Faster router caused slower transfers! Help please.

Fr33m4n

I recently purchased a NAS for file storage and media streaming. It had been reviewed to reach average network transfer speeds of 25MB/s. However, I have a Gigabit LAN port on my mobo, but it was hooked up to my old D-Link DI-643M (or some such) which only had a 100Mbit max LAN transfer speed. I belived this was the reason that the max speed I was able to transfer to my NAS at was around 10-11 MB/s, but that was a nice steady speed.

However this speed would not do for some of the tasks that I had in mind, and so I purchased a D-Link DIR-655 N router which has Gigabit lan. I hooked it up and got everything running. I made sure to update the firmware as the one that came installed was quite old. Wireless was blazing compared to the older one and range seems terrific, but that was just a nice added bonus. But here's the funny thing.

When I started transferring files to my NAS the speed would start out around 15MB/s. Then it would quickly plummet down to about 6MB/s. It would then go up to about 12MB/s, before going back down again to about 6MB/s. It would then keep yo-yo'ing back and forth between these speeds. The result of this is that the average transfer speed is actually slower then the old 100Mbit router and things are taking considerably longer. This was when transferring larger files. Smaller files were even worse with speeds hitting no more then 3MB/s.

I don't have much experience with these things. Usually I just hook things up and they just work, but this just can't be right? Is there anything I can do? I'd really appreciate some help in working out these problems.

I recently purchased a NAS for file storage and media streaming. It had been reviewed to reach average network transfer speeds of 25MB/s. However, I have a Gigabit LAN port on my mobo, but it was hooked up to my old D-Link DI-643M (or some such) which only had a 100Mbit max LAN transfer speed. I belived this was the reason that the max speed I was able to transfer to my NAS at was around 10-11 MB/s, but that was a nice steady speed.

However this speed would not do for some of the tasks that I had in mind, and so I purchased a D-Link DIR-655 N router which has Gigabit lan. I hooked it up and got everything running. I made sure to update the firmware as the one that came installed was quite old. Wireless was blazing compared to the older one and range seems terrific, but that was just a nice added bonus. But here's the funny thing.

When I started transferring files to my NAS the speed would start out around 15MB/s. Then it would quickly plummet down to about 6MB/s. It would then go up to about 12MB/s, before going back down again to about 6MB/s. It would then keep yo-yo'ing back and forth between these speeds. The result of this is that the average transfer speed is actually slower then the old 100Mbit router and things are taking considerably longer. This was when transferring larger files. Smaller files were even worse with speeds hitting no more then 3MB/s.

I don't have much experience with these things. Usually I just hook things up and they just work, but this just can't be right? Is there anything I can do? I'd really appreciate some help in working out these problems.

First off, which NAS do you have? Does it use IDE or SATA drives?

First off, which NAS do you have? Does it use IDE or SATA drives?

I have Synology DS408 with 2 x Seagate 1.5TB 7200.11 SATA drives in RAID 1. I realize there might be several reasons I might not be hitting the average speed reported by others but the only thing that changed between LAN speeds of 10-11 MB/s and an average of 8 MB/s was that I UPGRADED from a 100Mb router to a Gigabit LAN router. It really seems like it should have been the other way around?

To provide more spesifics, my mobo is ASUS A8N-E, and I'm using the built in Gigabit port. I am running Vista Ultimate 32-bit, and have ESET Security Suite as local firewall. Turning it off makes no difference in the transfer speed.

Have you tried any basic stuff like using a different port on the router for both the NAS and your computer or switching network cables?

Obviously I should have thought of that. I will try it as soon as I get the chance. I have been looking at using different ports, mainly because I thought I might need some kind of port forwarding, though as far as I can tell this will only help WAN speed and not LAN? Furthermore I have looked into what ports the NAS is using and it seems to use a prefixed range of ports that I can't really do much with. I usually use an ftp app for transferring files though you may also map network drives in windows. The FTP apps initiate contact on port 21 and then starts trasnfering on a 555XX port where each transfer automatically gets a new port assigned.

I did however try some wireless transfers to my NAS from a windows XP laptop with a Wireless G card. I was sitting just a few feet from the router and getting excellent connedtion quality. I used Filezilla FTP to transfer files. It transferred 2 files at the same time with a combined transfer speed of 2.4MB/s. This also seems rather slow to me.

I tried turning off QOS on the router. It seems it might have made transfer speed slightly more stable but has done nothing for the average speed. I just don't get quite that yo-yo effect.