Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

okay if the update is only for recognized hard drives, what do the ppl whose drives arent recognized do?

Has anyone tried the update on a PC where the drive is not visible in BIOS? In other words tried the "S" (IIRC) to scan for drives, and see if it appears.

Perhaps the firmware updater can see the drive, even though BIOS can't.

im no IT pro but i think thats pretty much unlikely. if the bios cant detect the drive how can a application see it? i might be wrong and i hope that i am but i dont have the know how to attempt this and risk further damaging the drive.

any suuggestions :wacko:

As I said the "new" firmware bricks the 500gb one's

2 HDs of mine that were working correctly after the update they can't be partitioned on windows.

also I tried to put the board from sd1a to a bricked sd15 and it doesn't work.

will wait to another firmware and see if it bricks the other hds I've to test :D

f***ing crap f***ing seagate

okay if the update is only for recognized hard drives, what do the ppl whose drives arent recognized do?

Has anyone tried the update on a PC where the drive is not visible in BIOS? In other words tried the "S" (IIRC) to scan for drives, and see if it appears.

im no IT pro but i think thats pretty much unlikely. if the bios cant detect the drive how can a application see it? i might be wrong and i hope that i am but i dont have the know how to attempt this and risk further damaging the drive.

any suuggestions :wacko:

It would be possible to force some thing of command trought the sata but I think that only seagate could know this :P

Adios amigo :)

(desde lleida :=))

im no IT pro but i think thats pretty much unlikely. if the bios cant detect the drive how can a application see it?

It's quite possible that Seagate's software can access the drive with low-level commands. If they can't, nobody can...

I'd still like to find out for sure, a local firmware upgrade is a lot better than sending it to Seagate for data recovery.

I've ended one chat with one of the support team.

She said to send her the serial nº and all the info I could send to her to see better the cases.

At the moment she told to me not to firmware any more drive

Is perfectly possible to update, even if the drive isn't begin "seeing" by BIOS.

How? ASM (assembly) !

Unfortunately almost nobody do that on nowdays, and very few out there are hardcores. :whistle:

Gradius

Is perfectly possible to update, even if the drive isn't begin "seeing" by BIOS.

How? ASM (assembly) !

Unfortunately almost nobody do that on nowdays, and very few out there are hardcores. :whistle:

Gradius

Can you try to boot using a OpenBSD CD ? OpenBSD doesn't rely on BIOS to detect hard disks.

Normally, you will see message like that in dmesg (My hard disk isn't yet bricked) :

wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <ST3500320AS>

wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA48, 476940MB, 976773168 sectors

wd0(pciide2:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode

wd0 is the first hard disk, wd1 is the second.

Instead of starting an installation, use S (Shell), then use disklabel :

`disklabel /dev/wd0c`, you may see the partitions.

If someone with a bricked drive can test this, Mine is (hopefully) working...

Guys, any ideas how I could get my data back, while I still have the chance? It shows in BIOS, The DataRecovery progs can see it, it's just, when they scan certain sectors, boom, hard drive goes to failsafe and just locks it self, till the next power-up. Active@ Unerase , GetDataBack, They see the files, I just need to tell them somehow to skip dead sectors. Anybody know if there is a software to map the Bad Sec's?

I've got a ST31000340AS 9BX158-303 SD15 drive. Dead! When powered on the drive spins but doesn't show up on the bios or anything. My current setup is using a Nforce4 controller.

So I tried to load my drive on a different computer (Dell E520) which has a ICH8 controller. Setting the bios to Bios Sata control instead of Raid Sata control and I can see the drive is there but it is reporting that it cant detect the size.

I've read that many have had some success with flashing the drive if your bios can see the drive. So I boot up the fixed ISO by kju135 to flash the drive and no luck! During scan it says it cant find the drive and then shows the Power Cycles message.

Is my only solution now to recover my data is to obtain the parts as stated in http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807 and give it a shot?

KLA1973 wrote:

axiom wrote:

Slashdot are keeping tabs on the story:

Someone claiming to be a Seagate tech posted in that thread not long ago. If he is who he says he is it doesn't sound like we'll be getting a firmware this week to unbrick the drives that were rendered inoperable by the SD1A update. Supposedly they are being extra cautious with the next release and it may be next week before we see it. That's fine by me, but I would REALLY at least like SD15 to be made available so I can flash back to a working firmware to get the one drive back online that AD14 won't work with.

Good spot KLA1973! Here is the specific comment:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1098793&cid=26542735

It's the first very sensible explanation I have seen and it looks very real. If this is real and true I extend my congratulations to maxtorman for speaking up and for having the balls to post that. I hope he doesn't get into trouble as he is the only one who has faced us directly and given as a reasonable explanation. He also not treating us like stupid people that cannot understand technical issues.

It's very sad that Seagate as a company can not take the same avenue and be direct and clear with us on what's going on here. I also suggest you read his other comments in Slashdot as they are very informative:

http://slashdot.org/~maxtorman

So when the new SD1A comes out, should I re-flash to it again? I flashed three drives (individually of course or they would not be working...) with the second release of it on Monday evening and all three drives work fine. But should I be concerned since they pulled it? My drives are 1TB.

There are many ways and devices you can use to get a terminal session to your drive. The one in the post you posted will work, but I think my method is easier.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=823633

I've got a ST31000340AS 9BX158-303 SD15 drive. Dead! When powered on the drive spins but doesn't show up on the bios or anything. My current setup is using a Nforce4 controller.

So I tried to load my drive on a different computer (Dell E520) which has a ICH8 controller. Setting the bios to Bios Sata control instead of Raid Sata control and I can see the drive is there but it is reporting that it cant detect the size.

I've read that many have had some success with flashing the drive if your bios can see the drive. So I boot up the fixed ISO by kju135 to flash the drive and no luck! During scan it says it cant find the drive and then shows the Power Cycles message.

Is my only solution now to recover my data is to obtain the parts as stated in http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807 and give it a shot?