External Hard Drive

frogman

:whistle: Make sure to use a "Belkin2.0-USB"cable on your external Hdd , it'll save time transfering files and acts like a Usb2.0 on a Usb1.0 :thumbup It may take a day(at least) ,if you are organized with transfers of your files :hello:

So if I buy a Belkin 2.0 USB cable I should then find that the transfer speed will act similar to USB2?

I do have maximus nusb3.3 installed.

No, of course not. Your USB1 host controller cannot provide USB2 speed, regardless which cable you use. If thydreamwalker gets USB2 speed, he has an USB2 controller without knowing it.

Just plugin an USB2 controller. I wouldn't be surprised if it's cheaper than that Belkin cable.

Edited by Mijzelf

No, of course not. Your USB1 host controller cannot provide USB2 speed, regardless which cable you use. If thydreamwalker gets USB2 speed, he has an USB2 controller without knowing it.

Just plugin an USB2 controller. I wouldn't be surprised if it's cheaper than that Belkin cable.

Mijzelf,

Where will I find a USB2 controller? is this similar like when I added an ethernet card to my motherboard?

thydreamwalker,

Do you know if you do indeed have a USB2 controller?

Edited by frogman

If you purchase one of these cards that uses the PCI bus, can you disable USB in BIOS? Having this enabled in BIOS adds time to my bootup. Also will this allow devices attached to be seen while in DOS?

Thanks

If you purchase one of these cards that uses the PCI bus, can you disable USB in BIOS? Having this enabled in BIOS adds time to my bootup. Also will this allow devices attached to be seen while in DOS?

Thanks

Can only answer from my own experience which is this:

1. USB on motherboard packed up (following a lightning strike!) , so I installed a PCI-USB card. Yes, you should be able to disable USB (motherboard provided USB) in BIOS.

2. Whether new USB will be detected in DOS I don't know, except to say that I use Ghost 2003 (DOS) and it detects mine.

Edited by Analada

Also will this allow devices attached to be seen while in DOS?
Depends on what you mean. For dos it's doesn't matter if an USB controller is onboard or on a PCI card. It's just a PCI device. So devices which are not accessable with the onboard controller, will not automagically be accessable with the PCI card.

On the other hand, some BIOSses have 'legacy support' for certain USB devices like mass storage devices and mice. They emulate a standard IDE disk or a ps2 mouse when they detect such a device during boot. This makes this device is accessable from dos. I don't think in this case it will also accessable if plugged in the new controller.

But if you have dos drivers for your device, it doesn't matter.

When I added an external hard drive, I found the built in USB to be incredibly slow. My hardware is old, an HP Pavilion 4463 that came with 98FE. I installed NUSB for 98FE but there wasn't much improvement. I installed a Stratitec USB 2.0 upgrade card from the local WalMart. It's very similar to this one. It came with Orangeware drivers, which are used by many of these cards. I've since upgraded them to version 2.3, which seems to be the best ones for my hardware. I haven't tried USB sticks as I don't need them, but everything else I've plugged in works just fine. There's an initial delay of a couple seconds when I first access the external drive, but after that it seems almost as fast as the internal drives.

Adding the card didn't have any noticeable effect on my bootup times. I didn't have to make any changes to BIOS settings. The external hard drive is completely accessible from DOS if you have the right drivers loaded.

Rick

:hello: Does your USB need it's own additional Power to Run better through Usb Port???Check Manufacturers Website-as my Usb Hdd pulls a lotta resources/energy to run correctly;if i don't attach proper cord made for it ,it runs sluggish;and when i notice to do it properly, it just flies. :thumbup (*FreeAgentGoUsb250GB/SeagateHdd)

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my 2 cents-

I have been using external h.d's on my WIN98SE for many years as I now have over 30 full externals that I have been collecting the years. I have had my share of issues which were brought on by installing all the different drivers through the years until my system got driver over load, my low tech description.

(check out my previous posts and for issues I have had with externals)

The best advice I got was to remove ALL the existing external drivers and install maximus nusb3.3. Brilliant it was as all my problems went away and maximus nusb3.3 has recognized all the externals I have plugged in since. (Thanks to all those that helped me and maximus for his driver.) I had a Belkin USB2 installed already.

I presently have a MyBook 650 gig external hooked up that works like a champ. I have never partitioned this nor any of the previous externals just plugged them in and started using them. I have a 1 ter as my next external once this M.B.-650 is filled. The box said the 650 was for WINXP and Vista with no mention of WIN98SE. The M.B.-650 is factory set for FAT32 by default so it's perfect for us WIN98SE users, no reformatting necessary just plug in and go.