Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

hey everybody,

glad the fix is working out for everybody , i'm going to try it here in a day, thanks again to the guys who figured it out....

what i was thinking though was that one thing we never documented with all the bricks was " how full were they at , at the time of failure, mine was at 450/500 gb when it died and i had it since last april 2008 primarily empty i guess.....was wondering if it becomes unrecognized when it reached a certain amount, or did we scratch that off the list before?

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!

Updated my SD15-firmware-bricked ST31000340AS Part No 9BX158-303 to the latest SD1A firmware and it bloody well worked. The drive and all its data is again visible.

Many people are saying that this firmware upgrade won't help if the drive is already bricked, but this experience contradicts that.

Some notes...

After being bricked, the drive was not visible to BIOS in my Windows box, but was visible in the BIOS on another machine. I used the other machine to do the firmware upgrade, then moved the drive back into the Windows box as a data drive, and can now see it all in Windows. I don't know if using that other PC made a difference, but may be worth trying if you have other ones.

This post has been edited by Karlston: Yesterday, 11:01 PM

YES! -good job man! will see these afternoon :D

wow excellent news. i've been following this thread for the last few days now and am also plagued with the ST31000340AS SD15 drive. it died a few months back and was contemplating freezing the drive to attempt to recover the data thinking it might be a hardware fault or something.

now i've actually downloaded the firmware update from seagate yesterday before it was taken down so im really interested in the setup that was used to recover the drive. i've got a nvidia chipset mobo and the bios cant detect the drive at all.

thanks to all who are helping others to recover their drives. fingers crossed that i can get back our holiday pics. wife is already killing me for not backing those up.

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!

Updated my SD15-firmware-bricked ST31000340AS Part No 9BX158-303 to the latest SD1A firmware and it bloody well worked. The drive and all its data is again visible.

Many people are saying that this firmware upgrade won't help if the drive is already bricked, but this experience contradicts that.

Some notes...

After being bricked, the drive was not visible to BIOS in my Windows box, but was visible in the BIOS on another machine. I used the other machine to do the firmware upgrade, then moved the drive back into the Windows box as a data drive, and can now see it all in Windows. I don't know if using that other PC made a difference, but may be worth trying if you have other ones.

This is not possible for most of us, who have drives bricked so bad no bios can see them. I have 6 boxes in my work room right now and 5 of them have different chipsets but not one single one can see this bricked Seagate, so no firmware fix will work for me.

Slightly off topic here, this incident has gotten me spooked and I'm looking to get an external hard disk to backup my data. Is anyone using Buffalo Mini Station?

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products...ation-turbousb/

Any problems with it? I can't find any info on what hard disk lies inside, I don't want another shocker to find out it's a Seagate!!!

Gradius,

This is not true. After RMA, you get 90 days or the balance of your 5 year warranty, whichever is the greater value.

Seagate warrants that repaired or replaced products are covered for the greater of either the remainder of the original product warranty or 90 days."

I don't like Seagate now, but yet I wouldn't put them down this way :P

Thanks for the explanations, the other guy got me confuse on this matter. :wacko:

Gradius

okay it seems that there is a fix but i still dont understand how ppl r doing it. my drive is bricked and no other machine can recognize it not even in an external enclosure can some one pls help me. i have fotos and important data on this drive and dont have a clue on how to retrieve it. pls help.

Updated to SD1A last night after they silently fixed the first ISO with the incorrect flash program. So today my drives are (potentially) safe!! Happy birthday to me!! WOO HOO!! :thumbup

Actually, they removed the firmware from site again.

Gradius

Old firmware hash:

File: MooseDT-32MB-SD1A.ISO
MD5: F47E8927D241FAE6A5C85C249A57D1A1
SHA1: CE0ABB95B0A8350959DD43212A7455EA41A02782
CRC16 (ITU X.25/T.30): 3324
CRC32 (ISO 3309): 7E7F3886
CRC64 (ISO 3309): C3D44AFF55604A83

"New" one:

File: MooseDT-32MB-SD1A(2).ISO
MD5: 2C48FC21925FB2C56219AF524E3CE8A4
SHA1: 3E5CC22E03486D72BF5187287F2F473F510B6C1C
CRC16 (ITU X.25/T.30): D839
CRC32 (ISO 3309): CAD01127
CRC64 (ISO 3309): CDF9A1C717B7170E

Edited by Gradius2

Where is the new SD1A update?

Damnit, removed files at Seagate KB. I have a brand new SD15 1Tb disk here and want to upgrade but I got a memory exception with old SD1A update.

I have the yesterday one at home. I can share it whenever i get home.

Is there a new one ?