Puttering sounds coming from headphones

rjisinspired

For about a little over a month I have been getting the following sound:

http://rjschat.dyndns.org:8080/Paranoha/audcom/puttering.mp3

Is this interference of some kind? I cannot pin this down and this is new. This sound did occur, to my knowledge, before I had been left without a computer, waiting for the new power supply last month.

The audio doesn't record to a file when I use cool edit or a program. I had to use my voice recorder to pick it up.

Woah, That is really strange, If I heard that at like midnight in pitch black listening to music, that would really freak me out. I have no idea what that is caused by, did you make sure the connectors was all cleaned? Did you try other headphones?

I have confirmed that this sound comes through even when the audio is muted through the windows mixer? :blink: Uhmm.

When I did the reseating of the CPU not long ago I went over the computer and everything looks clean and organized. This system is one-year old.

Edited by rjisinspired

No wireless headphones. I don't own anything wireless.

My sound card is built into the motherboard and I updated the software for that and for the bios last year sometime.

I did have an audigy card at one time but it ended up not working after a short while. Bad batch maybe. I then went back to mainboard audio.

I'm thinking it might be interference from somewhere maybe in the building or outside nearby.

No neon lights, nor any part of computer decorative with lights or other fixtures for display purposes.

I would need to save up for a good sound card. The ones at Wallyworld, geforces, are hit and miss. Must be poorly made or are send-backs from the consumer. I generally order online though in emergancies will go the Wallworld. I am using inline audio directly from the board. RealTek HD audio chip in an Intel d945GCCR motherboard.

My first thought would be interference from a fan, maybe the one in the new power supply.

It could also be dirty power. Try plugging the computer into a different outlet, on a different circuit.

In my basement studio I have a separate power line that powers only the audio equipment. It doesn’t get rid of all the poltergeists but it helps.

But before you fix it, do a high quality sample. It's got a new age mountain stream/cricket kinda sound that might work in a remix. :D

Edited by Sysdll

This sound doesn't record using audition through the stereo mix. Maybe Total Recorder could do it? I could use the external mic from the Logitek but then that would defeat a good quality sample.

I did find out that there are two people in the building that have been using police scanners for quite a while now. Though this interference is recent, just a thought.

I'll check outside the building when that noise happens again to see if I can rule anything out.

Power supply could be a possibility. i'll look into this also.

Thanks.