A little discussion from my side about winload.exe

Whell the most of you here in this forum knows that you can change the boot screen , by changing in mscongif the option "No Gui" and changing winload.exe.mui.

The hidden bootscreen will be shown.

But the most of you that have installed service pack 1 have discoverd that it dosn't work annymore.

Whell after sp1 is installed , Vista uses winload.exe to show the bootscreen and not winload.exe.mui annymore.

The winload.exe file is digital signed and loses this if the file is changed.

I have changed winload.exe with a new bootlogo, but i have troubles with the digital signing of that file.

Has someone already found a solution for it or found a work around of it?

Maybe someone has the pfx file of winload.exe, then i can make it finished?

Hi pascalbianca,

You must use "Vista Visual Master" to make a bootscreen (Winload.exe.mui) compatible Vista Sp1 and not "Bootlogo Generator" (Not compatible with Sp1). And then create a synchronous command in Pass "oobeSystem" with this code in your "Autounattend.xml" file :

CMD /C BCDEDIT /SET QUIETBOOT ON

or using the "SetupComplete.cmd" with the $OEM$ tree.

Here is a tutorial that I write in French unfortunately : http://www.win-web.be/forum/index.php?show...amp;#entry92088

It works fine for me

Good Luck

Edited by wallace1

Well there for i opened this discussiong because that i already tryed.

I spid down the site of microsoft where they mention that this only is possible when you did not install sp1.

In sp1 , Vista dos'nt load winload.exe.mui annymore but the winload.exe file instead , located in the system32 map.

If you would open the winload.exe file (not winload.exe.mui) then you will see that this is exactly the same structure only it is digital signed.

If you have a virtual server installed and you would try to remove the file in system32 , you will notice that Vista no longer will boot.

Well there for i opened this discussiong because that i already tryed.

I spid down the site of microsoft where they mention that this only is possible when you did not install sp1.

In sp1 , Vista dos'nt load winload.exe.mui annymore but the winload.exe file instead , located in the system32 map.

If you would open the winload.exe file (not winload.exe.mui) then you will see that this is exactly the same structure only it is digital signed.

If you have a virtual server installed and you would try to remove the file in system32 , you will notice that Vista no longer will boot.

Have you tried this :

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion...html#post862510