[2009] Favorite Anti-Malware application

[2009] Favorite Anti-Malware application  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite anti-malware application?

• Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    • Anti-Malware Toolkit
    • SUPERAntiSpyware
    • RogueRemover
    • Ad-Aware
    • Spybot S&D
    • Windows Defender
    • a-squared Anti-Malware
    • SpywareBlaster
    • HijackThis
    • My professional tech mind/Common sense
    • A combination of the above (Please post)
    • All of the above
    • None of the above

For me, I rely on my tech mind and my Anti-Malware Toolkit. :)

If I've left anything off the list let me know and I'll add it. Also, if you want to vote for the item you want added wait to vote until I or another mod adds the item to the poll. It makes it easier for us to update the poll list.

Well, I agree that common sense keeps you out of trouble, and that's case with me, but if I sometimes got infected with a malware, Super AntiSpyware cleaned it very good. It surely detect more malware then any other anti-malware tool. Spybot S&D is pretty good, but they are acting non serious, when classifying the malware.

Cheers ;)

I've never been infected. Hosts files, using non-admin accounts, disabling everything that's not required (like services), setting permissions on known abused registry keys, and using non-MS browsers like Firefox of Opera (with every known mal-, spy-, whatever-ware site blocked) works wonders. Common sense, like I said. ;)

I believe common sense would fall under tech mind. Then again after reading your post I'd question how much of it is common sense and how much of it is falling into the urban myths. I say this because of "relying" on such things as host files for malware blocking and disabling services.

I believe common sense would fall under tech mind. Then again after reading your post I'd question how much of it is common sense and how much of it is falling into the urban myths. I say this because of "relying" on such things as host files for malware blocking and disabling services.

For the record, malware gets installed from certain hosts/IP addresses. It's the same principle most addblockers use, not to mention spamfilters and the like. Some of them (ab)use certain services as well. Many of the programs in the above poll (and programs not present in it) keep their own host file that blocks malicious addresses and disable certain services. I don't need some dull program to do that for me...

And the hosts file can very easily be compromised, quite often I've seen it replaced with a malicious hosts file. It offers zero security and is not meant to be used for protection.

A little know how, the sysinternals suite, and the usual tricks (safe mode, etc). Haven't come across something I couldn't remove yet (and in mere minutes), but these days I do very, very little of this (friends' PCs, not even once a month). Then again, I never head of half the apps on that list...

Edited by crahak

• 1 month later...

Spywareblaster, no hassles no memory hog, just open, and add bad sites to your browser block list, and off you go. And yes tech mind/Common sense is the key to avoid malwares, because even the top antimalware app cant catch everything.

• 1 month later...

i use Anti-Malware Toolkit.

Common sense mostly keeps the malware in rather than out.

I used to do the same, block the malware from accessing the internet.

But it proves useless for there are many with different names and some are embedded in other important windows files.