Adding stuff to user profiles

opopanax666

Hi guys,

After doing a re-install of my system, I usually put a shortcut to notepad.exe in my SendTo-folder, so to be able to easily open text files without launching them (e.g. *.bat).

Since Nlite exists, why not automate that, but I'm having trouble finding a efficient way of doing this...

I already found out that in the install timeline, the $OEM$ folders are created during the text part, and the actual user folders during the GUI part, so using the $OEM$ folders directly is a "no go"...

I'm pretty sure someone here has a solution ;)

Thanks for all the feedback!

The shortcut has to be copied to the SendTo-folder inside the User-folder. If you use the $OEM$ method a user folder is created (with the shortcut) during the text part. When creating the actual user folders during the GUI phase, the one created during the text phase is overlooked and a new one is created, with the extension ".WINDOWS". So you end up with a folder "username" with the shortcut, and with a folder "username.WINDOWS" with the regular contents, including the regular SendTo folder, but without the shortcut, and it is this folder windows uses (is this clear? For someone used to working with $OEM$ it should be...).

I just customized the installation using Nlite, that's it. I'm not using OOBE, SVCPACK or RunOnceEx.cmd, because I have no experience with any of them. Hence my question: do any of you (more experienced) guys now of a efficient way of doing this. Since you mention these three, I presume they can all be used to get where I want?

opopanax666, I suspect your problem is that the user account is not created yet. It does not get fully created until after the last reboot. I use WPI to accomplish lots of things including installing programs, changing Registry entries and I think it can be used to do what you want and is easy to used. Please see the WPI forum a couple below this one. Enjoy, John.