Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

As you said , with the iso it said to me that drive not detected :(

I've seen today that 4 drives that I received last week are Barracuda GT in front of the normal barracuda, anybody knows the difference? (firm is also sd15)

GT stand for Great Trash

But shhh tell nobody, that awesome TM is for a few. :whistle:

After all this, no more Seagates to me, for life (not even for free). :thumbup

Gradius

I've seen today that 4 drives that I received last week are Barracuda GT in front of the normal barracuda, anybody knows the difference? (firm is also sd15)

GT stand for Great Trash

Gradius

nice! :thumbup

Althought on our shop no more seagates too , will give try in some time but until 6 month we will go with western + samsung I think.

An update update has been released as of Jan 19, 2008 3:15PM CST (whatever the heck CST is, probably a US time zone known only to them)...

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...sp?DocId=207951

Recognises -303 part numbers

nice will give a try tomorrow

Althought the bad ones will not be recovered with the firmware ? or yes?

PD: sorry for my bad english , not my native language and I usually only read in it ;) so my writing sucks a little ^_^

Edited by cunyat

GT stand for Great Trash

Gradius

nice! :thumbup

Althought on our shop no more seagates too , will give try in some time but until 6 month we will go with western + samsung I think.

Hi guys

I'm new here, but i've been following this thread (and others related to Seagate SD15) since last friday.

You are my heroes now.

Well, i have just one question.

Is everybody telling what is going on to all people you know ?

I mean, i think every single Seagate (and potential future) customer must know the truth about this company.

Cause, i can be wrong, but every article (not discussion lists) i've read about 7200.11 failure puts Seagate as the good guys saving the day, when it is not the situation we are facing as disappointed customers.

Hi guys

I'm new here, but i've been following this thread (and others related to Seagate SD15) since last friday.

You are my heroes now.

Well, i have just one question.

Is everybody telling what is going on to all people you know ?

I mean, i think every single Seagate (and potential future) customer must know the truth about this company.

Cause, i can be wrong, but every article (not discussion lists) i've read about 7200.11 failure puts Seagate as the good guys saving the day, when it is not the situation we are facing as disappointed customers.

The probably true behind all this crappy issue:

Seagate Technology To Shed Almost 3,000 Jobs; Announces Officer Change-DJ

Wednesday, 14 Jan 2009 02:22pm EST

Dow Jones reported that Seagate Technology said it would cut about 6% of its worldwide workforce and lower the salaries of its top officers by as much as 25% as part of a restructuring plan. The Company also replaced Chief Executive Bill Watkins and President Dave Wickersham with company Board Chairman Stephen Luczo. Seagate said the job cuts announced were included in the 10% U.S. layoff figure. The Company says about 2,950 workers will be laid off in total.

So is confirmed (at least to me), it's a sabotage from some those Seagate workers (now losing his job).

This issue (SD15) is there since around June or July 2008. SD11 has a lot issues too, worst than SD15 and its was released early.

Source:

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/keyD...2200&rpc=66

Gradius

Hi everyone,

Notice that everyone has been recovering their precious data. Good for all of you.

Just want to know, can we still RMA this cursed hdd of ours after that or do we need to re-bricked them and use that as a reason to RMA?

If you re-brick, they will just send the same stuff back to you, the only difference it would be flashed by them.

Why I know? I read someone sent the drive and he got the same thing back, they just flashed with guess what? Yep!, with the very same SD15. :w00t:

Btw, after RMA you'll have just 30 (or 90 days, I don't remember now) of warranty left ! Even if the drive had been used for couple days.

Goodbye to the so called "5 years of warranty". :hello:

Gradius

Gradius,

This is not true. After RMA, you get 90 days or the balance of your 5 year warranty, whichever is the greater value.

Go to seagate website and look for "Seagate Technology Limited Consumer Warranty"

"What Will Seagate Do?

If Seagate authorizes a product to be returned to Seagate or an authorized service provider, Seagate will replace the drive without charge with a functionally equivalent replacement product. Seagate may replace your product with a product that was previously used, repaired and tested to meet Seagate specifications. Seagate will pay to ship the replacement drive to you. By sending product for replacement, ownership of the original product will be transferred to Seagate. Seagate will not return original drives to consumers. Data recovery is not covered under this warranty and is not part of the repair or exchange process. If you would like data recovery performed on your drive, it is available from Seagate as a separate service for an additional charge. Seagate warrants that repaired or replaced products are covered for the greater of either the remainder of the original product warranty or 90 days."

I don't like Seagate now, but yet I wouldn't put them down this way :P

Btw, after RMA you'll have just 30 (or 90 days, I don't remember now) of warranty left ! Even if the drive had been used for couple days.

Goodbye to the so called "5 years of warranty". :hello:

Gradius

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!

Updated my SD15-firmware-bricked ST31000340AS Part No 9BX158-303 to the latest SD1A firmware and it bloody well worked. The drive and all its data is again visible.

Many people are saying that this firmware upgrade won't help if the drive is already bricked, but this experience contradicts that.

Some notes...

After being bricked, the drive was not visible to BIOS in my Windows box, but was visible in the BIOS on another machine. I used the other machine to do the firmware upgrade, then moved the drive back into the Windows box as a data drive, and can now see it all in Windows. I don't know if using that other PC made a difference, but may be worth trying if you have other ones.

Edited by Karlston

After a few days off, I'm back. Excellent progress from Seagate and especially the group here.

Trying to catch up on all the posts. Looks like I'll see my data again after all.

Edited by Styleman

After being bricked, the drive was not visible to BIOS in my Windows box, but was visible in the BIOS on another machine. I used the other machine to do the firmware upgrade, then moved the drive back into the Windows box as a data drive, and can now see it all in Windows. I don't know if using that other PC made a difference, but may be worth trying if you have other ones.

Thanks for the heads up! I have several machines to try it out, makes it much easier than sending it back to them. Keeping my fingers crossed.