Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

Am I having a completely different problem then the rest of you?

Apparently, YES.

Does this mean that my disks are simply bad and that I need to RMA them or is this related to the freezing, disks not being detected errors that I'm reading about?

If your disks had developed the LBA0 or BSY you wouldn't be able to access the disks at all, thus, if you can access them and low-level format them, you are NOT in such a condition and you simply have "bad" drives.

RMA them if you are still within warranty terms.

jaclaz

Has anyone updated an ST31000340AS to SD1B? Have you had any success? I have a number of these drives that are all labeled as affected, but I can't find a clear answer from anyone who has tried.

The drives are not bricked and are working fine. I'm only wanting to flash as a preventative measure.

Has anyone updated an ST31000340AS to SD1B?

That firmware will NOT work for that drive, it is for the ST31000333AS drive. The differences between them are: the data density on the platters, the number of platters, and the numbers of heads. The ST31000333AS drives has 3 disks (platters) with ~333GB per disk (~166.666666GB per side) and 6 heads (one for each side of platter) and the ST31000340AS has 4 disks (250GB per disk, 125GB per side) and 8 heads. If you still have SD15 firmware, you should upgrade to SD1A. SD1A ISO file.

Well guys I know MSFN will not take this thread down like Seagate so kindly did on their own forums so here goes.

This thread was started on Seagate's forums and the first post read like this:

Just here to say that a lot of the Iomega external drives have these affected drives in them, and they are going down at a good rate as well, Iomega are still denying anything is wrong and have just started to take out or edit all the posts about it on their forum, also from now on any new posts on their forum, does not go up until a mod has read it first and approved it.

Edited by teabagmark

Hi,

well I knew that Seagate had a problem,but I didn't know that I have it in my Dell XPS 420 !

And it died on Friday just 2 hours before monthly backup.

My photos,videos, docs ,scans lost?

I have model 500Gb ST3500620AS with firmware DE12 (made for Dell). Dell posted urgent update that doesnt work.

So I try first with Seagate,but they send me to Dell. Dell said:

- OK, no problem Sir.We are sending you new hard disk.

I said that I need my data and dont care about stupid disk.

They answer they are not responsable for my data that were lost because WELL KNOWN problem.

So I got new hard disk (Samsung F1) and Dell is asking for old one.

I said to UPS guy that I sent disk to Recovery service and dont have it now.I lied.

But what to do. There is no way I will let this HD go with my data.

I heard that Seagate can reset this HDs very easy (5 min job) so I would like to propose to all victims that we create one (huge)list and oblige Seagate together with his partners to do recover or reparation for free.

And as a lesson to all HD makers to organize a petition to Consumer right organisations (everybody in his country) that Hd makers should do free recovery of data if HD fails because of their fault.

I see Facebook as a good platform to spread this info and if you know other way just use them.

I think everybody has enough of their non-sense (We are not responsable for your data but can recover for small some of 1500USD :realmad: ).

This will be good in 2 ways:

1. People will get recovered their data for free if not their fault (60% of case)

2. HD makers will pass more time to test their HD before send them to market.

Now, show them the power of people united (just like on this forum) and the power of Internet !

PS: Thanks to Gradius2 for a resolution. I will command right away needed cables to do this.

PS: from Switzerland with chocolate :-) and welcome to our Car Show

Edited by darcotech

• 2 weeks later...

My experience with the Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB drive...

Day one: Received the drive, connected it to a SATA->Firewire bridge and duplicated data from an old Seagate 7200.10 500GB drive. Mounted 7200.11 1.5TB drive in dual drive firewire enclosure with the 7200.10 500GB drive already mounted in the enlosure. Both drives spun up and working in enclosure. (7200.10 500GB drive has been working in this enclosure for at least 18 months.)

Day two: Powered on enclosure. No drives mount. Remove drives and connect individually to a SATA->Firewire bridge. No response from the 7200.11 1.5TB drive. Connected 7200.10 500GB drive to SATA->Fireware bridge and immediately saw smoke coming from a resistor near the power connector. Disconnected power immediately and noticed that resistor is now cracked. Tested other drives with this SATA->Firewire bridge and they all work fine. (Drives include another 7200.10 500GB drive, a 200GB WD drive, an 80GB Seagate notebook drive, and a 80GB Fujitsu notebook drive.)

The only common element in the failed 7200.11 1.5TB drive and the now burnt out 7200.10 500GB drive is that they were in the same enclosure on a shared power bus. This dual drive enclosure also appears to be dead. All indications are that the faulty 7200.11 1.5GB drive caused both the enclosure bridge board and the 7200.10 drive to burn out.

