Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

Well, the firmware from Seagate does not load. I can successfully scan the drive, but the loading procedure aborts with exception error. Go figure...

I have tried everything: 3 PCs, AHCI/IDE Compatible/IDE Enhanced mode, with the drive being the only SATA/IDE device, but still the same.

Model: ST31000340AS

P/N: 9BX158-303

Firmware: SD15

Date code: 09086

According to the serial number check tool this drive IS affected.

I have opened a case with Seagatea and I am waiting for the outcome (I hope the drive does not fail until then).

Well, the firmware from Seagate does not load. I can successfully scan the drive, but the loading procedure aborts with exception error. Go figure...

I have tried everything: 3 PCs, AHCI/IDE Compatible/IDE Enhanced mode, with the drive being the only SATA/IDE device, but still the same.

Model: ST31000340AS

P/N: 9BX158-303

Firmware: SD15

Date code: 09086

According to the serial number check tool this drive IS affected.

I have opened a case with Seagatea and I am waiting for the outcome (I hope the drive does not fail until then).

I just read in a german forum that HDDs with P/Ns ending in -303 do not work with this iso, only endings of -300 :unsure:

No luck for me as well, I have ST3500320AS, Firmware: SD15, online check says my drive is affected, but the booting from the update cd ends with "FreeDOS" on the screen with a blinking cursor.

It sounds like you have some FreeDOS issues. Try booting with the same CD in another PC or a laptop. If it doesn't work try burning the CD a lower speeds. If it works then your PC might not be able to boot with FreeDOS. Try changing some BIOS setting, like disabling all periphetrals etc.

It sounds like you have some FreeDOS issues. Try booting with the same CD in another PC or a laptop. If it doesn't work try burning the CD a lower speeds. If it works then your PC might not be able to boot with FreeDOS. Try changing some BIOS setting, like disabling all periphetrals etc.

Thx,

trying now...

I just read in a german forum that HDDs with P/Ns ending in -303 do not work with this iso, only endings of -300 :unsure:

No luck for me as well, I have ST3500320AS, Firmware: SD15, online check says my drive is affected, but the booting from the update cd ends with "FreeDOS" on the screen with a blinking cursor.

This happened to me when I had my ICH9R controller set to RAID mode. If you have that controller, change it to IDE or AHCI in the BIOS and it should work. Of course, the actual patch probably won't. <_<

Edited by Flyover

Thanks for the advice,

I got it to boot by reburning the .iso (**** Nero :P )

As you predicted it still didn't work. I got the "Error: Specific model not found. ST3500320AS expected"-thing.

While I was at it, I pulled out the drive to find I have P/N -303 (as expected).

Good you got it "working", well more like booting, not working really. I wish I could have the Engineer that coded that FW in front of me, I will tell him a few things about QA and customer service! Hundreds of users have tried already and they are just wasting our time, it seriously looks like a joke, a very bad joke.

It worked, it worked!!!

Picked up where I left off last time after fixing the BSY problem... only needed 2 more commands after that. Clear G-List, then Format Partition, and I was good to go...

Now backing up all my files to the new WD I just bought... taking forever...

Let's see if any of the files got damaged by this whole episode, I hope not...

Now what am I gonna do with this brick? ;)

Thank you EVERYBODY for making this fix public...!!! woo hooo....

Now what am I gonna do with this brick? ;)

- Save it. Maybe it'll make a good story for your grandchildren :P

- Trash it to get rid of your frustration with seagate

- Use it as guinea pig drive in other experiments

Edited by DerSnoezie

It's in a hidden part, but if you try booting with it you will get the FW update program loaded automatically. Give it a try and you will see. Don't expect the FW update to work though as no one has been able to update their drives so far.

It's in a hidden part, but if you try booting with it you will get the FW update program loaded automatically. Give it a try and you will see. Don't expect the FW update to work though as no one has been able to update their drives so far.

ok will give a try cause if not I can't sell any hd from the shop :/

another question, has anybody info about the free recovery from seagate? about how to do it?

thx!

Edited by cunyat