Vista lag on popups

Mech0z

Not sure if I am allowed to ask this inhere, but this is the only place I know with a lot of vista installs.

I have everytime I have installed Vista had some fps drop problems, especially in VLC (Playing 720p and 1080p) and in WoW (Window mode)

Everytime I get a popup in msn (A new message or a person going online) my framerate is divided by 10 and the same seems to happen in VLC but here its also if I cilck on the menu items while the movie is playing like clicking video -> subtitles etc, just having those "popup" windows forth makes the computer lag like crazy. And apparently its not everyone who have the problem as my friend never have the problem who is also playing WoW.

Also if I hold over a program in the toolbar which makes a tooltip come forth the it will lag insanely much as well.

It is like the app with the popup somehow is given way too many resources and that limits the programs that really needs them

Specs:

Q6600 @ 3Gz

4Gb PC6400 HyperX ram

Asus 8800 Gts 512

This is currently my biggest concern in vista, so if anyone know how to fix it I would be grateful.

Not sure if I am allowed to ask this inhere, but this is the only place I know with a lot of vista installs.

I have everytime I have installed Vista had some fps drop problems, especially in VLC (Playing 720p and 1080p) and in WoW (Window mode)

Everytime I get a popup in msn (A new message or a person going online) my framerate is divided by 10 and the same seems to happen in VLC but here its also if I cilck on the menu items while the movie is playing like clicking video -> subtitles etc, just having those "popup" windows forth makes the computer lag like crazy. And apparently its not everyone who have the problem as my friend never have the problem who is also playing WoW.

Also if I hold over a program in the toolbar which makes a tooltip come forth the it will lag insanely much as well.

It is like the app with the popup somehow is given way too many resources and that limits the programs that really needs them

Specs:

Q6600 @ 3Gz

4Gb PC6400 HyperX ram

Asus 8800 Gts 512

This is currently my biggest concern in vista, so if anyone know how to fix it I would be grateful.

Vista is notorious for having difficulty playing HD content. I've read more than one article on it, but alas am too lazy to source you. From what I can remember they didn't provide sound solutions either so your not missing out. I vLited my copy of Vista within a week of having my new system so I can't say weather or not vLiting would help with that. My guess is it would.

But consider this...this is my system:

Q6600 @ 3.0GHz

8GB Patriot Extreme Performance 1066 RAM

EVGA GTX280 Superclocked

plus I'm running a vLited version of Vista with almost 2 thirds of the original ISO size lopped off and I still get some fps issues. I also found them to be more prevalent in VLC so I've switched to Media Player Classic, and sometimes will even use the Zoom Player that comes with the Combined Community Codec Pack. Furthermore, I almost never multitask when watching a movie on my PC. I would bet closing all other apps would, in itself, do wonders.

Best of luck.

I have a fast system as well, but your not reading my problem.

I would not consider seeing a person getting online on MSN as multitasking, but it still makes me lag.

I have the same cpu as you but the problem still stays even if I overclock to 3.4Ghz so thats not the problem! Its a software issue in vista as it happens in both VLC and in WoW or SMPlayer. I am not running any other things in window mode

Here is an exampel, having that menu open in the top makes the movie lag insanely much, closing the menu and I have no problems whatching the movie. If MSN had made a popup message saying "Dude123 has come online" It would be the same lag.

lagrr1.png

Here is a few more screenshots first one is lagging like crazy second is running smooth and there its the start menu being open that causes it

14015417131.png

14015617131.png

Edited by Mech0z

Fixed it doing this : 140183b11db.png

I understood your problem perfectly well. What I was trying to say was that no amount of Ram or Video Ram seems to do the trick. It's just glitchy. At work we run decent systems too with Vista x64 and we have the same lag and fps issues. Incidently, I don't have near the problems on my notebook which has lower-end hardware but an x86 OS.

At work we used the same fix as you to clear things up a bit. Glad you found something.