Seagate support is refusing any liability other than repairing both failed drives under warranty. The statement from Seagate support was that a) Seagate does not support drives installed in external enclosures or in NAS devices (I'm not even going to get into meaningless the distinction they are making between a NAS device and a computer.), b) Seagate does not believe that a hard drive which is a consumer of power can damage any other component, c) Seagate does not perform data recovery (The two burnt out drives are my original and backup of the data on the drives.).

I'm attempting to swap the hard drive circuit board from another 7200.11 1.5TB drive to recover the data. Of course, this just rewards Seagate with another purchase but it's cheaper than paying for someone else to perform the same steps.

Realistically, there are no other options. Seagate has a better track record than the majority of drive companies. WD used to be reliable but I was burnt by the WD "RAID Edition" drives from 2007 that would randomly drop out of a RAID set although no errors occurred in any of the 12 drives in the RAID set. (WD denied any problem for months during which they were actively developing a fix.)

Edited by mrichmon

• 2 weeks later...

Hello i have bought DiamondMax22 STM3500320AS drive from two month, but yesterday the drive is not recognized or detected by the bios any more, i already found the sticky post on how to fix the BUSY problem, but i couldn't find some parts required by the tutorial in my country.

So my question is if i replaced my PCB with a brand new one from same exact model, can i be able to recover my data

back?

Thank you in advance for your help

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

Another drive died here today. But don't think it's the same problem but not sure. Have been searching for this symptoms but can't find anything usefull. The drive is stuck in an endless power-on loop. So it spins up, spins down, spins up, spins down, spins up... THe mac it was in doesn't get further then to a gray screen with it in. Is it the BSY error? Can't remember that my drive that I got BSY on got stuck in a power on loop. Is this another issue?

EDIT: Screenshot of terminal readout of the disk: http://www.irry.com/neo/bilder/temp/photoseagate.jpg

EDIT 2: This is a 500GB ES.2 disk. S/N 9QM7R50C, ST3500320NS, 9CA154-303, Firmware: SN05.

So maybe this thread is my solution: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=129551

EDIT 3: Solved according to: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=847508

Edited by NEO_AMiGA

Hello all.

My story goes like.

I have a ST350032AS 500GB Barracuda that died to 0LBA problem 2 weeks ago. After doing some fast reading, I decided to upgrade firmware from SD15 to SD1A as instructed by seagate. Upgrade was succesfull but didnt solve the 0LBA problem. Some guy unbricked it for me using the terminal method for 30Euros. Data is intact, disk working fine, SMART table was reset showing 1 Power on Counts.

The thing I dont understand is that when initially died to 0LBA the drive was in normal operation under Vista, got a BSOD and then failure to HDD's Bios Detection. It wasnt a Boot of Death or how it's called. I read that the briking moment is usually at a boot time.

Do you think it could happen again?

Guys I have a dumb question but I'm desperate. I have the 1TB STE31000340AS and it bricked yesterday with the BSY stat issue apparently. I've read up on the issue and see that I can repair this, my problem is a time issue. I need to get the data off the drive ASAP. My first thought is to buy the same drive and replace the PC board: problem is I cannot find the same model locally. So, what do you think the repercussions of taking a board off another Seagate 1TB drive and replacing the failed one on my current drive would be? I would be replacing a PC board on a ST31000340AS with one from a ST310005N1A1AS-RK? Anyone tried this? Is there a chance of damaging the data on my existing platter? I know these are long shots, but time is of the essence here and desperate times call for desperate measures. Alternatively if someone knows of someone in Charlotte, NC that has the setup to do the repair, this info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for any feedback! Mike.

Guys I have a dumb question but I'm desperate. I have the 1TB STE31000340AS and it bricked yesterday with the BSY stat issue apparently. I've read up on the issue and see that I can repair this, my problem is a time issue. I need to get the data off the drive ASAP. My first thought is to buy the same drive and replace the PC board: problem is I cannot find the same model locally. So, what do you think the repercussions of taking a board off another Seagate 1TB drive and replacing the failed one on my current drive would be? I would be replacing a PC board on a ST31000340AS with one from a ST310005N1A1AS-RK? Anyone tried this? Is there a chance of damaging the data on my existing platter? I know these are long shots, but time is of the essence here and desperate times call for desperate measures. Alternatively if someone knows of someone in Charlotte, NC that has the setup to do the repair, this info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for any feedback! Mike.

HEy man

I was also looking into swapping PCB. But the answer I got that the problem isn't in the PCB but further down in the drive. SO swaping it won't help, maybe make it worse? I would look for someone in your area that can help you. There must be someone on this forum.