Dead monitor

PC_LOAD_LETTER

http://support.gateway.com/s/MONITOR/70055...005576Rnv.shtml

ive had a 24" gateway monitor since Dec '06

not so much as a single dead pixel until tonite until it just turned off and refuses to turn back on

assuming it was out of warranty, i chatted with gateway support about it and i gotta tel you im not impressed (my name and serial # replaced)

01 Jan 2009 11:46:00 PM Leanne_GWAE220 says: Welcome to Gateway Chat. My name and badge number are Leanne_GWAE220. I am looking at your account and the information you submitted. I will begin troubleshooting with you in just a moment.

01 Jan 2009 11:46:21 PM Leanne_GWAE220 says: Hi geek.

01 Jan 2009 11:46:45 PM geek says: hi. i need to know the purchase date and warranty information for this monitor

01 Jan 2009 11:46:46 PM Leanne_GWAE220 says: According to your submission and my data, the serial number for your Gateway system is xxxxxxxxx model FPD2485W and the 1 year limited warranty has already expired. Is this correct?

01 Jan 2009 11:47:11 PM geek says: i dont know the purchase date

01 Jan 2009 11:47:31 PM Leanne_GWAE220 says: xxxxxxxx Series FPD2485W24" Widescreen LCDDecember of 2006

01 Jan 2009 11:48:54 PM geek says: do you have the exact date?

01 Jan 2009 11:49:04 PM Leanne_GWAE220 says: No.

01 Jan 2009 11:49:57 PM geek says: ok i was just curious

01 Jan 2009 11:50:10 PM geek says: the monitor no longer powers on

01 Jan 2009 11:50:53 PM Leanne_GWAE220 says: You have to bring your monitor to a local repair shop.

01 Jan 2009 11:51:38 PM geek says: is there somewhere in OK that can service this model?

01 Jan 2009 11:54:44 PM Leanne_GWAE220 says: We no longer an authorized service center.

01 Jan 2009 11:55:08 PM Leanne_GWAE220 says: You can bring your system to any repair shop.

01 Jan 2009 11:55:20 PM geek says: and i cant send it in for repair?

01 Jan 2009 11:56:36 PM Leanne_GWAE220 says: You can send your monitor for repair.

01 Jan 2009 11:56:41 PM Leanne_GWAE220 says: Cost is $449.

01 Jan 2009 11:57:40 PM geek says: i think thats about what the thing is selling for right now (not that id buy another from GW)

02 Jan 2009 12:00:29 AM geek says: so my only option is to pay someone by the hour who may or may not be able to fix it or pay 449 to have GW fix it

02 Jan 2009 12:04:19 AM Leanne_GWAE220 says: Yes.

02 Jan 2009 12:05:17 AM geek says: is 449 a repair price or a replacement price? sounds awful high for a repair price

02 Jan 2009 12:06:00 AM Leanne_GWAE220 says: If I were you I will just purchase a new monitor that to send it in for service.

02 Jan 2009 12:07:36 AM geek says: GW does not repair their own product out of warranty?

02 Jan 2009 12:11:39 AM Leanne_GWAE220 says: We will repair your system but you need to pay for $449

02 Jan 2009 12:11:41 AM Leanne_GWAE220 says: .

the equivalent 24" monitor from gateway sells for 469$ so that repair price is ridiculous. note the time between her responses. during the time it took her to tell me nothing, i swapped the monitor out with another, made & ate a sandwich, shopped for another 24" at dell, delloutlet and newegg.

I still havent made a decision on which monitor to get to replace it but im leaning towards the dell 2408WFP because i can get it with a 5yr warranty for $575.75 (before discounts) but i may see if i can locate a local merchant that could work on it for me

Sorry to hear that :(

Personally, I've been extremely happy about my BenQ FP241W, but it's probably hard to find. I was getting either that, or the 2408WFP, but the Dell was like $200 extra or so (and then taxes on top of that extra $200). S-IPS is nice, but not $200-something nicer than P-MVA. It's got HDMI, DVI, VGA, component, s-video and composite inputs, flips on its side, 1920x1200 too, etc.

But if I had the money and wanted the very best, then I'd sure be buying a 2408WFP. Good warranty too seemingly.

Your old one is likely fixable though, and it might even be cheap to fix (although it would likely cost money to just have it looked at). It could be just the power supply or something easy & quick to fix (backlight even? or no power LED either?)

That's really unfortunate. Dell's are definitely the way to go if you can afford them. I'm quite happy with my Samsung 2443BW's though (I have three of them now). Three year standard warranty, and I managed to get them on sale for $300 CAD each too. :)

no its likely something in the power supply.

That's good news, sort of. They're easy to fix for the most part, and the board should be fairly inexpensive to replace too (but then again, the replacement board may fail too -- replacement boards don't address quality issues unfortunately).

Anyhow. Basic 24 inchers' prices are coming down a lot lately. I think I'll be getting a pair of them for the kids' boxes, it's only like $100 more than a smaller 22" that has a lower resolution. Totally worth it. Now if only WQXGA monitors would become more affordable :( The cheapest are still like $1000+

no its likely something in the power supply. no led. monitor has a startup chime too and its not sounding (which has been pretty lame until now that i want to hear it)

Hey, have you checked the plug to see if the fuse is blown?

If you guys in America have fuses in your appliances that is...

Lol, This is why I HATE gateway!! But I got a Dell 22inch ultra Sharp and I love it. I had no problems with it at all and Dell has great warranty!

I would go with the Dell, (hey it looks great too)

i googled Leanne_GWAE220 and found this forum.

read:

Leanne_GWAE220 joined the incident.

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

Welcome to Gateway Chat. My name and badge number are Leanne_GWAE220. I am looking at your account and the information you submitted. I will begin troubleshooting with you in just a moment.

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

Hi Sean.

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

According to your submission and my data, the serial number for your Gateway system is xxxxxxxxxx model FX4710-UB003A Desktop PC and which is still covered by the 1 year limited warranty. Your email address is xxxxxxx@gmail.com. Is this correct?

sean x says:

yea

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

Thank you for verifying your information.

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

I've read your issue description from the submission form. Do you have any more details that may help us?

sean x says:

it said full manufactuers warrantee when i bought it

sean x says:

but no

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

Please describe any changes you made around the time the issue started.

sean x says:

none to note

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

What troubleshooting steps have you already tried?

sean x says:

pressing escape

sean x says:

f10

sean x says:

f2

sean x says:

no response

sean x says:

detached all usb ports

sean x says:

no response

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

Okay I want you to follow the steps on this link to resolve the issue.

sean x says:

f8

sean x says:

ok

Leanne_GWAE220 sent a link to Startup Repair[http://support.gateway.com/s/software/MICROSOF/vista/7515418/7515418su202.shtml]

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

To save your chat log, please click on the "View Live Log" button at the bottom left side of the chat window. It will open a chat log window. Please use the option to "Save log to disk". Keep in mind you do not need a disk or cd. You can simply save the log to your system.

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

If the issue persist feel free to chat us back.

sean x says:

will i lose any data?

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

Do you have any further question

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

No.

sean x says:

is there a way i can talk to you again if i have any other problems?

sean x says:

like a direct chat id?

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

Look for me Leanne_GWAE220.

sean x says:

wait one more thing

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

Okay.

sean x says:

the tray does not eject

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

Have you tried to eject the dvd drive on My computer or Computer.

sean x says:

its frozen on the bootup

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

I see..

sean x says:

with the options for boot menu

sean x says:

bios settings

sean x says:

not responding

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

Did you press anything on your keyboard while it boots up?

sean x says:

nope

sean x says:

i tried f8

sean x says:

and there is no response

sean x says:

shall i try again?

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

Yes.

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

Yes please.

sean x says:

:)

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

If the issue persist please follow the steps on the link.

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

That will resolve the issue Sean.

sean x says:

a beep and straight to the same boot up

sean x says:

screen

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

Please follow the steps on the link,

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

And if the issue persist feel feel to chat us back.

sean x says:

1. place the Windows Vista Operating System DVD in the optical drive, then restart the computer.

sean x says:

i followed the first step

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

If your dvd drive won't open please provide an external dvd drive.

sean x says:

but the tray does not open

sean x says:

ok i have one here

sean x says:

one second

sean x says:

its not reading through the usb

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

Please do the steps after we end up on this chat session.

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

Just to remind you we do not support walk throughs.

sean x says:

hmmm

sean x says:

i see the steps

Leanne_GWAE220 says:

It was a pleasure working with you. My name and badge number are Leanne_GWAE220. Thank you for using Gateway Remote Assistance and have a great night. Good bye and take care Sean.

sean x says:

wait

thats awesome amoebic. looks like she either has a habit of being useless or maybe its gateway support in general.

as for your issue, our community might be able to help you if you could give us a full description of your issue in a topic in one of our forums.