How to upgrade your WPI!

Steps to update your WPI folder:

1. Download and unRAR to a different location.
  2. 2.From your old WPI folder, copy config.js, useroptions.js, networkoptions.js and windowoptions.js from WPIScripts or UserFiles to the new UserFiles folder.
  3. Copy your Audio folder from old to new.
  4. Copy your Install folder from old to new.
  5. Copy Themes folder from old to new.
  6. Copy your logos\graphics files the new location.
  7. Rename or move your old folder in case something goes wrong.
  8. Move the new WPI folder to where you want it.
  9. Test it!

MAJOR new step!

Update your run WPI methods as wpi\wpi.hta no longer exists! You now need to use WPI\WPI.exe!

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

• 3 weeks later...

I upgraded from 6.something to 7.2.2 using the instructions here and it worked like a charm.

It did mangle two things, but (given that I maintain config.js manually) that's pretty good.

1. It stripped all comments out

2. I define variables at the start and then use those rather than 'yes'/'no' so I can easily build a disk to install just new programs when I'm updating my disk.

It would be neat if a future upgrade could preserve comments. It would be frighteningly good if it preserved all lines it didn't understand - in the right place :-)

It took me two minutes to restore my manually maintained stuff, so anything that takes more than 10 mins to code isn't worth the hassle !

Once again, excellent job!

I don't like it when people manually edit the config.js. It only leads to problems down the road. Changes like global replacements of text are fine. There will be no support for user entered comments.

I don't like it when people manually edit the config.js. It only leads to problems down the road. Changes like global replacements of text are fine. There will be no support for user entered comments.

That's fine - I was thanking not complaining ... honest :sneaky:

• 1 month later...

I have a problem. I want upgrade my wpi 720 to 730.

I have saved the 3 files in wpiscript (Config.js, useroptions.js and windowoptions.js). I have delete all old file of my older wpi without install folder and music. I have replace all file with new version (730). In wpiscript i have replace the old 3 file with my option. I run wpi and i receive message that say :

your config.js and ask if i want to update it. If i say No wpi wont't start. If i say YES wpi start but with one problem. In config.js each program lost a command line...

New situation:

pn=1;

prog[pn]=['.Net Framework 1.1'];

uid[pn]=['NETFRAMEWORK11'];

desc[pn]=['Microsoft .NET Framework utiliti per rendering grafico avanzato di windows'];

ordr[pn]=[1];

dflt[pn]=['no'];

bit64[pn]=['no'];

forc[pn]=['no'];

cat[pn]=['Sistema'];

configs[pn]=['free,mondo,mondomerda,sistema'];

cmds[pn]=[''];

deps[pn]=['DELETENETUSERACCOUNT'];

picf[pn]=['netframeworks.jpg'];

picw[pn]=['128'];

pich[pn]=['128'];

textl[pn]=['Bottom'];

pn++;

Old situation

pn=1;

prog[pn]=['.Net Framework 1.1'];

uid[pn]=['NETFRAMEWORK11'];

desc[pn]=['Microsoft .NET Framework utiliti per rendering grafico avanzato di windows'];

ordr[pn]=[1];

dflt[pn]=['no'];

forc[pn]=['no'];

bit64[pn]=['no'];

cat[pn]=['Sistema'];

configs[pn]=['free,mondo,mondomerda,sistema'];

cmds[pn]=['%WPIPATH%\\Install\\DOTNET\\dotnetfx1.exe /q:a /c:"install /l /q"','"%WPIPATH%\\Install\\deluser\\deluser.exe"'];

deps[pn]=['DELETENETUSERACCOUNT'];

picf[pn]=['netframeworks.jpg'];

picw[pn]=['128'];

pich[pn]=['128'];

textl[pn]=['Bottom'];

pn++;

Help me please

What i can do???

• 3 months later...

1. Download and unRAR to a different location.
  2. From your old WPI folder, copy config.js, useroptions.js, and windowoptions.js from WPIScripts to the new WPIScripts folder.
  3. Copy your Audio folder from old to new.
  4. Copy your Install folder from old to new.
  5. Copy Themes folder from old to new.
  6. Rename or move your old folder in case something goes wrong.
  7. Move the new WPI folder to where you want it.
  8. Test it!

I have thought about using an actual install package creator, but steps 3-5 would still need to be done manually.

• 4 weeks later...

I have thought about using an actual install package creator, but steps 3-5 would still need to be done manually.

Many installers can be programmed to copy/move/delete folders and do most of the stuff you can do with a custom application without touching a single line of code but if you could create folders for user-inserted themes and audio files (and add two options inside WPI to hide default themes and sounds in the list) then even a simple RAR SFX would be enough to update WPI.

I think a simple MSI could be nice or even Executable with features or propertys that install a fresh or upgrades WPI.

I can take a look at it someday. :)

Edited by freeAppz

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi,

I proceed as Kels advised in #1, it works like a charm.

Thank you :thumbup

BTW, as the new softwares are GB sized, I'm looking for buiding 2 DVDs, the first will be Windows 7 and office 2010 (4GB), the second with all softwares.

1) Do WPI 8.1 handle DVD1 to DVD2 change? If so, what option?

2) Let assume, that I want the first DVD1 install Windows 7 and office 2010. Then WPI run and ask to load DVD2? It is possible? If so, how?

Regards

Edited by coucou

• 1 year later...

Thank you for the upgrade WPI guide

I think step 2 in the first post should be updated from

"2.From your old WPI folder, copy config.js, useroptions.js, networkoptions.js and windowoptions.js from WPIScripts to the new WPIScripts folder."

to

"2.From your old WPI folder, copy config.js, useroptions.js, networkoptions.js and windowoptions.js from WPIScripts or UserFiles to the new UserFiles folder."

because user configurations are in "UserFiles" folder in new WPI versions.

Am I right?