mainstream media yesterday we've been waiting for an official statement from seagate..

BTW If you add some more characteristics, we could list your drives in the dataset. Most of the data is printed on the sticker on top of your drive. The manufacturing date is based on a 5 digit code, starting with a 0. We use a simple tool to translate this code into the manufacturing date. The link to this file is also present in the main thread on msfn, but I can't remember exactly which page..

Edit: You can find the link to the date code calculator on page 9, post #176:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HS5ZEL4O

Edited by DerSnoezie

Thanks, will do. The drives are back in the case and I can't see the tops of them while they're in the chassis.

However...I took a couple of photos of the drives, so I'll get that info and add it to my post above.

Another question I have about the dataset. Would it be useful to see the OS the drive is running in (Windows (with specific version info), Linux (with specific kernel info), FreeBSD (with specific release info))?

The reason I ask is because I know, for example, FreeBSD doesn't support NCQ and perhaps that (or some other ATA command that one or the other OS doesn't support or has a buggy driver) is contributing to the wedging of the drive?

Another question I have about the dataset. Would it be useful to see the OS the drive is running in (Windows (with specific version info), Linux (with specific kernel info), FreeBSD (with specific release info))?

The reason I ask is because I know, for example, FreeBSD doesn't support NCQ and perhaps that (or some other ATA command that one or the other OS doesn't support or has a buggy driver) is contributing to the wedging of the drive?

Yes, unfortunately the OS is missing from the list. We have some reports from mac users, but none from Linux or FreeBSD, so it would make a nice addition to the dataset. Thanks for the tip!

BTW You may have noticed that we have very few failure entries of the "5QJ0****" serial number. The same can be said for drives manufactured in China. So perhaps yours have a higher chance of survival. But then again our dataset only covers a small amount of the thousands of failed drives reported worldwide, so I wouldn't count on it. Especially when they have the infamous SD15 firmware.

Edited by DerSnoezie

BTW If you add some more characteristics, we could list your drives in the dataset. Most of the data is printed on the sticker on top of your drive. The manufacturing date is based on a 5 digit code, starting with a 0. We use a simple tool to translate this code into the manufacturing date. The link to this file is also present in the main thread on msfn, but I can't remember exactly which page..

Edit: You can find the link to the date code calculator on page 9, post #176.

Here's the info to add, I have 2 of the drives. They're identical in all the info except for the serial # of course:

5QJ0*:ST31000340AS:9BX158-303:SD15:09133(29-09-08):WUXISG:N/A:OEM:jkc120:USA:Ok_so_far

5QJ0*:ST31000340AS:9BX158-303:SD15:09133(29-09-08):WUXISG:N/A:OEM:jkc120:USA:Ok_so_far

Note: it was puchased on the 13th of December, 2008, but has only been in the system for 10-14 days or so, I forget exactly when I first fired it up.

OS on this is FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. :)

Edited by jkc120

Here's the info to add, I have 2 of the drives. They're identical in all the info except for the serial # of course:

Note: it was puchased on the 13th of December, 2008, but has only been in the system for 10-14 days or so, I forget exactly when I first fired it up.

OS on this is FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. :)

Thanks! I'll upload your entries right away :) and set the purchase date of the drives to 01-01-09, I think that will cover it. Since you are running a special OS it might be nice to hear further feedback from you on the drives; if they do fail - which I certainly hope not - let us know.

BTW You may have noticed that we have very few failure entries of the "5QJ0****" serial number. The same can be said for drives manufactured in China. So perhaps yours have a higher chance of survival. But then again our dataset only covers a small amount of the thousands of failed drives reported worldwide, so I wouldn't count on it. Especially when they have the infamous SD15 firmware.

Yes, I'm hoping the 5QJ0* entries are just the typical failures and unrelated to the problems being reported. After all, drives can and DO fail. Maybe amid the slew of problems, the China/5QJ0* failure reports are just the more typical failures. Well, a guy can hope right? :unsure:

I will certainly report back if (and I really hope not) either drive fails for some reason. I'm going to keep the number of times the drive is fully powered down/up to a minimum, until I hear of a potential resolution or a recall or what.

Yes, I'm hoping the 5QJ0* entries are just the typical failures and unrelated to the problems being reported. After all, drives can and DO fail. Maybe amid the slew of problems, the China/5QJ0* failure reports are just the more typical failures. Well, a guy can hope right? :unsure:

I will certainly report back if (and I really hope not) either drive fails for some reason. I'm going to keep the number of times the drive is fully powered down/up to a minimum, until I hear of a potential resolution or a recall or what.

We'll just have to wait & see. BTW it's time for some sleep now over here, I'll be back in about 10 hours..

@DerSnoezie: Have you ever heard of blist? It's a free, online database that's super-easy to use. Might be just the ticket for allowing people to add their own data, and view everyone else's.

It's at www.blist.com.

This is the second drive that fails on my PC. Sorry i didn't kept the info of the previous one.

62:9QJ1TFK9:ST31000340AS:9BX158-303:SD15:09107:KRATSG:NOV2008:(01-02-09):OEM:SSKEV:GREEECE:No detect in Bios

Great tip, I'm going to have look at it right now!

@DerSnoezie: Have you ever heard of blist? It's a free, online database that's super-easy to use. Might be just the ticket for allowing people to add their own data, and view everyone else's.

It's at www.blist.com.