Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

Has anyone noticed the user - Seagate_AlanM :hello:?? Maybe Seagate can join in on the discussion and help us fix this issue... Might help out a bit in the PR arena!!

Let's all welcome AlanM to the party!!! For those who don't know who AlanM is - he was one of the Seagate Forum mods who kept deleting posts which prompted us to move the discussion here.

OK.... Back on topic!!

I have built an EEPROM programmer.

The EEPROM memory is of 512K (4MBit).

I will do a backup of EEPROM memory of the PCB. Then I can do all test over PCB without any problem. Half of the firmware is here.

The problem can be a defective EEPROM, can you say your EEPROM number? (8 leads integrated circuit of the family 25XXX).

Ehhhrr, what exactly do you want us to do?

I have tested my programmer with the M25P40 memory that I had.

Unscrew torx 6 screws and see integrated circuit number.

I want make a list of EEPROM memory compatibility.

If all EEPROMs are from the same manufacturer can be an EEPROM problem.

Edited by pichi

I hear the high failure rate was from those units produced in December 2008.

Sorry, but this isn't true, I have 4 (four) ST3750330AS, all them are from Thailand and with SD15 firmwares, produced in:

- (2) them in June 11, 2008

- (2) them in July 14, 2008

Those from July died first, and one from June died a day after, I have just one "alive" (out of 4) and I'm pretty sure it will dies very soon too.

Now I'm afraid of my 1TBs (I have 2 them), they are from China, firmware CC1F, ST31000333AS and from November 29, 2008.

They all are 7200.11 family (eek!). :unsure:

I just don't trust on any new Seagate anymore. :rolleyes:

Gradius

I hear the high failure rate was from those units produced in December 2008.

Sorry, but this isn't true, I have 4 (four) ST3750330AS, all them are from Thailand and with SD15 firmwares, produced in:

- (2) them in June 11, 2008

- (2) them in July 14, 2008

Those from July died first, and one from June died a day after, I have just one "alive" (out of 4) and I'm pretty sure it will dies very soon too.

Now I'm afraid of my 1TBs (I have 2 them), they are from China, firmware CC1F, ST31000333AS and from November 29, 2008.

They all are 7200.11 family (eek!). :unsure:

I just don't trust on any new Seagate anymore. :rolleyes:

Gradius

You are correct, just check our humble dataset on that. We know. The text you refer to was published by seagate yesterday and removed within 5 minutes.

Edited by DerSnoezie

I have tested my programmer with the M25P40 memory that I had.

Unscrew torx 6 screws and see integrated circuit number.

I want make a list of EEPROM memory compatibility.

If all EEPROMs are from the same manufacturer can be an EEPROM problem.

This is just a hypothesis. If it were like that, they wouldn't bother with firmware updates in first place, they ($eagate) would just saying "you need to RMA" no matter what.

Gradius

You are correct, just check our humble dataset on that. We know. The text you refer to was published by seagate yesterday and removed within 5 minutes.

Yes, I saw that jpg here with the list, but it doesn't means you're doomed if your drive is listed there, it depends on firmware release, and that information $eagate is taking too long to release it.

Btw, the actual President and CEO from $eagate was fired: :hello:

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2...sets-10-layoff/

Alan_M, just deleted this link (above), on one of my post, so they're censuring a lot things there.

Gradius

Didn't they say "through December"? English isn't my native language, but doesn't this mean that all drives, including the ones producted in December, are affected? EDIT: Sorry, I meant all drives till December.

Edited by kadolf

Alan_M, just deleted this link (above), on one of my post, so they're censuring a lot things there.

Gradius

At MSFN? Impossible. And i don't see why he would - even if he could - delete such old news. So nice try. Will all jokers please leave the building?! so I can start enjoying my weekend XD

Edited by DerSnoezie

Howdi All,

Glad to know you missed me! In order to continue the Seagate tradition of censoring posts and providing poor customer service I have applied to become a moderator on this board as well. :thumbup

MSFN has agreed to expedite the process, so as early as tomorrow we will see the following changes:

1) Any discussion about removing the BSY feature will result in a permanent ban, Seagate can't make any money if you guys fix your own drives.

2) All instances of the words "fail", "trouble", and "died" will be replaced with "double-plus-good".

3) Any posts which do not acknowledge Seagate as the one true god will be deleted, repeated violations will result in a lengthy stay in purgatory.

We look forward to your continued dissatisfaction with Seagate products.

Thank you for worshipping Seagate.

So Gradius, first of all, welcome :) And second: what is your background in all of this and how did you find us?

Hi DerSnoezie :hello:

Thanks !

I found this forum from (guess what!) forums.seagate.com :whistle:

I read a lot of those msgs there, and did a lot research around, it's a pity Seagate didn't let us know this problem before, otherwise I could saved my gold data, and over 3 months of very hard work. :wacko:

I found out every SD is faulty, not only SD15. It seems 7200.11 was a failure in first place, this is why they released 7200.12 so fast, but hey, someone already posted a faulty 500GB 7200.12 around, but since this info is too new, is hard to verify if its true or not, but the chances (begin true) are pretty high.

I'm dealing with hard disks since 1989, and this is the first time something like this happens. Every other drive (I had or sold) lasted at least a year without any issue, the average now is 3 years and as good as +5 years, depends of how much you use it. This 7200.11 case looks like a sabotage, but then they (Seagate) should have a better QA tests facilities in case of those might happen.

It's a real pity we're paying the price for it, and at time like this makes want to move asap to SSD, too bad they're too expensive still, and will continues until around 2015. SDXC are another alternative, but they will also be a lot expensive. Until there, I'll invest on RAID 6 (or 60) so things like this will never happen to me again, and I'll stop buying Seagate's products.

Gradius