Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

I have a drive on the way here now to see 100% if this works. It should be here within the hour.

G

Gladius2 method works? O.O

Amagod! \o/

Data lost or okay

there should be no data loss. This is writing to the System Area of the hard drive.

Seagate claims to be offering a free data recovery service for bricked drives. Has anyone used this service yet? Was it successful? I am a little leary about sending the drive out and losing my data. The info can be found in the following article from computerworld.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...ticleId=9126280

CJohnson1073

This was just announced on Friday, so I doubt anyone has used the "free" option yet.

Seagate claims to be offering a free data recovery service for bricked drives. Has anyone used this service yet? Was it successful? I am a little leary about sending the drive out and losing my data. The info can be found in the following article from computerworld.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...ticleId=9126280

CJohnson1073

Excellent guys, just tried the recovery commands, rebooted, bam! OS straight up, no problems :D so, ones you've got the RS232 connection sorted, it's about 10mins to fix the disc.

Again MASSIVE thanks to fatlip for the RS232 setup, pichi for the BSY resetting and Gradius2 for digging up the LBA0 fix \o/

Edited by gvsyn

I have a 500GB ST3500320AS drive, 7200.11, SD15 firmware.

Without any warning, it died two days ago. I could hear it working, but it wasn't even being detected in the BIOS. A lot of internet searching about this has led me here, so I could add my experience.

The first ST3500320AS drive I got was DOA. I had the replacement 6 months before it died on me on Friday. The company I got it from (I'm based in the UK) said they would send me a replacement. They said that they only considered "other options" when at least three drives had died. I feel like I am working with a time bomb.

When I read that Seagate had some kind of firmware fix for this, it eased the annoyance and frustration a bit, but trying to contact them to ask about the firmware patch was a nightmare.

I have got to the point where I am expecting a replacement HDD, but am leery about using it - in fact, I *want* it to die on me so I can get something completely different. :}

What about me living in New Zealand? Should I make a overseas phone call? Where is the seagate New Zealand's support phone call number?

From Seagate's contact us page... 0.800.443988, 12:00 AM to 9:30PM, Monday - Friday, NZ Standard Time (GMT+12)

Hope that phone number makes sense...

One other thing to keep in mind is that they are obviously updating the situation as they learn more. For example, the KB article says it is only drives which were manufactured in December, but their serial number checker tool says my drives ARE affected, and they were manufactured long before December.

No this is FALSE !

Wasn't in December only, they really should meant UNTIL december are affected.

I have two drives from August and they died.

Btw the direct link is:

https://apps1.seagate.com/rms_af_srl_chk/

Gradius

Umm, No my statement is not false. I said they are obviously updating the situation, which is true. At first they didn't admit anything, and now they have posted a KB about it. Then I gave an example of how the information was misleading in the KB article. I quote "Seagate has isolated this issue to a firmware bug affecting drives from these families manufactured in December 2008." I said that although they claim in the KB that only December drives were affected, there are obviously drives from before then also affected. You are correct, it SHOULD say something like you suggest, like UNTIL December 2008 at least. So my statement agrees with what you said in response after that, yet you wrote my statement is FALSE. :blink:

Edited by Madcoder

Gladius2 method works? O.O

Amagod! \o/

Why shouldn't works? I'm into IT since 1983, I didn't started yesterday. I was 99% sure it would works.

If is about the credits, then... I did put the credits at the end of the guide.

Btw, I lost hours to compile all the informations in a CLEAR and UNDERSTANDABLE english (did you see the original .pl infos?).

The guide was written from scratch, just used and refined (a lot) all that information.

A good example is that picture (indicating TX & RX pins), is 100% my job. You cannot compare that to a horrible ascii art.

Gradius

Looking at the solution again, I don't think you'd need to power cycle after the SMART erase, but it's not problem considering the drive is going to be hanging outside of the machine anyway. Either way, glad to have a working machine again, and it looks like the only thing to have taken any 'damage' is my firefox session, but there are any number of reasons for that to fail

Seagate is now addressing the issue big time. They have online tool to see if your disks are affected, they provide warranty replacements, as well as a fix. Problem is a firmware bug. Specifics on affected model and serial numbers; downloads; and end-user options are at:

Info on Seagate 7200.11 brick problems

(Revised) The link above is a copy of the Seagate site with live links, so you can currently click on it to run their validator, even though the original link from the first article is dead.

Screenshot of Seagate's tool that verifies at least this disk is affected, so at least we know Seagate is reporting *some* affected drives

http://storagesecrets.org/2009/01/seagates...destined-brick/

Edited by dlethe

I am not sure where you got that "big time" idea. All I see it's a company trying to hide the issue and not informing their customers exactly what's going. The Online Checker Tool has been removed from the original KB article:

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...sp?DocId=207931

although you can still access it directly if you know the URL. I presume this is because the tool was complete rubbish and a lot of people reported that they bricked drives were shown as "not affected". I think Seagate doesn't even know how big this problem is, if only they read their own forums or asked their users they would see that the KB article is a bunch of lies, there are many more drives affected than they are saying!

Excellent guys, just tried the recovery commands, rebooted, bam! OS straight up, no problems :D so, ones you've got the RS232 connection sorted, it's about 10mins to fix the disc.

Again MASSIVE thanks to fatlip for the RS232 setup, pichi for the BSY resetting and Gradius2 for digging up the LBA0 fix \o/

Thanks for this feedback! And of course many thanks to fatlip, pichi and the others involved. My 500GB 7200.11 (ST3500320AS, SD15, 5QM2****) has not yet died and according to Seagates serial number check is should not be affected. But I don't have any confidence...

Thanks for this feedback! And of course many thanks to fatlip, pichi and the others involved. My 500GB 7200.11 (ST3500320AS, SD15, 5QM2****) has not yet died and according to Seagates serial number check is should not be affected. But I don't have any confidence...

I have the same drive and the serial checker gives me the same result. The problem is the original KB article stated explicitly that model WAS affected and models built THROUGH Dec. 08 were needing an update. Now they changed the models affected in the KB article update and say it was only models made IN December. It's confusing the hell of out people and they haven't said why they changed it or if those of us with models not listed in the update need to worry. I can't even seem to e-mail them through the Seagate website for some reason. I get some weird login error even though I'm already logged in via their forums.

You are correct, it SHOULD say something like you suggest, like UNTIL December 2008 at least. So my statement agrees with what you said in response after that, yet you wrote my statement is FALSE. :blink:

False for saying (Seagate?) "in December" when the correct is until December.

Gradius

although you can still access it directly if you know the URL. I presume this is because the tool was complete rubbish and a lot of people reported that they bricked drives were shown as "not affected". I think Seagate doesn't even know how big this problem is, if only they read their own forums or asked their users they would see that the KB article is a bunch of lies, there are many more drives affected than they are saying!

My estimate is 30 millions HDs are affected (no kidding).

Gradius

Edited by Gradius2