nHelper error

StarGazer2112

Hello everybody,

After a long time without slipstreaming I had to do it and encountered the annoying "nHelper not found" error ( that's not as rare as many would like or say it is ) :whistle:. Researching a little bit I think I have found where is nLite doing the wrong stuff that leads to the error.

Looking inside the compressend nLite.INF file, in the \I386 folder of the slipstreamed windows, I've found the following:

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_s03",0x00020000,"nhelper delete ""%10%\SET3.TMP"""

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_s04",0x00020000,"nhelper delete ""%17%\INFCACHE.1"""

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_s07",0x00020000,"nhelper delete ""%11%\nhelper.exe""" :sneaky:

HKU,".DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","_nltide_3",0x00020000,"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx nLite.inf,C,,4,N"

HKU,".DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","_nltide_2",0x00000000,"regsvr32 /s /n /i:U shell32"

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_s05",0x00020000,"nhelper moveex ""%17%\syssbck.dll"" ""%11%\syssetup.dll"""

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_s06",0x00020000,"nhelper moveex ""%17%\syssbck.inf"" ""%17%\syssetup.inf"""

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_00",0x00020000,"nhelper rd /q /s """"%SystemRoot%\eHome"""""

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_01",0x00020000,"nhelper rd /q /s """"%SystemRoot%\System32\ime"""""

( This is, of course, just an excerpt, there's a lot more lines )

If we take a look at the third line, we'll see that nhelper.exe IT'S DELETING ITSELF ! That's probably because of a previous slipstreaming. nLite seems to be doing some housekeeping, i.e., on the first slipstreaming, when it has done all it is supposed to do and is no longer needed, it "takes out the trash", deleting everithing that it's taking out space without reason, including itself, which is good programming practice after all.

The buggy behaviour comes when you do another slipstreaming over the first and this second ( or third or whatever ) needs nhelper.exe to more stuff, like removing components or setting up unattended options. It includes more lines referencing the program but it will not be there anymore !

Patching the file, by removing the line or moving it to the end corrects the problem. To do that you must extract the nlite.inf file from the nlite.in_ file, using any normal compression program ( i've tried 7-Zip, WinRaR and IZArc and they all have worked ), edit the file and re-compress it and that last it's the annoying part: you''l have to do it with the M$ old-timer, console based compress.exe ( at least I couldn't manage to do it in any other way ) and, OF COURSE, put it back where it belongs: the \i386 folder of your slipstreamed windows.

Doing that everytime you slipstream will be a huge annoyance :blink: so let's hope it gets fixed.

Bye :hello:

StarGazer2112, it sounds like you have run nLite on your source more than once. This leads to many varied and bizarre results. You should always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders. I looked in my nLite.INF and found lots of references to nhelper and delete near the bottom. Here is the last few lines of the file. I am running XP x64 and the file is in my AMD64 folder. Enjoy, John.

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_s02",0x00020000,"nhelper del /q /s """"%10%\SET*.TMP"""""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_s03",0x00020000,"nhelper delete ""%10%\SET3.TMP"""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_s04",0x00020000,"nhelper delete ""%17%\INFCACHE.1"""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_s05",0x00020000,"nhelper moveex ""%17%\syssbck.dll"" ""%11%\syssetup.dll"""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_s06",0x00020000,"nhelper moveex ""%17%\syssbck.inf"" ""%17%\syssetup.inf"""
HKU,".DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","_nltide_3",0x00020000,"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx nLite.inf,C,,4,N"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_s07",0x00020000,"nhelper delete ""%11%\nhelper.exe"""

Johnhc,

It sounds like you didn't understood what I was trying to do in my post: I was posting a solution to the problem.

YES, I ran nLite on my source some dozens of times, as I always did without "many varied and bizarre errors" on previous versions.

I wouldn't get near nLite if I had to start from scratch every time. Reinvent the wheel on a weekly basis consumes time that I don't have and it's just plain stupid.

A bizarre error is what is called by tradition a bug in the program and I was pointing out where is it, by interpreting the command lines in the nLite.inf file.

The nhelper.exe is a replacement command line utility that nLite uses instead of the standard windows cmd.exe. As I wrote, the first lines that issue the delete command are executing a housekeeping job by deleting temporary files generated during the installation process. In the end of the housekeeping the programmer of nLite decided that nhelper.exe should delete itself for the job to be complete.

The problem comes when you do other slipstreamings that ADD more tasks for nhelper.exe to execute, like in the fourth and fifth lines you've posted of your nLite.inf:

This two issue moveex commands which are replacing syssetup.dll and syssetup.inf with non-standard versions, probably to skip OOBE and/or do other tweaks in the end of the setup process ( GUI stage ) specified by you in your nLite options.

There are some situations when the delete command on nhelper.exe is there and some where it is not. That's the essence of a bug: a situation where sometimes the program do the right stuff and sometimes doesn't. I've been programming for 28 years now, seen it a lot, been there, done that. So I was pointing it out, hoping it helps.

