Auto restart windows xp

rickytheanuj

I have a system of 845 intel with intel progessor and kingstone 128 mb of ram, i recently replaced my old hard disk with new one. Windows XP is loaded in it and AVG antivirus.

My computer is running smoothly but after few period of using computer it automatically restart without hanging. What could be the problem..

And i got a laptop to repair, I have to reinstall windows XP in that Compaq Persario v2000, windows xp is loaded in E: NTFS partation and c: drive has only 8 mb of size.

my problem is when every i try to re install windows xp using bootable xp Cd it load but instead to view partitions to choose to install windows It shows a screen saying that unable to find the hard disk in it.

What's that?? If I boot my old system is works, and when i use live linux CD then also it shows the hard disk , partations.

Hi usually rebooting of pc if operating system is all ok are due to problems to the power supply or due to overheating. Check if your fan, even the one of the power supply are all working or try to monitor the temperature of the pc.

Of course if you have a BSOD before rebooting the problem is due to Windows.

You could analyze the memory dump (default xp setting is to save a reduced size of the memory in the file %SystemRoot%\Minidump) of your pc using winddows debugging tool (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/DevTools/Debugging/default.mspx) to connect to the debugger embedded in the windows kernel.

As possy 99 replied to you the problem is that you have a sata hard drive so you need to slipstream at least service pack 2 to avoid these problems or to use a floppy with your hard drive sata drivers.

Edited by vgsangiuliano

First, disable the automatic restart on system failure. This will make it so if you get a BSOD, it won't reboot on you. However, if the reboot is caused by malware (causing the shutdown cmd to run) or the hardware (heat or power related), it will not prevent this.

An each-step process for this is to use the F8 boot menu and choose the appropriate option. It only keeps this option for that boot period. There is a way to disable this in Windows or via the registry, but I do not have this information for you.

First, disable the automatic restart on system failure. This will make it so if you get a BSOD, it won't reboot on you. However, if the reboot is caused by malware (causing the shutdown cmd to run) or the hardware (heat or power related), it will not prevent this.

An each-step process for this is to use the F8 boot menu and choose the appropriate option. It only keeps this option for that boot period. There is a way to disable this in Windows or via the registry, but I do not have this information for you.

Thank you! Yes man I know this is gonna work, yes i checked shutdown cmd on run through regedit & msconfig i m not able to find it,

I think after disable system failure restart automatically will work on it , if it does not then there must be the power problem..

N thank you ones again! for ur suggestion..

Appreciate

Thank you! Yes man I know this is gonna work, yes i checked shutdown cmd on run through regedit & msconfig i m not able to find it,

I think after disable system failure restart automatically will work on it , if it does not then there must be the power problem..

N thank you ones again! for ur suggestion..

Appreciate

You won't find the shutdown that way. Shutdown is in system32 but don't touch that one. Malware can end up restarting the computer by either running that program (you also need it to restart or shutdown yourself) or Windows protection may trigger it automatically if a program does something really bad.

Hopefully you'll get to see a nice BSOD on the screen, which means we can troubleshoot it. If you find your computer had restarted by itself and it didn't have a BSOD, then there are other problems.

You might be able to check that out even now, while the machine is running. If you look in the Event Viewer, under System, there may be logs relating to how Windows had unproperly shutdown, or in some cases, you will see an entry that says the Event Logging service has started and the previous entry is NOT the event log service is shutting down. There should never be any logs between the service stopping and starting, because even in a fault situation, it should log at least the error before the service starts again.