Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

May I remind all about Rule #1a? :unsure::

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=18408

I can see some posts heading in a direction dangerously nearing the border-line....:whistle:

jaclaz

Quite rightly so. I would imagine Salvation Data spent a lot of time and money finding a solution to Seagate's problem. If you're going to steal anyone's IP it should be Seagate's :P Anways, I went the Salavation Data route so I may be biased but what they charge compared to a Pro DR center is quite reasonable. Just keep in mind that what SD sells you is not exactly consumer friendly. A lot of fussing and mucking around still has to be done with their solution.

Looks like for the past month, poolcarpet is the main poster on thye msfn forums...

http://boardreader.com/sp/MSFN_Forums_14173.html

Indeed!

BTW Tom's hardware has joined the club:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/seagate-7...iling,6844.html

And check out the third reply:

**gopherboy6956 01/15/2009 8:31 AM

I do have the Firmware update to fix this issue. If anyone wants it, just email me at matt@bytespeed.com**

Hopefully this isn't another misguided sole talking about the SD1A firmware, or simply spam.

I just read on a German website (http://www.computerbase.de/news/hardware/laufwerke/massenspeicher/2009/januar/barracuda_720011/), that Seagate is going to make a statement in the course of tomorrow. Currently it's not clear, if this statement will be good or bad for us 7200.11-victims :unsure:

By the way, am I the only one having troubles with a ST3320613AS (320 GB, one platter, SD11, Site-Code: TK)? Two days before Christmas Eve my PC stopped while booting. I made a reset and the RAID-Bios didn't find one of the two harddisk (it's a RAID0) anymore... So I put that thing in IDE- instead of RAID-mode and looked what the BIOS recognized: It recognized the name of the hardisk, but didn't recognize it's size and parameters.

The worst thing is that I had bought an external harddisk for backups (a Seagte ST31500341AS :wacko: ) - sadly the parcel service brought it 10 minutes before I lost my data (last and just partial backup: july 2008). What a sad fate!

I just read on a German website (http://www.computerbase.de/news/hardware/laufwerke/massenspeicher/2009/januar/barracuda_720011/), that Seagate is going to make a statement in the course of tomorrow. Currently it's not clear, if this statement will be good or bad for us 7200.11-victims :unsure:

By the way, am I the only one having troubles with a ST3320613AS (320 GB, one platter, SD11, Site-Code: TK)? Two days before Christmas Eve my PC stopped while booting. I made a reset and the RAID-Bios didn't find one of the two harddisk (it's a RAID0) anymore... So I put that thing in IDE- instead of RAID-mode and looked what the BIOS recognized: It recognized the name of the hardisk, but didn't recognize it's size and parameters.

Exciting news! BTW that's actually quite a high quality article (in German) :)

and check:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRevie...N82E16822148316

There are enough problems with 320GB models over there. Our dataset is only a small sample of all 7200.11 drives out there and you just happen to be the first reporting problems with the 320GB model.

Edited by DerSnoezie

... and you just happen to be the first reporting problems with the 320GB model.
What a doubtful glory ;)

Thanks for the link, it's very interesting.

Well, the whole 7200.11-story seems to become quite popular in Germany at the moment, most of the online magazines have published articles, hopefully Seagate reacts.

Edited by kadolf

Anyone still trying to recover that password, I've just run the ARCHPR 4.5 english.dic with smart mutations with no luck. It's also not a number between 0 and 2000000.

I get the feeling its Chinese, which is even more impossible to guess. Even if you had it, you'd have trouble getting winrar to recognize it.

Seagate will supposedly release an update in "a couple of days"....

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...

All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.

An agent will be with you in a moment. Thank you for your patience.

The next available Agent will be with you in a moment.

Hello. How may I help you?

Me: Hi, A few months ago I purchased 12 1TB drives for use in a RAID and in some custom built computers (7200.11, 1000 Gbytes). We haven't yet installed the drives but are about to do so. However, we are now finding that online there have been a large number of complaints about the drive failing after a few months (see: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/seagate-7...ling,6844.html). I am hesitant to use the drive in our RAID until this problem i

Me: is resolved. Has seagate released a firmware update for these drives? (a SN from one of these drives is: 5QJ0XTYS, we are currently using firmware version: SD15)

Ike A.: re u calling from the us

Me: yes

Ike A.: the SD15 is the latest firmware for this model of drives

Ike A.: if you just bought these drives, then u shuld not experience firmware related issues anymore

Me: I have not had any issues yet because I haven't been using the drive, I'm just hesitant because of all the complaints I've seen online. Is seagate working on a firmware update, given the high number of complaints with regard to this drive?

Ike A.: those complaints were pre the sd15 firmware release

Ike A.: that issue has been all of resolved

Me: what about this thread?: http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/messag...ding&page=7

Me: actually, see page 1 at: http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/messag...ding&page=1

Ike A.: ... this user bought this drive 4 mnths ago....if u just bought ur drive...u shuld nt experience this issue

Me: I bought the drives a few months ago, but just haven't installed them yet, it is the exact same drive though as these users

Me: st31000340as 1TB barracuda

Me: sd15

Me: The problem is BIOS no detect after a few months of usage (typically 3 months)

Me: This problem applies to, ST31000340as, SD15, Thailand, Seagate 1TB drive

Me: (which I have)

Ike A.: we actually have the drives having this issue narrowed down...your drive again shuld not, bcos it was just bought...

