Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

I'm getting these errors when testing my still working ST3640323AS in TestDisk:

The harddisk <640GB / 596 GiB> seems too small! <<220676 TB / 200704 TiB> Check the harddisk size: HD jumpers settings, BIOS detection...

Warning: the current number of heads per cylinder is 229 but the correct value may be 128. You can use the Geometry menu to change this value. It's something to try if -some partitions are not found by testDisk

-or the partition table can not be written because partitions overlaps

What does this mean and is it related to this problem?

Hello,

I have recently bought a ST31500341AS, P/N:9JU138-302, Firmware CC1H, "Product Of China". Up to now, no problems, but can you tell me if this drive may also be affected? Fortunately it is not Thailand-made, but what about drives produced in China? Are there any known cases of failures?

This is what it looks like: seagateamgt.jpg

Thanks alot.

Edited by Jackie78

And the word spreads The Register :thumbup

:thumbup

Sometimes I LOVE the English language and it's ability to express understatements:

Users seem convinced, energetically so in some cases, that the incidence of such drive failures is far higher than the statistically low incidence of failures to be expected with any drive.

:P

And the Lawyers get hungry...

..and impatient...

Cartoon_vulture.gif

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

and techreport http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/16232

They say they have phone call in to them to get the scoop on the problem!!!

Alot of websites like tomshardware and such are computer hardware review sites which get alot of

free hardware to test out and compare against other competitiors. So I think seagate wouldn't want

to p*** them off! Since their opinion influences alot what the higher end computer geeks buy.

I just posted to slashdot.org another tech website. We'll see if they post the story. Heres my seagate press release!

Here's a story thats been brewing for awhile and although seagate and their tech support is ignoring the problem by deleting,locking seagate forum accounts etc to hide the problem it has now become a worldwide problem with seagate 7200.11 HDD failing one day when the BIOS doesn't recognize the drive. People have narrowed the problem down to a BSY flag and when they try to correct it by an RS232 port to the HDD, they clear it but get LBA 0GB then. It doesn't matter if in Raid, or non-raid either. Failure rates from 20-80%. SalvationData.com in China provide data recover tool that is moderately expensive which fixes this problem. People don't want to RMA their drive since if they do, others can look at their data Discussion and tech websites getting the latest story/gossip techsite

Also people found a knowledge base article -- which seagate quickly deleted -- that lists the drives with the problem. See archive image of their webpage image The bugs seems to be with NCQ and flush so BSD Unix patches NCQ out patch

And the lawyers are getting in the act The law which probably caused this ceo quits and employee layoff Since seagate ignored the problem and locked their accounts, people posted to techwebsites and also to wikipedia to get the word out. See the 7200.11 section and the footnotes to the discussion sites wikipedia. Now seagate issues shall live forever in posterity!! Have we gotten Seagates attention yet!!! Isn't the web great....?

:thumbup

Edited by mikesw

I have built an EEPROM programmer.

The EEPROM memory is of 512K (4MBit).

I will do a backup of EEPROM memory of the PCB. Then I can do all test over PCB without any problem. Half of the firmware is here.

The problem can be a defective EEPROM, can you say your EEPROM number? (8 leads integrated circuit of the family 25XXX).

Edited by pichi

I have built an EEPROM programmer.

The EEPROM memory is of 512K (4MBit).

I will do a backup of EEPROM memory of the PCB. Then I can do all test over PCB without any problem. The mid of firmware is here.

The problem can be a defective EEPROM, can you say your EEPROM number? (8 leads integrated circuit of the family 25XXX).

Ehhhrr, what exactly do you want us to do?

The page you snapped from their site, does it mean that their going to get out a update/fix to all our failed drives or must the drive be unlocked from bsy mode until we can use it when its released.

If your drive has bricked you won't be able to use the firmware update. So data recovery will still be our problem.. And if it's reset, by using a recovery kit or other means, I guess you can update it.

As long your drive can be recognized by BIOS, you're safe.

After that, you're just doomed and needs RMA.

Gradius

Hello,

i'm new here...brought to you via Google-Search...

Well after many years of using only Seagate Drives, and only one failure...(and that drive went down after being 8 years in constant use...)

my ST3500320AS, bought August 2008, went down 10 Jan 09...with the wellknown symptoms...PC works fine, I reboot, the drive is no longer recognised by the BIOS...

I made a funny discovery though...I have a second ST3500320AS, which has the SD25 firmware...so I switched the PCBs, and the dead drive was recognised in the BIOS as ST3500320AS with SD25 firmware, i was happy, thought myself very lucky...but Windows,and any other OS btw, said "NO!!!"...

and told me the drive has 0GB capacity...

Now I am constantly observing the NET for solutions, because I wont give up my data on this Drive...

Here are the specs for your list:

9QM5HVYL:ST3500320AS:9BX154-303:SD15:09077:KRATSG:Aug08:10Jan09:D3m3nt0r:Germany

It wont works because every PCB has an unique mapping to the specific HD, so the pcb is "married" with HD.

Gradius