Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

I'm no HDD expert, but I think this tool is for those who have set HPA (Host Protected Area) to some large value, and then want to recover those lost space.

Unfortunately in our case, the factory size is reported as 0GB, so I don't think this tool will work... :(

But I'd really be happy if someone proves me wrong... :)

Hmm, sound promising, anyone willing to use their hdd as a guinea pig?
Anyone try this tool once the drive has been cleared of BSY and in a 0 LBA state?

http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/200...y-Restore-Tool/

Even if this does work (long shot), I'm not sure what this might do to any data on the drive.

User beware.

Anyone try this tool once the drive has been cleared of BSY and in a 0 LBA state?

Even if this does work (long shot), I'm not sure what this might do to any data on the drive.

User beware.

I think that wont works.

HDD Capacity restore tools change current HPA to factory NPHA, as setmax, hdat2, taft or victoria too.

The problem is the translator that convert 28 bits CHS to 48 bits LBA.

This translator is in the Host Protected Area (HPA). In this case (ST3500320AS on x86 computers) this area is at end of the hdd (last 2113 sectors).

There are 1081856 hiddens bytes.

HPA detected: current 976771055, native 976773168

Modify HPA is a littel dangerous (HPA can pass from 48 bits to 28 bits and after that HPA of 28 bits cannot pass to 48 bits).

DiscWizard is the only tool of the manufacturer that works correctly with the translator (inside of HPA).

i wouldn't try this if you still want the data on the hard disk. plus another point to consider, if you run this and brick it, you might not be able to RMA the drive.... so it's double whammy.

be very very careful!!!

I'm no HDD expert, but I think this tool is for those who have set HPA (Host Protected Area) to some large value, and then want to recover those lost space.

Unfortunately in our case, the factory size is reported as 0GB, so I don't think this tool will work... :(

But I'd really be happy if someone proves me wrong... :)

Hmm, sound promising, anyone willing to use their hdd as a guinea pig?

User beware.

Oh hai.

I'm one more with this BSY bug (I think!)

2009 is a bad year for me, lost ALL my data in this ST31000340AS drive. Exactly in January 1st.

Anyway, I have done some job in my disk. I've removed the BSY stat and flashed the firmware to AD15. But the this isn't recognized yet. So I must clear SMART, G-List, etc etc.

The interesting part is that I have updated the firmware through an identical ST31000340AS drive. Changed logical boards and fireup the Firmware update O.O

Worked and won't destroy any data in the good hard disk.

PS: Sorry bad english, I'm exausted and english is not my native language, I'm brazilian so I speak portuguese.

The interesting part is that I have updated the firmware through an identical ST31000340AS drive. Changed logical boards and fireup the Firmware update O.O

PS: Sorry bad english, I'm exausted and english is not my native language, I'm brazilian so I speak portuguese.

So were you able to recover the data off the failed drive?

I've tried a PCB swap to no avail, but the boards were noticeably different anyway.

So were you able to recover the data off the failed drive?

I've tried a PCB swap to no avail, but the boards were noticeably different anyway.

Unfortunatelly not. Because the 7200.11 don't start with logical board change :(

The drive tries to initialize but the motor stops after some head tickling noise.

Conclusion: My 2 logical boards are fine, and the 2 disks are fine too. So it's the freakin BSY bug :(

I wonder if this affects China version of these models?

I have two China ones, a 1TB and a 500GB. I hope they won't experience the same problem as the Thailand one.

Any of you guys out there, having this problem and is NOT made in Thailand?

I wonder if this affects China version of these models?

I have two China ones, a 1TB and a 500GB. I hope they won't experience the same problem as the Thailand one.

Any of you guys out there, having this problem and is NOT made in Thailand?

Thailand here. But this is a firmware problem, so it's replicable to all disks. If was a hardware failure, OK. But it's not. (IMO)

Does your computer hdd led stay constantly on all the time when this hdd is plugged in?

I've got a ST31000340AS from China that's not being recognized.

Bought it on August 22nd, failed on Dec 23rd. Christmas eve, the day before I got an external drive from Santa.

Mine happen between Nov and Dec.

I realize this as well, so i though its a timebomb issue. I tried changing the BIOS clock to a few months back and connect the hdd again but still cannot detect.

I guess what is bombed is bombed. Wish I could time travel back and backup my data.

Strange... I'm hearing a lot of people having drives fail around Christmas time... so did mine... Dec 23rd... strange... and mine was bought in January...