Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

Well, they say they can fix:

http://www.salvationdata.com/data-recovery...ws0811.htm#1125

and if you download HD Doctor for Seagate and install, and look at the PDF manuals - there are steps given.

So I'm quite sure they can fix it. Question is on diagnosis, are we 100% sure our hard disks are all having this BSY + 0 LBA problem and not a real hardware fault??

It is known that hard disks tend to have higher failure rates in the early and later stages of the hard disk's life...

poolcarpet:

How good is that chance that HD Doctor will be able to solve this problem? If it's surely working, then please count me in. THanks!

killerB,

Salvation Data HD Doctor for Seagate 3.0 is supposed to be able to fix this BSY and 0 LBA problem. It costs USD500. Right now, another option is to look for people in the same region/country/city and lower the cost of the USD500. With enough people, it will be relatively cheaper instead of sending to data recovery companies who will charge and arm and a leg.

Then it is good bye Seagate.

Well, I know for sure I have the BSY + 0 LBA problem.... what I don't know is if that problem was the result of a real hardware problem... from reading the forums, I tend to think it's not HW related... at least, my symptoms fit perfectly with the rest...

To be sure, you guys should get the RS232 port up and at minimum see what gets sent out by the drive.

You should get a LED 000000CC Faddr:0xXXXXXX or something like that right after power on and the HDD spins up, if you have the BSY problem.

Then at least try to follow the steps at least up to clearing BSY bit.

At least on my HDD, without clearing the BSY bit, I can't get to the serial terminal when I press CTRL-Z, so I can't do anything at all with the serial term.

I bought the MAX232 chip for about RM10, and the rest of the stuff (caps, cables, connectors, etc) I had lying around. I can tell you where to get them in KL/PJ if you have trouble finding it.

and if you download HD Doctor for Seagate and install, and look at the PDF manuals - there are steps given.

So I'm quite sure they can fix it. Question is on diagnosis, are we 100% sure our hard disks are all having this BSY + 0 LBA problem and not a real hardware fault??

It is known that hard disks tend to have higher failure rates in the early and later stages of the hard disk's life...

poolcarpet:

How good is that chance that HD Doctor will be able to solve this problem? If it's surely working, then please count me in. THanks!

killerB,

Salvation Data HD Doctor for Seagate 3.0 is supposed to be able to fix this BSY and 0 LBA problem. It costs USD500. Right now, another option is to look for people in the same region/country/city and lower the cost of the USD500. With enough people, it will be relatively cheaper instead of sending to data recovery companies who will charge and arm and a leg.

I am not sure if my barracuda 7200.11 is having the BSY problem. How can i determine that? I just bought it about 2 months ago, and it was working all right then suddenly got undetected by BIOS the one day morning when I powered ON my PC. Quattro150, need your help where i can get the RS232 stuffs around KL and PJ. THanks.

Well, I know for sure I have the BSY + 0 LBA problem.... what I don't know is if that problem was the result of a real hardware problem... from reading the forums, I tend to think it's not HW related... at least, my symptoms fit perfectly with the rest...

To be sure, you guys should get the RS232 port up and at minimum see what gets sent out by the drive.

You should get a LED 000000CC Faddr:0xXXXXXX or something like that right after power on and the HDD spins up, if you have the BSY problem.

Then at least try to follow the steps at least up to clearing BSY bit.

At least on my HDD, without clearing the BSY bit, I can't get to the serial terminal when I press CTRL-Z, so I can't do anything at all with the serial term.

I bought the MAX232 chip for about RM10, and the rest of the stuff (caps, cables, connectors, etc) I had lying around. I can tell you where to get them in KL/PJ if you have trouble finding it.

poolcarpet:

killerB,

I am not sure if my barracuda 7200.11 is having the BSY problem. How can i determine that? I just bought it about 2 months ago, and it was working all right then suddenly got undetected by BIOS the one day morning when I powered ON my PC. Quattro150, need your help where i can get the RS232 stuffs around KL and PJ. THanks.

Hoggiee, download Victoria for Windows. There is a link on this thread from Pichi. When you select the drive, the drive light will stay BUSY at the bottom. That is an easy way to tell.

