alternate source for DX9c

ExTruckie

Could you have a firewall or anti-virus that is blocking it?

Open a command prompt (Start -> Programs/or All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt) and use the command: ping download.microsoft.com and post the result.

There's a file called HOSTS (no extension) in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc that is sometimes used to redirect ad sites to 127.0.0.1 (your computer) so they fail to load (since the ad servers obviously aren't on your computer). Usually pre-made HOSTS files are distributed and I find it unusual that someone would include Microsoft's download server. Malware sometimes uses this file to block sites that you might want access to, like a anti-virus manufacturer's website.

Have you updated your anti-virus and run a scan yet? Unless you know that you use the HOSTS file to block ads, that is probably the problem. You can look inside and edit the HOSTS file with notepad or wordpad.

Edited by redxii

I get msn whenever I manually enter the url for the update site. I also cannot update my antivirus either.

It looks like I am infected in some way.

I also can't get into my hd with my windows install on it

Looks like a complete wipe of all hard drives to make sure I got it

Is there a way to do it thru regedit??

also it affects Google Chrome too

Edited by ExTruckie

:hello: It turned out I had a dns changer trojan on my computer. I went to Spyware behave: http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showtopic=9590

and followed the instructions. I sent my logs and such to the folks at What the Tech malware forum: http://forums.whatthetech.com/HijackThis_L...emoval_f27.html

They will look at you logs and work with you on removing all the nasties on you machine. Do as they say and Do Not!!!!do anything on your own.

:thumbup