Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

Hey guys,

I was searching the internet and found maybe some good things.

I found a china-company that have a software for com-terminals that can fix lba=0 and bsy fix but the file you can download was encrypted with a password so if anybody is good in that kind a stuff you can find the file attached in this message.

Pictures of the tool:

b11.jpg

fixing.jpg

the site is http://www.bvg-group.cn/

and the file can be downloaded [Here]

Edited by frallanfree

I don't think any of us can give you the update, even if we have purchased it. That could be violation of copyright. The restore shop should just download the update themselves. See my earlier reply to you on this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry825909

I ask again!

Someone with access to SalvationDATA Foruns get the update for me please? I don't have access but I need to send the upgrade to a restore shop so they can fix my drive. Someone? Please? :(

I have found a direct link do Salvation DATA! \o/

If someone want send-me a PM.

Has anyone noticed that the lower capacity 7200.11s does not seem to be affected by this problem? Or at least not listed in our listing in the other thread.

ST3500320AS = 7200.11 500GB

ST31000340AS = 7200.11 1TB

ST3750630AS = 7200.11 750GB

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/...racuda_7200.11/

No 320GBs were reported yet, and no 1.5TBs reported yet either...... hmmm

Hey guys,

I found a china-company that have a software for com-terminals that can fix lba=0 and bsy fix but the file you can download was encrypted with a password so if anybody is good in that kind a stuff you can find the file attached in this message.

Pictures of the tool:

b11.jpg

fixing.jpg

Really cool, anyway... translation: http://translate.google.com/translate?prev...history_state0=

How the heck did you find this!! :) Anyway it looks like you need to purchase it and 1500 Renminbi is about USD211 or slightly less than half price of the HD Doctor. Maybe another option... but you need to have the com terminals. The HD Doctor comes with the hardware necessary to connect, so no need to get com terminals separately.

Good find! It's amazing what we can find/achieve via the Internet!

Hey guys,

Pictures of the tool:

b11.jpg

fixing.jpg

Really cool, anyway... translation: http://translate.google.com/translate?prev...history_state0=

I'm betting the password is Chinese, but I'll try an english attack with smart mutations anyway. And a 6 digit numerical while I'm at it. Silly single threaded software :rolleyes:

One reason why manufacturers or companies flat out refuse to admit liability for anything is due to insurance clauses. Admitting liability will affect future insurance premiums (costs).

Those who're looking to buy a serial connection can try a compatible Nokia DKU5 cable? USB on one end, serial connection on the other. Used it on a router board before.

Edited by Techno

Has anyone noticed that the lower capacity 7200.11s does not seem to be affected by this problem? Or at least not listed in our listing in the other thread.

ST3500320AS = 7200.11 500GB

ST31000340AS = 7200.11 1TB

ST3750630AS = 7200.11 750GB

I have a 750gb brick itself in November (SD15 Thailand)

Same problem here - bought two of the 1TB versions a couple of months ago (ST31000340AS), and one has already failed. I e-mailed Seagate for the firmware update so I can salvage the other drive... we'll see how long that takes. Ridiculous that they don't just make it available for download.

I ran across a supposed copy of the firmware update on just one web page, and wondered if anyone knew anything about it. The file name is NEWEGG8h_SD1Acopy.zip and it creates three files:

8h_SD1A.lod dated 11/18/08

8HSD1A.BAT dated 11/18/08

SF.EXE dated 08/05/08

Thanks for all the good info. here!

One reason why manufacturers or companies flat out refuse to admit liability for anything is due to insurance clauses. Admitting liability will affect future insurance premiums (costs).

Those who're looking to buy a serial connection can try a compatible Nokia DKU5 cable? USB on one end, serial connection on the other. Used it on a router board before.

DKU5 must works well.

You can put serial resistances of 1K in each line (for hdd protection).

look at the traslated chinese page, there are interesting things!

They say that the terminal connection is only needed to unlock BSY state, while for the 0gb LBA problem can be fixed using only the sata connection. It says to connect the drive thought a IDE->SATA adaptor, maybe for bypass some locks, there are also two parameters (170,376) wich I can't understand.

But this let me think that the 0GB LBA issue can be solved by sending ATA commands to the drive. In the 7200.11 spec docs from Seagate website there's a list of supported ATA commands (see section 4.3):

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support.../100507013c.pdf

So as of right now, just deal with the drive I have as is?

I've not heard any of the audible problems many of you have stated, yet I've had the drive for about 5 weeks so far.

So currently are there no fixes for the issues besides having to go the hardware route other members have mentioned? Is Seagate doing anything besides keeping quiet about the issue as of right now? I'd really hate waking up one morning a few weeks down the road finding that that my drive shat on itself and rendered my 564 gbs of stuff unreachable.

For now it's best to keep the number of boots limited.

"Audible problems"? Are you referring to click of death? (sorry if this is a stupid question, but english is not my native language)

At the moment no firmware fix is available for the people who already own a 7200.11 SD15 drive, but rumours are that seagate has been implementing a new firmware version in recently assembled drives. However nothing has been confirmed yet. So unfortunately we'll just have to sit it out..

We understand your worries and hope your drive will be spared.

Yes, the clicks are what I'm referring to. Honestly, I keep my computer on for irresponsible lengths of time anyway. I'm one of those anime peoples who downloads it 24/7.

Dskbrk,

Correct, because what we know so far is :

1. To resolve BSY, you need to disconnect PCB from HDA and issue some commands via the terminal connection. What's why the website say follow the instructions given. You need to unscrew the PCB, and reattach it at one point for this fix.

2. For the 0 LBA, all three Salvation Data, Ace Labs and now this one can be fixed with just one mouse click (with the Ace Labs, one click will resolve both issues!!) so it's most certainly some sequence of commands sent to the hard disk. If you look at the Ace Labs PC3000 video, based on the outputs we can probably guess some of the steps (I remember seeing smart erase, and g-list) but the problem now is finding out which commands to send without permanently wiping out all data on the hard disk.

I believe that fatlip and pichi are the ones making most progress for #2.

look at the traslated chinese page, there are interesting things!

They say that the terminal connection is only needed to unlock BSY state, while for the 0gb LBA problem can be fixed using only the sata connection. It says to connect the drive thought a IDE->SATA adaptor, maybe for bypass some locks, there are also two parameters (170,376) wich I can't understand.

But this let me think that the 0GB LBA issue can be solved by sending ATA commands to the drive. In the 7200.11 spec docs from Seagate website there's a list of supported ATA commands (see section 4.3):

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support.../100507013c.pdf

Hey guys,

I have started a brute force attack to the rar file with a password recovery utility to try to find the password...

I have started a brute force attack to the rar file with a password recovery utility to try to find the password...

I'm running a 1-7 digit numerical brute force, and an English dictionary brute force with smart mutations in ARCHPR right now.

If it don't find anything with the standard wordlist, I'm gonna try some of the ones here:

http://www.theargon.com/achilles/wordlists/

keep us updated.