Me: see the post by zenbird (5th down) at http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/messag...ding&page=1

Me: for details of the problem

Ike A.: again.. . a very small number of drives still displayed some issues even after the sd15 firmware... for those drive we are looking at on an individual basis and will be coming up with a fix prety soon

Me: they were bought at the end of october

Me: When could I expect an update? I would like to feel confidant in the drives before trusting them

Ike A.: again... u're drives are not affected...but there shuld be an update for in a couple of days

Me: A couple of days, thats good. If our drives were bought at the end of October, how do you know our drives are not affected?

Ike A.: because we had already released this update by them

Ike A.: then

Ike A.: so all shipping drives were preinstalled with the updates

Me: I'm not referring to the sd14 errors that were reported, I'm referring to the sd15 errors,

Me: was there an update to the sd15 that went by the same name (sd15)

Ike A.: i have info from senior engineers that we actually kno the individual drives that are having post sd15 issues

Ike A.: if your drive is one of them, which again you dont know... we will have an update in a couple of days

Me: okay, will that update be made public? Where will I go to check for the update?

Ike A.: you can call in or contact us via chat

Me: okay, so when I chat in a few days, am I just asking if the sd16 firmware for the sd15 7200.11 1000 Gbytes drive is available yet?

Ike A.: we dont know what the name is yet

Ike A.: wait

Me: okay

Me: I assume your checking on something for me right?

Ike A.: yes.. there is correspondence on it... but your best bet is to check back with us in a couple of days

Me: okay, I'll do that. Thank you for your help.

Ike A.: do u have anymore questions?

Me: not at this time, thanks for your assistance

Ike A.: thank you for choosing Seagate

WALL OF TEXT

You're kidding. The cs rep literally kept pounding in for that "you're not gunna be affected" horses***. Makes me angry at seagate. All those years of quality drives with them over my previous WD drives and the cs and support seems to be thrown out the window. Funsies. At least you kept your cool. I would've been cussing at him shortly after he said "you aren't affected"

Edited by doogledongle

WALL OF TEXT

You're kidding. The cs rep literally kept pounding in for that "you're not gunna be affected" horses***. Makes me angry at seagate. All those years of quality drives with them over my previous WD drives and the cs and support seems to be thrown out the window. Funsies. At least you kept your cool. I would've been cussing at him shortly after he said "you aren't affected"

That's pretty hilarious, but on the other side it's also really saddening..

Me: A couple of days, thats good. If our drives were bought at the end of October, how do you know our drives are not affected?

Ike A.: because we had already released this update by them

Well, just check the dataset in the other thread and you'll know that's not true and there's also such a thing like stock.. That seagate sucker could have better asked for your DateCode or serial number.

Edited by DerSnoezie

I have a 7200.11 that I purchased in October. I have had it running for many hours daily since mid October. It is still working but is it going to be affected by this problem? These are the details of my drive:

Barracuda 7200.11

ST3640323AS

S/N: 5VK05SJF

P/N: 9FZ134-568

Firmware: SD35

Data Code: 09077: August 22, 2008

Purchased from Newegg in California

Find my conversation below. They are admitting the problem now. But it looks like they are not going to do anything about the dead drives.

This Jared guy was the slowest typist in the world. He was quick in closing the session on me though, I wasn't done.

Seagate needs to be taught a lesson, they are quite combative with their customers...

Here is the log:

Hello. How may I help you?

Nichev: hi

Jared J.: hello how my I help you

Nichev: I have one of the affected 7200.11 drives

Nichev: sd15 firmware

Nichev: http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...931&Hilite=

Nichev: says to contact you

Jared J.: SN of the drive

Nichev: 9qj0xj01

Nichev: You still there?

Jared J.: yes i am still here just forwarding the info to take care of the issue

Nichev: So, my drive is dead... What's next?

Jared J.: if you drive has failed just replace the drive under warranty

Nichev: Seagate isn't going to fix it?

Nichev: I mean, even ford fixed the Pinto

Jared J.: we have 2 options does the drive still function?

Nichev: no

Jared J.: ok then we have one option replace the drive under warranty

Nichev: is there a new firmware for functioning drives?

Jared J.: not at this time

Nichev: What was the other option?

Jared J.: nothing because the drive doesn't work

Nichev: If it did work?

Jared J.: well it doesn't so the only option is to replace the drive

Nichev: Ok, lets say I am mistaken, and my drive works, or I resurrect it...

Jared J.: sorry but you said the drive is not working the only option is to replace the drive

Nichev: I do have the option of paying a third party to unlock the BSY signal

Nichev: Then what?

Nichev: I would have a working drive at that point, what would my options be?

Jared J.: what do you mean by BSY signal?

Nichev: The drive reports BSY to the BIOS, that's why they are failing...

Nichev: BSY means that the drive is currently busy, and inaccessible to the SATA controller...

Nichev: Anyways, I just want to know what the other option would be..

Jared J.: ok heres the deal we have an update that is going to be coming out in a few days to resolve the issue. But your drive is past the point of the update fixing it so as I said before you will need to replace the drive

Nichev: Thanks Jared.

Thank you for using Seagate products. You may now close this window.

Your session has ended. You may now close this window.