Well I finally received a (misinformed) reply from Seagate. For some reason they think I already have the most recent SN05 firmware. I emailed them back to let them know this is not correct. According to the label AND SeaTools for DOS (I can't run the Win version thanks to Seagate's shortsightedness on compiling a 64bit version). Now I'll have to wait again to see if they'll send me the SN05 firmware.

Something that came to mind, how many people with the BSY problem are running a RAID array and how many are using the drive as stand-alone storage / single main drive? I ask because most of the posts I've seen indicate the problems are cropping up with RAID'ed drives and that was the first thing Seagate said to do, disable RAID. Interesting...

Well I finally received a (misinformed) reply from Seagate. For some reason they think I already have the most recent SN05 firmware. I emailed them back to let them know this is not correct. According to the label AND SeaTools for DOS (I can't run the Win version thanks to Seagate's shortsightedness on compiling a 64bit version). Now I'll have to wait again to see if they'll send me the SN05 firmware.

Something that came to mind, how many people with the BSY problem are running a RAID array and how many are using the drive as stand-alone storage / single main drive? I ask because most of the posts I've seen indicate the problems are cropping up with RAID'ed drives and that was the first thing Seagate said to do, disable RAID. Interesting...

In my case, it's a standalone drive.

I use my own 3.3V RS232 adapter with MAX3232 (and 2 in series resistances of 1K for protection).

Other people uses 5V power supply with general purpose MAX232, ADM202, etc.

SOME RS232 ADAPTERS ON EBAY (there are a lot of RS232 converters):

1.- 3.3V or 5.0V compatible, with MAX3232

http://cgi.ebay.es/RS232-Serial-Port-To-TT...A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.es/RS232-232-Serial-Port-t...A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.es/RS232-Serial-Port-To-TT...A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.es/MAX3232-RS232-to-TTL-mo...A1%7C240%3A1318

2.- MAX232 and 5V:

http://cgi.ebay.es/MAX232-RS232-To-TTL-Con...A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.es/MAX232-RS232-Serial-to-...A1%7C240%3A1318

Good searching methods on ebay:

MAX3232

MAX232

And order by lower price first

I'm using it as standalone drive. I don't think it's got to do with RAID. RAID is external to the drive, the drive just communicates with the host which may be the SATA controller or a SATA RAID controller.

I read interesting post today. But I don't know if this help our problem...

(first of all, I'm sorry that my poor english. ^^)

(from RAID, SCIS, SSD distribution company)

http://www.andico.co.kr/bbs/view.php?id=ad...c=asc&no=21

2009/01/07 "Important : There is 2 7200.11 series."

there is 2 version of 7200.11 series.

1. old 7200.11

2. new 7200.11 (generation 2)

Old Seagate 7200.11 (firmware SD15) has problem with RAID Card(Especially Intel IOP348 chipset).

Seagate ES.2 also had same issue. So Seagate released new firmware "AN05".

Now, ES.2 don't have firmware problem anymore.

But Seagate don't develope new firmware to fix problem for 7200.11.

They say "If you wanna RAID, you should use ES.2".

Here's problem when use old Seagate 7200.11(SD15) :

- CRC Error (Command Abort)

- HDD Missing

Model:

500GB ST3500320AS

500GB ST3500620AS

640GB ST3640630AS

640GB ST3640330AS

750GB ST3750330AS

750GB ST3750630AS

1TB ST31000640AS

1TB ST31000340AS

But Newest 7200.11 "GEN2" don't have RAID problem.

This harddisk has New "ASIC" & "Firmware"

Model:

1.5TB ST31500341AS

1TB ST31000333AS

640GB ST3640323AS

640GB ST3640623AS

320GB ST3320613AS

320GB ST3320813AS

160GB ST3160813AS

1.5TB model still has freezing problem.

Solution is that update firmware to "SD1A" or "CC1H" firmware.

SD1A/CC1H firmware don't have freezing problem.

Edited by killerB

RAID is external to the drive, the drive just communicates with the host which may be the SATA controller or a SATA RAID controller.

That's partially correct. While RAID is external to the drive, it still has to do with how it communicates with the drive. I seem to remember that were some drives out there that because of their own firmware, they could not be RAID'ed. I'll look up the specific cases later, I'm at work right now and can't use too much internet time for it...