Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

Incredible, what a nice test setup you have going there :P We sure would like to hear about your results when you've finished tormenting them!

My personal bet is that the 500GB drive with the datecode 08345 will last the longest, since according to the date code calculator it was assembled on 27-02-08, making it the oldest of the 5 drives

Of course, if any of the hdds die I'll post here for sure! Ah, we'll see who the winner among the 3 contestants is.. I also think the oldest one will be the last to die, altho it's filled with errors (reallocated sectors and so on), **** Seagate crap.. :P

Edited by me0w

Have any of you here had any problems with the ST31000333AS 1TB drives?

I bought 3 from Newegg and then realized only afterwards, that these drives are all problematic. I went ahead and ordered two Western Digital Black 1TB drives.

I'm holding on to the ST31000333AS drives in case these are permanently fixed. I'm not holding my breath though since I've heard that these also have issues.

Hi all,

My 500 GB 7200.11 went under yesterday, on the same day I lost my job, and that hard disk has my resume on it. It was not a good day. Anyway, I didn't want to risk losing the OTHER 500 GB disk (yeah, shouldn't have bought 2 of it), so I turned it off in BIOS and booted up with SLAX. The funniest thing happened that is the kernel is able to pick up the undamaged HDD even though I disabled it in BIOS! I can even mount it!

Tried it with the broken HDD, detected a hard disk drive but faces a timeout (probably at retrieving device info).

Since the ATA commands are pretty well documented, I was wondering if it is possible to send an unlock ATA command to the drive so the arm will move again? This would remove the need for the R232 serial port connector and make life a whole lot easier. But i think the biggest problem would be t figure out what command to send (if we can send it).

I already tried to access my broken drive in SLAX. I found a program that allows sending raw SATA commands to the drive. Unfortunately SLAX wouldn't give me access to the drive or the channel.

Here is some info my post on page 12 that may help:

If anyone else is interested in mucking around the source code for the utility can be found at:

http://users.tkk.fi/jwagner/electr/ata-query.c

Here is a list of hex ATA commands:

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/..&.../100452348e.pdf

Look under section 4.3

Anyone know how to get hardware level access to the SATA channels in linux?

Is there anybody with Linux that can try this?

There is a tool: http://scsirastools.sourceforge.net/

# sgdefects - a tool to read the primary and grown defect lists

# sgdskfl - a tool to load disk firmware to SCSI disks under Linux; you can get current firmware images from your disk vendor.

Some SATA accept some SCSI commands.

-> read the primary and grown defect lists (to verify V lists)

--->>>> get current firmware images from your disk vendor

Edited by pichi

I bought the hardware referred to by fatlip and pichi earlier in the thread from Fry's but don't have a complete solution to unbrick the drive..... I finally was able to talk to SalvationData and will be ordering their solution for $500 tomorrow.... they're located in China, so I don't know how long it'll take to arrive.

I'm located in Raleigh, NC and am willing to unbrick drives in order to defray the cost of the SD purchase.... I have been in sales for a large system builder (an Intel Premier Provider) for 10+ years.

Will let you know when I get the SalvationData kit...

Hi,

"Seagate Community Forums" are like their HDD. In the morning I cant log in - moderators kicked me out. Probably I was too active. Will have to register under different name.

rimask

* Seagate Community Forums

* :

* Access Denied

[Error] [Error] Search Community: Seagate Community Forums User Search . Advanced

Sorry, you do not have sufficient privileges for that action.

Please click the Back button on your browser.

Statistics

rimask

Rim Ask

Contributor rimask

Total Logins: 120

Total Minutes Online: 1724

Total Messages Posted: 25

Total Messages Read: 2010

Private Messages

• Removed Post

So guys, if I'm with a 1TB and using SD15 firmware, should I go ahead and update the firmware to AD14?

This firmware update was issued by seagate to fix another issue in 7200.11 drives with the SD04 and SD14 firmware. I think there are significant chances that updating from a SD15 to AD14 firmware will render your drive inoperable.

rimask, welcome to the club! :)

Hi,

"Seagate Community Forums" are like their HDD. In the morning I cant log in - moderators kicked me out. Probably I was too active. Will have to register under different name.

rimask

* Seagate Community Forums

* :

* Access Denied

[Error] [Error] Search Community: Seagate Community Forums User Search . Advanced

Sorry, you do not have sufficient privileges for that action.

Please click the Back button on your browser.

Statistics

rimask

Rim Ask

Contributor rimask

Total Logins: 120

Total Minutes Online: 1724

Total Messages Posted: 25

Total Messages Read: 2010

Private Messages

• Removed Post

So guys, if I'm with a 1TB and using SD15 firmware, should I go ahead and update the firmware to AD14?

This firmware update was issued by seagate to fix another issue in 7200.11 drives with the SD04 and SD14 firmware. I think there are significant chances that updating from a SD15 to AD14 firmware will render your drive inoperable.

So as of right now, just deal with the drive I have as is?

I've not heard any of the audible problems many of you have stated, yet I've had the drive for about 5 weeks so far.

So currently are there no fixes for the issues besides having to go the hardware route other members have mentioned? Is Seagate doing anything besides keeping quiet about the issue as of right now? I'd really hate waking up one morning a few weeks down the road finding that that my drive shat on itself and rendered my 564 gbs of stuff unreachable.

I don't think any of us can give you the update, even if we have purchased it. That could be violation of copyright. The restore shop should just download the update themselves. See my earlier reply to you on this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry825909

I ask again!

Someone with access to SalvationDATA Foruns get the update for me please? I don't have access but I need to send the upgrade to a restore shop so they can fix my drive. Someone? Please? :(

So as of right now, just deal with the drive I have as is?

I've not heard any of the audible problems many of you have stated, yet I've had the drive for about 5 weeks so far.

So currently are there no fixes for the issues besides having to go the hardware route other members have mentioned? Is Seagate doing anything besides keeping quiet about the issue as of right now? I'd really hate waking up one morning a few weeks down the road finding that that my drive shat on itself and rendered my 564 gbs of stuff unreachable.

For now it's best to keep the number of boots limited.

"Audible problems"? Are you referring to click of death? (sorry if this is a stupid question, but english is not my native language)

At the moment no firmware fix is available for the people who already own a 7200.11 SD15 drive, but rumours are that seagate has been implementing a new firmware version in recently assembled drives. However nothing has been confirmed yet. So unfortunately we'll just have to sit it out..

We understand your worries and hope your drive will be spared.

Edited by DerSnoezie