XP Issue

tech

I have a DEll Dimension 5000, This is running XP Pro SP3. It will boot into windows and give me a blank desktop, I have went into safe mode and did a system restore with no sucess. I get the safe crap

I have created a user within safe mode and have the option to click on the new user in normal mode but it sits on a desktop with no icons

I have booted from the XP cd and attemped a repair, it is looking for a password that I havent got..

I have booted from ERD commander to reset the password and this still will not let me into Reapir mode

I have scanned the harddrive as a Slave disk in another Pc and it found no virus or spyware

What else can i do ?

Ive since ran the check disk and also tried your solution Iamtheky.

The chkdsk /p found a few errors but still no joy. I Think my only option is to run a repair on the OS now :(

This means i'll loose all the installed programs

do keystrokes work or is it dead in the water upon boot?

does windows+E still bring up an explorer window?

does windows+R still bring up a run box?

Would suck to rebuild if explorer.exe is your only problem.

Can also try create a new user account and see if u can get normal desktop. If can, just del your existing user account and use this new account. So u do not have to install all application, maybe re-conguration some application setting only.

do you have 2nd video card in?

if so..take it out...or plug your monitor in it....

if you are running a dual monitor setup...the logon screen could be on the other monitor...you are not seeing cause you don't have a 2nd monitor...