Can't start Repair Mode in Windows 7 Beta 1

shockme17

So, I restarted my buggy 7 beta installation and now get blue screens telling me UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

I've tried booting into safe mode and I get the same thing. So there is a new option to Repair Windows if it doesn't start correctly.

It will load, except all I get is a black screen and mouse cursor that I can move around.. No keyboard controls work. I've tried CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up a task manager, but no such luck

So I tried booting 2 different versions of DigiWiz MiniPE and they do the same thing. Start up with a black or a wallpapered screen with a mouse cursor, but no button.

Are these two problems related?

Any suggestions on unmountable_boot_volume?

Thanks!

Sounds bad. Sounds like the boot sector is damaged. Possible hard drive problem? Virus? Can you get to the Win7 or Vista DVD to boot to repair option? If you can, then run 'CHKDSK /r' or scandisk. Then run 'FIXBOOT' or 'FIXMBR' to rewrite the boot sector.

Edited by wguimb

That's what I'm trying to do now.. seems like the win7 dvd didn't see the installation..

the weird thing is that i was able to boot into it after leaving the machine off for a day, then i restarted and then i got the unmountable error..

Are there any tools that will allow me to perform chkdsk or fixboot on an unmountable volume? anything on hirens or ultimate bootcd?

also- any explanation for the weird no start button on the MiniPE?

Thanks again

That's what I'm trying to do now.. seems like the win7 dvd didn't see the installation..

the weird thing is that i was able to boot into it after leaving the machine off for a day, then i restarted and then i got the unmountable error..

Are there any tools that will allow me to perform chkdsk or fixboot on an unmountable volume? anything on hirens or ultimate bootcd?

also- any explanation for the weird no start button on the MiniPE?

Thanks again

I have used Hiren's and other emergency boot CD's but what you need is to boot from a Vista or Win7 DVD. Select the option to repair, or recovery console or boot to safe mode if you can. You could try getting a hold of a copy of the disk utilities, like Norton Disk Doctor, Disk Keeper, etc.. Maybe they could help.