Bye

StarGazer2112, I think I did understand you were proposing a solution to your problem. If it works for you, have at it. I was suggesting a solution for avoiding the problem. The author of nLite (nuhi) has stated that a fresh copy of the CD files/folders should always be used. Some have proposed that nLite check to see if the source has been nLited before and issue a warning. I support this idea because I have seen here many varied and bizarre symptoms caused by reuse of the source. Most of the users have little or no experience in editing installer files and few have 28 years. If you really believe this is a bug, then PM or e-mail nuhi and suggest a solution. I think the source is not public and he is the sole owner and implementer. Enjoy, John.

Johnhc,

I thought that everybody who would dare to mess up with something like rebuilding your OS installation media would have at least the skills and understanding to do this little song and dance with the .inf file. I'm probably wrong.

But I still think that this recomendation of always using a fresh copy of the files/folders is like a company that builds cars saying "hey, the brakes on this model behaves strangelly sometimes, so please, do not go over 5 miles per hour and you should be safe". The kind of stuff Micro$$$oft does a lot and make wanna byte my own ears ( to keep the language acceptable ).

Based on my experience as a programmer I firmly believe this is a conceptual bug.. Maybe I should contact the author of nLite but I also think it's good to discuss this things in the open.

Bye

Guess what i am going to say?

This isn't a bug! Nhelper.exe is only needed for first time logging into system,creating custom named user account and such things. No need for nuhi to come with an update with just false error/bug reports, screaming for an update for no good reason.

edit: a bit disturbing to see that someone being a programmer themselves cannot take some time to research this properly yet use that "status" as programmer, to proclaim this as an bug. Sigh..

Edited by TranceEnergy

TranceEnergy,

You haven't read the whole first post or perhaps you did it in a hurry...

( Have you noticed that nhelper.exe is called again after it's deleted ? )

If in a function gives a buffer overflow only after sometimes it's called do you think it's acceptable to say "why didn't you restarted your system between calls of this program" ? It's a similar situation.

A bit disturbing to see someone who hasn't analyzed things thoroughly jumping to criticize who did it and was crystal clear in exposing it's findings.

I am soon going to start saying stupid things like i am always 100% right because that is the trend in these cases.

I find it very hard to believe you are a programmer, if you read the syntax you will see there is nothing wrong at all.

on that note:

Hello and welcome to the forums B) , i see you'r new here. I'm not.

Fyi: i read very,very,very, fast.

edit:

Also as john says, which is common knowledge:

Always use a clean source. End of discussion. Case closed. Call it a day.

Edited by TranceEnergy

What's the point in the syntax being correct and the TEMPORAL ORDER of things being wrong ? Have you ever used a compiler ? Try to get some code and mix up the lines too see if can get something that works.

So now syntax is everything is needed ? All right, scramble all the paragraphs in your favorite book randomly and let's see if it retains sense.

Fyi: Reading very fast it's just a good thing when you can understand the meaning of what you're reading. It's like not chewing your food.

Fyi either: I maybe new to this forum but I'm not new to nLite and have been dealing with programming since there were no PCs, in the eight bit/one kilobyte memory/assembly programming days so I've learned a thing or two.

Thanks for making me having to repeat my point. Read over it again. There is nothing wrong in it. It's the correct order.

If you want to compare e-penis : 1) Dont make me laugh 2) This isnt that kind of forums.

Edited by TranceEnergy

Trance you are giving pointless arguments to the OP that make no sense. :thumbdown

StarGazer only spotted the problem that can recreate when using nlite in a source more than once. :thumbup

Posting the problem can be good do nuhi can possibly fix this. No one is demanding anything, its for nuhi to decide what todo with the bug report. :whistle:

This is a perfectly fine bug report. Flaws are bugs to, and you fail to admit that you are wrong. :rolleyes:

Trance you are an arrogant douche bag, go do something usefull and play with yourself. :hello:

Have to protect my fellow programmers :angel

Woooow... I'm not a programmer but I can see StarGazer's point. Now to say that his problem doesn't come from nLite but from the fact that "it seems" he's running it more than once on the same source is not the most helping as he states clearly himself that he does and that it is the cause of the problem and he was just pointing to the exact location of the problem with a possible solution. That gets him a bit annoyed. I can understand that. The rest of the thread totally is irrelevant.

a bit like

-nLite does A, B, C but doesn't work properly when you do D, well I think the bug with D comes from E and you could solve it by doing F. Anyone interrested ?

-I can't see any problem with my E, your problem probably comes from D anyway which you're not supposed to do, so it's not a bug.

-you don't get it.

-how very dare you ?

Anyone got something technical to add ?

Despite all your best intensions. There is nothing wrong here in what stargazer seems to think is error. Ie see highlight.

That he has run nlite preset on same installation dozens of times however is more concerning by incredible difference.

I just doublechecked and my nlite inf has the same content that nhelper is deleting itself.

It's perfectly normal. Try with a clean source, it would be more helpful in pinpointing the line number issue if thats the case, but to base result on such a old source is like begging for problems you know.

Edited by TranceEnergy