Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

The disc spins up fine but my computer and laptop dont even recognise that ive plugged something in, then i heard of then type ofproblems being talked about here so i started reading the thread and got to about page 7 befor i realised a ) this thread is really long and b ) most of waht is being said is going over my head (i have no idea what most of the abbreviations stand for) , im not some computer illiterate goon but im not as advanced as some of the users on here.

as such im going to post as much information as i can here and see if anybody can give me instructions as to a home fix. the external inself is currently in multiple pieces as i took it appart and tried to install it as an internal drive and force my bios to detect the drive, this didn't work at all, obviously i can put it back together if needed.

Hi karas667

On the top of all the pages in this section, you will find the following quote:

If you have questions about Seagate 7200.11, do read the READ_ME_FIRST, then read the FGA. If your questions remain unanswered after reading those two stickies, then post.

The READ-ME-FIRST should guide you as to not have to read all the many pages, but only the relevant ones. There you will find a link to the guide by CarterinCanada and the FGA.

After you have read those three documents, and still have questions, you are more than welcome to ask SPECIFIC questions. But don't you think to ask for the whole procedure is a bit much? dubbio.gif

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, so Ive finally gotten around to getting the parts needed to (hopefully) fix my drive. However, I want to clarify one thing that I cant find the answer to before I proceed. Even after reading the stickies and whatnot, I still cant say with 100% certainty that my drive is a victim of this firmware issue, although Im pretty certain this is the case. If its actually some other issue that provides the same symptoms, will I damage the drive by doing this? I guess at this point maybe it doesnt matter, either I get my data back or I dont, but I do have to wonder.

Hey guys, so Ive finally gotten around to getting the parts needed to (hopefully) fix my drive. However, I want to clarify one thing that I cant find the answer to before I proceed. Even after reading the stickies and whatnot, I still cant say with 100% certainty that my drive is a victim of this firmware issue, although Im pretty certain this is the case. If its actually some other issue that provides the same symptoms, will I damage the drive by doing this? I guess at this point maybe it doesnt matter, either I get my data back or I dont, but I do have to wonder.

Hi CylonWolf,

Welcome back!

No problem to do the fix even on a drive that is not bricked. :D It just resets the settings to factory default (and thereby clearing the error that caused it to brick).

Good luck!

Hi CylonWolf,

Welcome back!

No problem to do the fix even on a drive that is not bricked. :D It just resets the settings to factory default (and thereby clearing the error that caused it to brick).

Good luck!

There should be no good luck involved.

Is not right that seagate get away with this - this is my second "brick"courtesy of them.

Files contained on both my "bricks" are irreplacable. I've paid my hard earned money in order to keep files which are important to me.

Best case scenario is a replacement of my bricks and/or a hugely expensive attempted recovery process.

Not good enough - if they can't provide a reliable product - then they shouldn't try to sell second rate crap and expect us to "suck it up".

Here's a thought - how about we consider taking out a class action against them?

Apologise in advance for such a strong first post - but am very p*ssed off.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by imawag

Is not right that seagate get away with this - this is my second "brick"courtesy of them.

Files contained on both my "bricks" are irreplacable. I've paid my hard earned money in order to keep files which are important to me.

Best case scenario is a replacement of my bricks and/or a hugely expensive attempted recovery process.

Not good enough - if they can't provide a reliable product - then they shouldn't try to sell second rate crap and expect us to "suck it up".

Here's a thought - how about we consider taking out a class action against them?

Edit: Spelling

Wow. Just, wow. Thank you for thoroughly reading the thread and staying completely on top of the issue and realizing that big, bad Seagate has truly gotten a huge, evil deed over on us. Fight "The Power"! Down with "The Man"!! Curse them for doing this to us and then offering to repair the drives for free and offer free data recovery!! That's just totally unacceptable because everything they produce should be 100% perfect! No flaws ever allowed!! Nevermind the fact that if we have irreplaceable data we should have multiple, redundant backups (some offsite), and if we don't that's Seagate's fault as well!! D*** you Seagate!! D*** you to H***!!! </sarcasm>

There is no luck involved. It is very straightforward. Good Luck is defined as

I wish you success. This term is used both straightforwardly, as in Good luck on your journey , and sarcastically, implying that what someone is undertaking is not likely to succeed, as in If you think you'll find that long-lost letter, good luck to you .

Did you not learn after the first brick to update your firmware and to back up your data? :whistle:

Best case is to read the stickies and repair both for a once of purchase of under $20 :D

It is a reliable product, once you update the firmware and not ignore the fact that some of your previous disks were bricked because you did not upgrade the firmware.

Good luck to you ;)

We can see that. Now calm down, read the stickies, and if you need help to fix your two bricks without any external luck required, feel free to ask specific questions and we will try to help you.

Good Luck ;)

Edited by BlouBul

It is a reliable product, once you update the firmware and not ignore the fact that some of your previous disks were bricked because you did not upgrade the firmware.

...firmware that was NOT released before the drives started falling down bricking like flies, and additionally the early versions of the firmware update were also no good AND the stupid seagate tool DID NOT (and doesn't still) list correctly drives affected.

... and I don't remember seeing anywhere on newspapers actual recalls....:whistle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_recall

Though there are no safety issues involved, we have the Intel recall of 1994 as a precedent, they could well do somethng like that....

The real issue is not in the actual problem - it may (and it has and it will) happen to *any* hard disk manufacturer, it is in the way it was managed badly once found out.

For the record, these topics have been already talked to death:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&view=findpost&p=935754

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&view=findpost&p=905666

jaclaz

• 2 months later...

heres a quick one chaps - in buying the RS232 to TTL converter do I specifically need 3.3v or will a 5v one do the job?

What is the difficult part in the README first? :w00t:

READ ATTENTIVELY point #10! :realmad:

Draw your own conclusions.

jaclaz

heres a quick one chaps - in buying the RS232 to TTL converter do I specifically need 3.3v or will a 5v one do the job?

What is the difficult part in the README first? :w00t:

READ ATTENTIVELY point #10! :realmad:

Draw your own conclusions.

jaclaz

Also see here

No need to double post. :angry: Same questions will yield the same answers. :w00t:

Edited by BlouBul

• 3 months later...

Hi there! I'm really stuck! I tried the guide with a usb to TTL, i got the adapter to work (through the loopback test) i connected my ST3500320AS with the adapter terminal is working ok, i got the Z (spin down command) working ok BUT when i remove the card and press the U command nothing happens! I tried with the card and i also tried removing the pcb, then connect again to run the U command but same resolt, Nothng! Can anyone help me?

Hi there! I'm really stuck! I tried the guide with a usb to TTL, i got the adapter to work (through the loopback test) i connected my ST3500320AS with the adapter terminal is working ok, i got the Z (spin down command) working ok BUT when i remove the card and press the U command nothing happens! I tried with the card and i also tried removing the pcb, then connect again to run the U command but same resolt, Nothng! Can anyone help me?

Check, double check, triple check, contacts, cleaning them thoroguhfully.

See here:

Try tightening a little bit more screws around contacts after having removed the cardboard.

jaclaz

Thanks for your quick reply, but i got no error durring the processe, i just get nothing after the spinning down!if i had an issue with the contacts, should'n i have any error message before?

Tried all the cleaning processes, no good. I can't get the drive to spin up, all i hear is some noises like it is trying to get to speed but no luck! Is it ok to skip this step?