Re-installing Windows XP Pro using new CD?

jimmyg

Hi,

My three-year-old computer is getting constant BSODs and I want to re-install Windows XP Pro on it. None of the hardware has changed, so I should have no problems re-installing and re-activating Windows XP Pro SP2 OEM using my original genuine license.

Will I have re-activation/re-installation problems if I use my SP2 OEM license with a Windows XP Pro SP3 OEM disk? I have no problems using my SP2 OEM disk and then patching SP3 on top, but I'd rather just have SP3 from the get go.

Anyone try this before?

Thanks!

You can install with your sp2 disk and upgrade to sp3 via windows update (Slower), or slipstream sp3 into a new install disk and install from that. (Faster). Look at the unattended thread here for advise. This is provided you can keep your machine up long enough to do it.

If you slipstream SP3 into your windows installation source you'll need a new Product Key... Microsoft changed the product Key structure when they implimented SP3 so that if you're installing from a slipstreamed media you need a new CD Key.

You can still install from your SP2 Source and then install SP3 afterward though...

Bullpucky.

They just blacklisted a heck of alot more serials.

I have over a dozen retail and 1 corp serials that ALL date back to when XP was released. (2 from the day it came out at the store.)

They all work fine with slipstreamed XP SP3...

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

If you slipstream SP3 into your windows installation source you'll need a new Product Key... Microsoft changed the product Key structure when they implimented SP3 so that if you're installing from a slipstreamed media you need a new CD Key.

You can still install from your SP2 Source and then install SP3 afterward though...

Totally incorrect. Microsoft updated the slp engine to handle NOT having a serial during setup, and also blacklisted TONS more illegitimate serials. However, keys that are legit that worked since RTM back in 2001 still work with SP3. The setup slp engine for handling product keys has not changed in that regard, the only change is the addition of many more blacklisted keys and the ability to install an SP3 disc without a serial at all (30-day grace period).