Windows 7 Beta Sound

nemesis01

Hello,

Got the Beta from MS site yesterday, loving it so far apart from a problem with my sound. I have only onboard Realtek sound, Windows Update downloaded some drivers but the sound will only input in 2 channel stereo, I have a 5.1 system connected and it will not let me select a 5.1 setup from the Realtek control panel. Also tried to configure in the windows sound control panel, using the test feature the sound will come from all speakers but if I try to apply changes it just says 'Format not supported', or something along those lines.

It's not a major issue, but if anyone has any idea's I would be grateful.

Thanks.

im using realtek drivers in 64bit w7 and everything works fine.

mine are the hd version, download the drivers for vista 64.

they seem fine to me.

[url="http://218.210.127.131/downloads/

choose High Definition Audio Codecs.

what motherboard are you using by the way.

there site is a tad slow.

hope you can sort it out.

Edited by wraith36

they seem fine to me.

I am using an Asus A8N-SLI Premium, decided to go with the 32bit Windows 7 Beta for now, not tried the HD audio codecs because I just assume, since my onboard sound is not HD they won't work.

try this page: http://neosmart.net/blog/2006/vista-sound-drivers/

i found my *working* driver for SoundMax (eventhough WindowsUpdate has the driver, but there's no sound output).

Hey cybpsych, I also have SoundMax, I've spent a couple days trying to find a driver that will actually output sound. This guy says he did it, but he has to be a liar. I tried the driver and it's bull, every version of the driver says "smwd.sys" or something like that is missing. I even found a sys file that's really similar, but it just doesn't work. Don't stress yourself out, there are actually a lot of people with sound problems in win7. I'm switching back to Vista, because Windows 7 makes me feel like I'm deaf.

they seem fine to me.

I am using an Asus A8N-SLI Premium, decided to go with the 32bit Windows 7 Beta for now, not tried the HD audio codecs because I just assume, since my onboard sound is not HD they won't work.

Hi there. I also have an Asus A8N-SLI premium and had no sound after installing 64 bit W7 beta. I downloaded from the Asus web site and installed fine. I don't have the url any longer but I do have the zip file I downloaded. Happy to get this to you if needed, but I'll need you to provide somewhere to upload to.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks for uploading those drivers, still have same problem in Realtek CP though, if I try to configure the speakers in the W7 control panel it says 'Format not supported by this device'.

Weird, guess i'm stuck with only 2 of my 5 speakers working.:(

Now I come to think of it, I've never had all my 5 speakers working - even with XP. That's not been a problem for me since I use them for music rather than films. I use the optical output from the motherboard to a Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5700 box and plug my speakers into there. I'm sorry I haven't been able to help you with this.

I just noticed there is an optional Realtek update from Microsoft update. I'll give that a go.

I kinda got them working, although not aswell as they do on my XP install (also had to reinstall W7 Beta to get this working as my first install was on a dodgy partition) In the speakers CP there is an option that says 'Speaker Fill', now seems to be pumping sound to all my speakers, albeit 2 of them the sound is pretty weak and barely audible, but on the other 3 it is fine. Read other people have had same problems but with Vista which is where I learned about the speaker fill option.

Not ideal but it's better than it was.

Solution for Realtek AC97 onBoard

Get the following most up-to-date driver R2.14 for Vista

You may download the drivers from realtek itself, but trust me you need to have time for that file transfer and webpage!

Realtek HD Audio Driver from manufacturer

Then do the following steps:

- Extract the archive

- Right-click the setup.exe file -> choose Vista in Compatibilty mode

- Start setup.exe

This worked for me. I now have 5.1 sound and the realtek control panel works.

MSI K9N Neo V2 - mainboard

Hope this helps you all.

Solution for Realtek AC97 onBoard

Get the following most up-to-date driver R2.14 for Vista

You may download the drivers from realtek itself, but trust me you need to have time for that file transfer and webpage!

Realtek HD Audio Driver from manufacturer

Then do the following steps:

- Extract the archive

- Right-click the setup.exe file -> choose Vista in Compatibilty mode

- Start setup.exe

This worked for me. I now have 5.1 sound and the realtek control panel works.

MSI K9N Neo V2 - mainboard

Hope this helps you all.

Well, this maybe a solution for those with HD audio but not for those stuck with old AC97 sound.

Just about giving up with this subject now, nothing seems to be working 100%.

Edited by nemesis01