WPI Classc for Legacy OS'es!

Announcing!

Works GREAT on Windows 2000 and earlier (Targeting 98\ME!) MUST HAVE IE updated to v6 before WPI runs.

No there no real instructions yet (see the help page of the website for what there is right now) but allot of you are familiar with WPI and it is a fairly simple program to use.

Place the WPI folder at the root of your disk and the scripts to start WPIC (However you choose) need to point to WPIC.exe now.

Please visit our forum section and ask away for more advice.

PLEASE remember to donate if you really like and use this prog!

Yes it will work on the newer operating systems and can be configured on them.

Version 2.2 - (November 21st, 2009)

Minor adjustments to WPIC.exe

Fixed the GLARING bug in the dos-style commands!

Removed some unneeded code.code]

Now added a homepage section and site of its own...

[center][size=4][b]See the wpic-button.png portal for access to it![/b][/size][/center]

[center]classic.gif[/center]

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Windows Post-Install Wizard (WPI for short) is a hypertext application designed for giving users choice. While Windows XP offers many ways of customizing the setup process out of the box, its major drawback is the lack of being able to select which applications an end user may install. In the past, end users and administrators needed to either download the files manually, or create overly complex scripts that could only be used once. WPI allows you to create one image, which can then be custom configured, and optionally, automated, so that end users can install any applications.

No longer will you need a dozen CD's or more when doing a fresh Installation. No longer will you need multiple files when you are servicing another PC. With Windows Post-Install Wizard all that you will need is 1 or 2 CD\DVD's to fully install your PC with all of your apps, scripts, registry files or tweaks. Instead of having to re-download those apps like adobe reader, flash or updates to programs you can have them all on one disk.

With your typical setup of WPI you have your OS and all of the apps, tweaks and such on one disk. After windows installs, WPI kicks in and you are given a selection of everything you have configured WPI with, then you can select the ones you want or simply let the timer run out and your default apps will install.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

• 3 weeks later...

Actually I was more worried about the commands within the file than the extension itself. I admit not being familiar with the syntax used in WPI.cmd. :blushing:

Also I notice the reg file has a Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 header which is also not recognized by Win9x regedit; should use REGEDIT4 instead.

And... I'm not sure about that .hta. :unsure: Can the window be moved to a monitor other than primary one, in a multi-monitor environment?

EDIT:

@ jaclaz: I've been following the Win95cmd topic at an earlier time but found no verdict on usability, integration, etc. The discussion has apparently been suspended.

Edited by Drugwash