Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

False for saying (Seagate?) "in December" when the correct is until December.

Gradius

I doubt it's even "until" December. Think about it, if it was "until December" it would certainly mean they have discovered the FW fault and they have fixed it, hence they started to fit new drives with the new FW. As there is no new FW I can imply they haven't fixed it yet. They probably said December because that's probably the latest batch of drives available in retail stores, but I bet all the ones they got in the factories are also going to have to get the new FW too.

Edited by cdturri

False for saying (Seagate?) "in December" when the correct is until December.

Gradius

I doubt it's even "until" December. Think about it, if it was "until December" it would certainly mean they have discovered the FW fault and they have fixed it, hence they started to fit new drives with the new FW. As there is no new FW I can imply they haven't fixed it yet. They probably said December because that's probably the latest batch of drives available in retail stores, but I bet all the ones they got in the factories are also going to have to get the new FW too.

I believe you are correct. The point here is that they need to update the KB article because the current statement written there tries to say that the problem is only with December drives, which we all know is not true!

Edited by Madcoder

I believe you are correct. The point here is that they need to update the KB article because the current statement written there tries to say that the problem is only with December drives, which we all know is not true!

That will require Seagate being honest and come clean on these issues, which is unlikely to happen. They don't seem to care about their customers and I don't think that's going to change.

It might be until around 15th january, when the thing exploded.

Seagate will be in deep problem for sure if they won't fix this for good. Is amazing the news still didn't come up with this BOMBASTIC case.

Gradius

It's getting traction. 3 very popular sites I know they recently covered the story:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3...7200-11-failing

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/seagate-7200...l#xtor=RSS-1415

http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...ticleId=9126280

And I think they will be more very soon, hopefully a mass media site will cover it and Seagate will have to stop treating us like nothing is going on!

Seagate will be in deep problem for sure if they won't fix this for good.

Seagate are already in deep trouble. It will become very apparent when they realize that no one trusts them enough to buy their drives. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing they can do now to amend this screwup

BTW, there is a 2 TB WD drive coming out soon! http://en.expreview.com/2009/01/13/western...-this-week.html

So everyone should sell their 1 TB/1.5 TB Seagates in eBay and buy WDs. I know I will, even with a firmware fix I can't sleep quietly knowing that the drive might die anytime. And when it does I won't be able to contact Seagate as they will be a line of customers with the same problem...

I hadn't BSY problem, only 0 GB problem.

I have followed these steps:

G-List Erase:

---------------

Ctrl+z

F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 T>

(Power off and power on)

Translator regeneration:

----------------------------

Ctrl+z

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.147 msecs

F3 2>

(Power off)

I have connected the hdd to SATA port and after reboot:

ALL ARE OK

THE HDD WORKS

:thumbup:)

Thanks you, thanks Gradius2, fatlip and all the people that have collaborated.

I presume this is because the tool was complete rubbish and a lot of people reported that they bricked drives were shown as "not affected".

Affected drives were being reported as NOT affected because people were not putting in all capital letters. Seagate probably took the tool offline to rewrite it so it would not matter if the letters were capital or not. I'll bet it will be back up before too long. It was just a careless programming error I'd bet.

Excellent!!! I'll try it once I get home from work today....

*keeping fingers crossed*

I hadn't BSY problem, only 0 GB problem.

I have followed these steps:

G-List Erase:

---------------

Ctrl+z

F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 T>

(Power off and power on)

Translator regeneration:

----------------------------

Ctrl+z

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.147 msecs

F3 2>

(Power off)

I have connected the hdd to SATA port and after reboot:

ALL ARE OK

THE HDD WORKS

:thumbup:)

Thanks you, thanks Gradius2, fatlip and all the people that have collaborated.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...sp?DocId=207969

$eagate release new firmware "SD1A" for ST3500320AS, ST3640330AS, ST3750330AS, ST31000340AS. (SD15, SD16, SD17, SD18, SD19, AD14 Firmware)

!!WARNING!!

The software and information in this article could be data destructive and/or render your hard drive inoperable if not followed carefully. It is always recommended to keep a backup of critical data.

Please verify your drive model number, serial number, and firmware revision using the Drive Detectsoftware.

If your drive has one of the following firmware revisions: SD15, SD16, SD17, SD18, SD19, or AD14, click here to download the SD1A update.

Please see How do I use a bootable ISO image downloaded from your site? for assistance burning a CD using an ISO image.

If your drive matches one of the models listed in this article and does not match any of these versions of firmware, your drive is not affected.

If you are still unsure if this applies to your drive, please submit an email to disksupport@seagate.com. Please enter the model number, serial number, and firmware revision into the subject line of the email.

I'm curious... Ready but size is 0GB. => Update firmware to SD1A => will Harddisk repair?

Edited by killerB

I presume this is because the tool was complete rubbish and a lot of people reported that they bricked drives were shown as "not affected".

Affected drives were being reported as NOT affected because people were not putting in all capital letters. Seagate probably took the tool offline to rewrite it so it would not matter if the letters were capital or not. I'll bet it will be back up before too long. It was just a careless programming error I'd bet.

This is definitely not true. I have entered several serial numbers from the failed-drives Thread in Caps into the Seagate tool, most of them were reported as being not affected. So the tool was definitely not covering all drives. Besides, there was no plausibility check, if you entered any string that the tool could not identify, it always reportet "Not affected" too, which lead to even more confusion.

I really hope that Seagate have indeed found out what is causing all the trouble, and provide a solution soon. Their information policy up to now really is a catastrophy I think :(

This is definitely not true. I have entered several serial numbers from the failed-drives Thread in Caps into the Seagate tool, most of them were reported as being not affected. So the tool was definitely not covering all drives. Besides, there was no plausibility check, if you entered any string that the tool could not identify, it always reportet "Not affected" too, which lead to even more confusion.

I really hope that Seagate have indeed found out what is causing all the trouble, and provide a solution soon. Their information policy up to now really is a catastrophy I think :(

Well, now they recommend everybody with SD15, SD16, SD17, SD18, SD19, or AD14 to upgrade to SD1A, so there's no point in having a S/N check tool. I think they all may exhibit the problem; it's just that the drives made in Thailand with SD15 during some period of time are significantly more likely than the others to run into this issue. Is the SD15 firmware for drives made in Thailand different from the SD15 for those made in China? I kind of doubt it, and I think the reason drives made in Thailand failed a lot more than those made in China because of slight mechanical differences in the parts used. IIRC, there are several bricked drives that were made in China. If that is true, all drives will fail under the "right" circumstances, so it makes sense to change the firmware for all of them. I guess they first wanted to limit the scope of the issue by using the S/N check tool, but then changed their minds (either gave up or perhaps it's better for PR.)