How to default Flash to Low Quality mode?

nuSharper

i've noticed that some of the Flash players embedded in websites support the LOW QUALITY playback mode (if you r-click the video and choose it from the contextual menu). www.Hulu.com is an example of a site where low quality mode is an option. the advantage of said mode is that it puts very little toll on the CPU and playback is very smooth.

is there a way to make Flash always default to LOW QUALITY playback? i tried using 2 different Greasemonkey scripts but the result isnt constant. Flash in some sites default to Lo-Q, but in other sites it doesnt.... (!)

one example of a site where Flash is very heavy (and the Greasemonkey extensions have no effect) is the History Channel site. i've tried to watch an episode of "The Universe". is there a way to tweak Flash, the Flash Players, Firefox or Windows so that Flash playback is less CPU-intensive?

maybe there's a way to get the Flash stream to play on VLC or Media Player Classic? that would solve the problem too as those programs handle Flash very well.

any suggestions welcome.

I think streaming media VIA FLASH is pretty stupid,1/2 the time it doesnt play well unless you have the latest crap!!

I also would be interested in knowing if this is possible!

Edited by Dude111

• 1 month later...

there's a Greesemonkey script that makes VLC the default player for Flash videos on YouTube. when compared to the standard Flash plugin, the difference in performance is HUGE. playback in fullscreen is great! the Flash plugin sucks balls.

there must be a way to make VLC the default player for **all** Flash videos online.

I think streaming media VIA FLASH is pretty stupid

Well, it sure beats whatever most sites used before (quicktime, eww).

There are only so many alternatives... People would also complain if it was WMV or Silverlight based.

As for requiring the latest player, that's not a problem with flash, it's the site owners that willingly force you to upgrade. Not that I've ever seen that be an issue.

Streaming Video taxes two resources: your bandwidth and your processor.

What is nice about the flash plugin is it is available for different operating systems and browsers, sites can customize the play controls, its relatively small, and doesn't interfere with system file associations.

As for passing the flv (flash video file) to an external media player, you might try these Firefox addons:

Video DownloadHelper - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006

MediaPlayerConnectivity - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/446

BTW be sure you always download the flash plugin from Adobes website, as some drive-by-download malware sites pretend you need an upgrade and send you an infected installer.

Reading Material: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash