Complete Guide to VLite v1.2 (PDF)

Randomness

Randomness I thought you first guide was good. This is brilliant. Nice work. Now any critics of your old guide can eat it. Very helpful for the newbs to the realm of vLite'ing too. Which seems to be more and more people all the time.

It would be nice to have the System names of services listed along with the Display names, similar to here: http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm The reason being that in non-English editions of Vista some of the services have localized Display names, and it is really difficult to figure out which is which unless you know exactly where to look.

In vLite, every service is called by its English name. I brought the link to Blackviper in the guide so that you could in fact compare services to what you got in your language version of Windows Vista. For the few who want / need that, of course. :)

Randomness I thought you first guide was good. This is brilliant. Nice work. Now any critics of your old guide can eat it. Very helpful for the newbs to the realm of vLite'ing too. Which seems to be more and more people all the time.

Thanks a bunch to you and everyone else who show their support for this. I honestly appreciate it a great deal. :lol: I planned to make a few minor updates, but first I need to know how to make clickable links in PDF. Anyone? :huh:

MDAC is the Microsoft Data Access Components. This is a set of routines that allows applications to communicate with Access or SQL databases. MDAC has bee updated fairly frequently over the years, so it is easy to end up with an out of date version on your system. Getting the most recent version of MDC can fix various types of obscure problems with any application that uses Access or SQL data base files.

Birk Binnard

http://www.birkbinnard.com

Excellent and thorough guide but I have ran into a few problems..

I followed the guide step by step (and rechecked everything) but after install of my vista business x86 I noticed a few small problems (hopefully no others).. removed the services as suggested and only safe stuff..

After install, I notieced there was no way to add the network icons in the taskbar (tried many options and suggestions) and also the network sharing center page when clicked on in Control Panel would come up blank.. tried a few suggestions there and still couldn't get it going..

DELl Vista OEM disk..

Any suggestions on what I did wrong for future reference as I have reverted back to the original OEM disk for a new installation...

Thanks for this guide. I was a little bit intimidated about screwing around with a custom Vista build with vLite and this alleviated some of my concern. Just got my new system components from newegg today and am building it now, and taking the leap from XP to Vista x64.

Just a suggestion, but instead of DriverMax for backing up your drivers I'd suggest the freeware Double Driver found here: http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm

Randomness,

you can update your guide that:

it's safe to remove Windows Photo Gallery and Windows Photo Viewer. as i delete them every time and i just install Windows Live Essentials "Windows Live Photo Gallery" which will automatically install Windows Photo Viewer too.. i've done that many times with different selections

so you get it as a fresh install not a program update

thank you for you great guide

Excellent and thorough guide but I have ran into a few problems..

I followed the guide step by step (and rechecked everything) but after install of my vista business x86 I noticed a few small problems (hopefully no others).. removed the services as suggested and only safe stuff..

After install, I notieced there was no way to add the network icons in the taskbar (tried many options and suggestions) and also the network sharing center page when clicked on in Control Panel would come up blank.. tried a few suggestions there and still couldn't get it going..

DELl Vista OEM disk..

Any suggestions on what I did wrong for future reference as I have reverted back to the original OEM disk for a new installation...

Copy your last_session.ini file from your installation disk and attach it here and we can take a look. Which network icons are you talking about? I've used this guide and can always find the standard network icon in the system tray portion of the task bar, and it's the only one I want to see. Are these the same network icons you are talking about?

• 2 weeks later...

nice guide :thumbup

quick question: why did you mark 'Shell Event Sounds' as UNSAFE ??

ok, maybe some more..

'Printers' - if you remove HP Printers you won't be able to use one 'cause some hpprinters don't have downloadable drivers for vista..

'Storage Controlers' - not safe for virtuals (vmware) and some notebooks

'Windows Photo Gallery' and 'Windows Photo Viewer' - both pretty safe to remove

'Remote Desktop and Assistance' and 'Remote Desktop Client' - as i remember if you remove those you won't have the 'Terminal' service any more, and some programs need this for installation..

'Windows Firewall' - safe to remove (happy comodo user B) )

'Internet Connection Sharing' - safe..

'UAC' - you won't be able to install some drivers for some touchpads (Synaptics if i'm not mistaken..)

and again: very impressive guide, so KUDOS! :thumbup

• 3 weeks later...
'Remote Desktop and Assistance' and 'Remote Desktop Client' - as i remember if you remove those you won't have the 'Terminal' service any more, and some programs need this for installation..

'UAC' - you won't be able to install some drivers for some touchpads (Synaptics if i'm not mistaken..)

In my other thread I talk about ERROR 1904 on installing certain programs. You think this has something to do with my removing UAC?

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=130512

No need to open a new Thread for this, I add it here.

A really good vLite-Guide especially for german speakink users you`ll find here:

http://german-nlite.org/wiki/index.php?tit...te:VLite-Portal

Regards, g-force

Too late. And this guide rules for English speaking users. Furthermore it's on MSFN! Thanks though.

• 2 months later...

Great guide ! TYVM for putting this up - was a tremendous help.

Question at the end of your guide - you noted your iso was down to 520 mb. I did pretty much the same settings you did in the guide (i took out a couple extra's) and removed the drivers for display, printer, tv tuners, diva, qlogic, and scanners. In the end my iso was still a solid 1.3 GB.

What are the really big size eaters or am I missing something ?

Thanks.