Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

Where is the new SD1A update?

Damnit, removed files at Seagate KB. I have a brand new SD15 1Tb disk here and want to upgrade but I got a memory exception with old SD1A update.

I have the yesterday one at home. I can share it whenever i get home.

Is there a new one ?

New one is dated from today, 20th.

A data de hoje (dia 20) é o "novo", mas eles removeram, portanto... é arriscado.

It's also worth noting that drastic declines are the norm all over right now, with the present economic situation, it's not just Seagate. (Although I would bet on this whole 7200.11 mess being part of the cause for them)

Updated to SD1A last night after they silently fixed the first ISO with the incorrect flash program. So today my drives are (potentially) safe!! Happy birthday to me!! WOO HOO!! :thumbup

Actually, they removed the firmware from site again.

Gradius

Well crapola (since I can't "say" the other...). Since it worked for me, do you think all will be okay, or should I re-flash when ver.3 is released?

Edited by icefloe01

Alright, so here's what I have:

Bougth myself a nice present - 500 GB 7200.11 s***gate. Was really happy, 'coz been downloading stuff from local torrents 24 hours a day. immediately attached an HDD cooler to it. So, everything's fine, until one day winxp just showed me the "$mft something is screwed". After that my harddrive was shuting itself down at random time and random occasion. Now, I go buy myself another 500 GB 7200.11 s***gate and use GetDataBack for NTFS 3.5 and succeed in recovering my data. After that I repartiton the old one, splitting it in half. Everything ran smooth, until the new harddrive started acting like the old one. This time, I got something like a "partition table" crash. I've been torturing Hiren's Boot CD software and GDB since that. After I Used Acronis Disk Director, and just deleted the "never-mounting" partitions and created a new one it stopped crashing WinXp on boot. When I run GDB now, it can see the files, but when it reaches certain sector the prog hangs and it seems like the HDD just powers itself down, bloody thing. Now can anyone give me an advice if there is anyway I can get my data back, before I'll RMA it?

I also Used Active@ Uneraser 3, It sees the files and partitions, but when it get's to the "recover" part, it only sees virtual a and b drives. What can I do???

Almost forgot: got 2 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, f/w SD15, SC KratSG, made in Thailand

Edited by qdr

okay if the update is only for recognized hard drives, what do the ppl whose drives arent recognized do?

Good Question, what do those of us do if the Bios wont see the drive? I talked to On Track today and it will cost $500-$1900 to recover my data. That does not include the $100 fee just to look at the drive to see if they can recover the data.

Seagate's stock were almost $30/share back in 10/13/2003.

Today, is as low as $4.11/share !! :blink:

The HDD problems started around July 2008, look this incredible conscience!

It started to drop in 6/2/2008 from $22.27:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/chart...p;CP=0&PT=7

Meanwhile at Seagate:

58273193mj7.jpg

It can go to the botton, as long as they fix the firmware bug before that...

The last year (2008) was bad for them and this year results is going to be a lot worse... :puke: If investors keeps pulling out their

money they may end-up like Micropolis or get incorporated by a Korean competitor (and become Seasung... :D ). Anyway their

Barracuda 7.200 series is now pretty much commercially condemned (who´s gonna buy a 7200.13 ?) and no firmware fix for that.

Meanwhile at Seagate:

pren18l.jpg

Seagate's stock were almost $30/share back in 10/13/2003.

Today, is as low as $4.11/share !! :blink:

The HDD problems started around July 2008, look this incredible conscience!

It started to drop in 6/2/2008 from $22.27:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/chart...p;CP=0&PT=7

Meanwhile at Seagate:

Edited by sieve-x

okay if the update is only for recognized hard drives, what do the ppl whose drives arent recognized do?

Has anyone tried the update on a PC where the drive is not visible in BIOS? In other words tried the "S" (IIRC) to scan for drives, and see if it appears.

Perhaps the firmware updater can see the drive, even though BIOS can't.

Edited by Karlston