Driver Installation Question

cmmcnamara

Ok so I have a small question about driver installations via nLite. It seems to me that the driver installation is just the installation of the particular INF files you select which is fine, but what if I wanted the driver and it's corresponding controller software? For example, Nvidia's Control panel or ATI's CCC? Are those able to be nLited via driver integration option or is that under a different format, say application install via RunOnceEx? And if RunOnceEx, how would I make that Unattended because I doubt that those suites as well as others are not designed with silent switches in mind as MS updates and installs are.

cmmcnamara, I am surprised no one has answered. I don't know for sure, but I suspect when you select all the .inf files your will get all the code that comes along with it. I plan on installing an ATI Catalyst driver when I get some hardware and I expect CCC to come along (I will DL the package with CCC). If it does not work that way, I'll solve that problem at that time. Today I am doing all my testing on VMware Server which can't test driver installation. I hope AMD releases a processor soon that I want. Enjoy, John.

The reason this confuses me is because yes the actual display drivers are .inf's but the control centers are packaged in executable which are part of an .msi. INF's seem easy enough to get installed but I assumed that .msi files are going to need some user input.

It seems to me that the driver installation is just the installation of the particular INF files you select which is fine, but what if I wanted the driver and it's corresponding controller software?
The reason this confuses me is because yes the actual display drivers are .inf's but the control centers are packaged in executable which are part of an .msi.
1. The INF files only contain the informations about how to get the real driver (that is the associated SYS file) installed. So the device wouldn't work at all, if nLite would just install the particular INF files.

2. nLite copies all files inclusive the EXE and MSI files of the driver folder inclusive the subfolders into the ISO file and will be transferred into your later OS partition. You can find all these files in the specific driver subfolder within the WINDOWS\NLDRV directory after having completed the OS installation (unless you have checked the nLite option "Delete driver folders after the installation is completed"). So you can easily run these application files, if this should not have been done automaticly during the installation procedure.

Alright, I figured I'd mention this because I tried to do an nVidia integration.

Although, I had to custom mod the nv4_disp.inf file because of my laptop. I just added 2 lines, so it shouldn't change much...

Anyway, the control panel doesn't some with it. You'd be better off doing a RunOnceEx silent install.

Good Luck.

Ok awesome thank you but I have a few questions. At what point of the install would the .msi or .exe's run and install? And on the option delete driver files when installation is complete, at what point is installation considered complete? Also if I chose the RunOnceEx option, how would I go about a silent install? Again thank you so much.

At what point of the install would the .msi or .exe's run and install?
At the end of the installation procedure (usually at last reboot). Look into the NV4_DISP.INF file.
And on the option delete driver files when installation is complete, at what point is installation considered complete?
The integrated drivers of the NLDRV folder are not needed anymore, when the hardware detection and installation is completed (no yellow marks within the Device Manager), but you have to pay attention, that the needed drivers of the extern hardware devices (printers, scanners etc.) are already been installed too.

Tip: All extern devices have to be powered on once the OS installation is completed. When all devices whose drivers have been integrated into the OS CD are running, you can completely delete the WINDOWS\NLDRV folder.

Installing ATI Catalyst 8.12 driver: I tried extracting the DLed file with 7-Zip and quickly got an error that a file already existed, so I abandoned this and did an install on my VM machine, and then copied the file extracted to my host. It is about 67 MB. I then built my ISO and installed it on VMware Server. When the install was complete, I looked in the NLDRV folder, and folder 005 contained the ATI driver but it was only 28.6 MB. I found no CCC folder there. I suspect the best way to install these is after install and wonder what kind of responses they would come up with for the questions asked during install of the file. Any comments? Thanks, John.

Installing ATI Catalyst 8.12 driver: I tried extracting the DLed file with 7-Zip and quickly got an error that a file already existed,
Why didn't you just run the complete ATI Catalyst 8.12 EXE file for Windows XP? The first step is just the extraction of the package into a freshly created folder (usual path:C:\ATI). So you can run the EXE file even on a system without any ATI graphics adapter.

After the extraction you will find the XP drivers, which are needed for the nLite integration, within the XP_INF subfolder of the C:\ATI directory.

After having completed your nLite processing, you can delete the C:\ATI directory.

Fernando 1, I did do what you suggest and said so in my last post. Since I did it on my VM (no ATI hardware), I got an error as soon as the extraction was complete that there was no applicable HW.

ricktendo64, I am running XP x64 and there is very little support in various packs for them and I prefer to have better control of what goes into my machine.

Thanks to both, Enjoy, John.

Fernando 1, I did do what you suggest and said so in my last post. Since I did it on my VM (no ATI hardware), I got an error as soon as the extraction was complete that there was no applicable HW.
At this point you have to cancel the "installation" procedure, but you have access to the completely extracted ATI driver files (usually within the C:\ATI directory).