Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

I don't know if it is the correct one or if it has any use for the problem here discussed, moderators can remove if it breaks forum rules.

Can anyone give a confirmation on the validity of these commands? Pichi perhaps?

Seems to be just a list of diagnostic commands for Seagate drives, like the ones located here: http://files.hddguru.com/download/Datashee...0RS-232%20Port/ (already posted many posts ago, i think)

The problem is still to know exactly which of these commands will unlock the drives from 0gb LBA.

Check out the following post on the seagate forums!

***Turribeach

Visitor

Turribeach

Message 17 of 18

Viewed 9 times

OK BradC, let's stay in topic. What does Seagate has to stay about this drive (the other hundreds) that are not recognized by our BIOS? What should we do as users to solve the problem? What firmware should be apply or where do we get our money back for a clearly faulty product? When are you guys going to start addressing these issues honestly, responsibly and seriously?

Anyone with enough time to setup a website so that we can avoid "breaking" the Forum rules and discuss these issues between all the affected customers?

Anyone with contacts in mainstream media so that we can get them to do an article on this?***

It seems that seagate moderators are doing a good job in preventing people to find their way over here..

So I send that guy a PM giving him google search instructions, since the link to this forum is also blocked in PM!!!

Edit: and I typed "****" in the PM which was automatically changed to "darn" :P

Edit: okay, I get the point now XD

It's a shame I haven't got time to PM them all..

Edited by DerSnoezie

Countries currently reported to have been affected by the seagate 7200.11 "plague" marked in red (including a few countries of forum members which did report the problem, but haven't contributed their data to the fail & fine dataset):

720011plaguemap10fu4.png

Edited by DerSnoezie

After my HDD failed to respond to any commands via the serial port I decided to RMA it; my supplier said that I should get a 7200.12 as they've been told to send all the 7200.11 back to Seagate :unsure:

I also just found this on the Inquirer Click Here

Edited by Ruddrage

That's great news! I hope more articles will follow soon. BTW I could't resist leaving a link to our little thread :P

I also just found this on the Inquirer Click Here

Heh, I was about post asking about the link, refreshed the page instead and you had already fixed it. LOL Very interesting article. Now if only it were worthy of 20/20 picking up on it and blasting Seagate publically WORLDWIDE.

Oops, I posted a reply to the wrong message I think. I'll repost in here:

Excellent idea moving the forums off of Seagate and I was so happy to see the Inquirer article. Anyways would like to report that I had the exact same issue with my ST31000AS with SD15 from Thailand. Would not detect on boot. Using a repair kit I purchased online (not cheap!) I was able to connect to the drive through a special serial connection that I did not recognize in my 15+ years of PC experience. With the included software I was able to clear the BSY (busy) lock on the HDD and also the 0GB detect issue. Full functionality was restored and the data intact. The kit was expensive so if the data is not valuable then I recommend RMAing it in.

I've been hit with many requests from ppl online to unbrick their drives so if you want to mail it to me that's an option I'm providing. I'm located in Toronto, Canada. I'm in no way a professional recoverer nor am I looking to profiteer heavily from this. I lost 800GB from this Seagate defect and was pretty p***ed realmad.gif I'd imagine I'm not alone.

Rule#1 - Always back up!

Rule#2 - Always back up! (This is a backup to Rule#1)

Thanks! Unfortunately seagate moderators do a darn good job preventing people from finding this thread. They blocked out all possibilties on their forum to link to this thread and alter or even delete our posts! We do have some small scale promotion going on at several forums, but for as yet we haven't got the resources to reach the bulk of neglected seagate customers.

Oops, I posted a reply to the wrong message I think. I'll repost in here:

Excellent idea moving the forums off of Seagate and I was so happy to see the Inquirer article. Anyways would like to report that I had the exact same issue with my ST31000AS with SD15 from Thailand. Would not detect on boot. Using a repair kit I purchased online (not cheap!) I was able to connect to the drive through a special serial connection that I did not recognize in my 15+ years of PC experience. With the included software I was able to clear the BSY (busy) lock on the HDD and also the 0GB detect issue. Full functionality was restored and the data intact. The kit was expensive so if the data is not valuable then I recommend RMAing it in.

I've been hit with many requests from ppl online to unbrick their drives so if you want to mail it to me that's an option I'm providing. I'm located in Toronto, Canada. I'm in no way a professional recoverer nor am I looking to profiteer heavily from this. I lost 800GB from this Seagate defect and was pretty p***ed realmad.gif I'd imagine I'm not alone.

Rule#1 - Always back up!

Rule#2 - Always back up! (This is a backup to Rule#1)

Countries currently reported to have been affected by the seagate 7200.11 "plague" marked in red (including a few countries of forum members which did report the problem, but haven't contributed their data to the fail & fine dataset):

720011plaguemap2lw8.png

Please add Turkey to this map. I know about 20 failures mostly 500gb and 1000gb products. I have 3 of them and they are always making clicking noise. That means they will fail too.

Please add Turkey to this map. I know about 20 failures mostly 500gb and 1000gb products. I have 3 of them and they are always making clicking noise. That means they will fail too.

Thanks for your input :) I will add Turkey to the map later this evening!

Edit: Reports of failing 7200.11 drives in Turkey have been marked on the 7200.11 "plague" map.

Edited by DerSnoezie

Thanks! Unfortunately seagate moderators do a darn good job preventing people from finding this thread. They blocked out all possibilties on their forum to link to this thread and alter or even delete our posts! We do have some small scale promotion going on at several forums, but for as yet we haven't got the resources to reach the bulk of neglected seagate customers.

I've seen the "moderating" that Seagate does on their forums. But I do see their side of it. They need to keep this under wraps. If they release a fix for it, then they are admitting to a problem to begin with. And if they admit to a problem they are liable for damages. They've probably worked out the cost of just replacing defective drives with more defectives ones and it came out to being much cheaper than admitting to the issue and settling a class action lawsuit. It's sad but I EXPECT this corporate behavior. Their hands are tied and they are making the decision that will balance the books best. They've probably fixed the issue in 7200.12 already and they had to shorten the warranties on those too because the cost of replacements on the 7200.11 is eating into their warranty budget. Again, this is speculation. But it's good see articles popping up on it. Seagate shouldn't get away with this unscathed.

Visualisation of the seagate 7200.11 fail & fine dataset at present:

Look at the tightly clustered occurence of the failures.. What could be causing this?

I thnk we would have a really solid case there if they all occurred on the exact same day at the exact same time coinciding with Zune failure because of the whole leap second thing. LOL