Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

Hi all, just thought I'd add my 2c to this issue. I have a 500GB Barracuda, SD15 firmware, site code KRATSG. It carked it on December the 26th, 2008. Coincidentally, I had a 400GB Seagate in the same machine which died at the same time - although that was due to a loud whirring noise! So believe it or not, I went from 2 hard drives to booting up to none.

Anyway I have been watching this thread hoping I'd be able to rescue my 500GB, all along I knew it was fine mechanically speaking. It gets detected in the BIOS, but the BIOS reports there is an error with the drive. Smart Tools indicates there is a SMART error, with the message "Drive has been overtemp (0)". However I don't think that's true, because the 400GB ran 10 degrees (celcius) hotter and its highest recorded temp in SMART is 53 degrees.

Of course the other issue is it detects as being 0GB.

The main reason I write is because I just tried to flash the newly released SD1A firmware (the second release) and it has changed nothing - the BIOS still reports an error and size as 0GB.

Cheers and thanks to all who have contributed to this thread!

Edited by Azkatro

The new firmware is out!!

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...sp?DocId=207951

3RD RELEASE - fix to fix the fix over the fix

New Image for ST3500320AS as of Jan. 22, 2009

MD5sum

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9007/md...sd1a2d81zq8.jpg

I will test it today. Hope it will not brick.

The SD1A patch now work with my ST3500320AS 500 GB Drive updated Jan. 22,2009 4:23 PM (GMT+08:00) Taipei

from EVEREST ULTIMATE EDITION system tool

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/2452/sd1afi4.jpg

sd1afi4.th.jpg

Edited by roadstarter

Hi all, just thought I'd add my 2c to this issue. I have a 500GB Barracuda, SD15 firmware, site code KRATSG. It carked it on December the 26th, 2008. Coincidentally, I had a 400GB Seagate in the same machine which died at the same time - although that was due to a loud whirring noise! So believe it or not, I went from 2 hard drives to booting up to none.

Anyway I have been watching this thread hoping I'd be able to rescue my 500GB, all along I knew it was fine mechanically speaking. It gets detected in the BIOS, but the BIOS reports there is an error with the drive. Smart Tools indicates there is a SMART error, with the message "Drive has been overtemp (0)". However I don't think that's true, because the 400GB ran 10 degrees (celcius) hotter and its highest recorded temp in SMART is 53 degrees.

Of course the other issue is it detects as being 0GB.

The main reason I write is because I just tried to flash the newly released SD1A firmware (the second release) and it has changed nothing - the BIOS still reports an error and size as 0GB.

Cheers and thanks to all who have contributed to this thread!

This afternoon will try how it works :)

I don't mine having 2 bricks more :whistle:

What happens to me?

i have just made the sd1a 2d update to my st3500320as and felt very happy cause it worked. It seems that the firmware issue is solved with this.

The much bigger problem is that I am extremly sceptic, when i think about the chronology of what happend. My feeling says maybe there is something else.

The first users, who had problems with drives appeard one year ago.

I think the most affected hdds were sent to seagate for RMA. Though Seagate did know that there is a problem, but they didn't stop production.

They didn't make a fix while more and more RMAs came every day.

Bugged hdds are still delivered while they are deleting the seagateforum postings about this issue. The situation is going worse in december, some say

the RMA quote is 30%.

The internet community has recognized the seagate 7000.10 problem.

3 days later: seagate has found the problem and offers a fix

sorry, wrong fix

after 3 further days new fix (seems to be ok)

........to be continued........

Now please tell me, how segate finds a solution in 6 days, when they weren't able to fix the problem in the year before.

Guys, I really need an advice for this - I've got two st3500320as on my hands, both SD15. I don't have the BSY or LBA 0 state. Yet. Fingers crossed. What I do have -is annoying r\w errors on one drive, say I download a something from the torrents and it just hangs the Os, and when i restart the Utorrent says, like there is a major CRC errors. THe second halted one day, sometimes it didn't show itself in BIOS, sometimes it BSODED my OS with nvata.sys error, or just hung the WinXp. The thing is, I need to know how to cure the drives and get the info back. Maybe, even use them afterwards. So I beg you for an advice.

Hi all!

May the iso be extracted to an usb drive instead to a CD?

You CAN boot and flash this from a pendrive, you'll just need a bootable pendrive (of course), with MS-DOS 6.22, or similar DOS.

How to extract Seagate ISO:

Open ISO with 7zip, extract the Bootable_1.44M.img file inside [bOOT] folder (inside the ISO).

Then open Bootable_1.44M.img file with Power ISO, or Magic ISO, or Ultra ISO, similar, and extract SD1A3D4D.ZIP file inside.

You only need to copy those files (unziped) to your bootable pendrive, and you're done to boot with pendrive.

At prompt just type flash (flash.bat) and it will do the rest.

Edited by Gradius2

Craig,

If you are in UK, you can try this too (the seller is in UK):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAX232-RS232-to-TTL-...%3A1|240%3A1318

I've ordered one, and am waiting for it to arrive. Numerous people have confirmed the fix works.

After you've fixed your hard disk, I would suggest deferring the firmware update till Seagate pull themselves together and release a PROPER firmware. Otherwise you may brick your hard disk again. :)

Hey poolcarpet,

You didn't have any luck finding the RS232 to TTL device from PJ? I went looking for it at DigitalMall, no luck. I hope you ordered extras :)

3RD RELEASE - fix to fix the fix over the fix

New Image for ST3500320AS as of Jan. 22, 2009

MD5sum

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9007/md...sd1a2d81zq8.jpg

I will test it today. Hope it will not brick.

The SD1A patch now work with my ST3500320AS 500 GB Drive updated Jan. 22,2009 4:18 PM (GMT+08:00) Taipei

sd1afi4.th.jpg

Does it work on drives in the BSY state?

Guys I'm so screwed! I have a

Thesis I have to present in two week and my hard drive seagate ST3500320AS wont show up on bios since yesterday (stuck/halt in BUSY state),

so I guess my only solution is the RS232 to TTL adapter mod but it will take about 2 weeks to get those items here so can I use data cable from a

samsung SGH-P850 cell phone?

Pics of my cable

cimg3191rf1.th.jpg

cimg3194dv7.th.jpg

Edited by chapin4life