Firefox 3 question

gpatrick

I read there was a patch that allowed Firefox 3 to run on Windows 98se/ME but the super moderator closed it and removed the links? Why?

No offense to the Moderator. Why is the patch not allowed? Isn't the gecko engine Firefox uses considered open source and you are free to modify the engine or source?

If the patch just modifies the gecko engine, than it perfect legal to have the patch. Otherwise you could not have other stuff based of the gecko engine.

Sorry if posted in wrong forum.

what if people dont want KernelEX?

You must stick with Firefox 2, Opera, SeaMonkey 1.1x (not SeaMonkey 2 alfa because it required KernelEx) or some other browsers.

I am a little confused, I thought sea monkey would continue to support old operating system, this is what I read in the moz forums. They even said the would not use the new Gecko 1.9 engine. Did they do a turn about as well?

With my tweaks, I will still be able to use paypal with firefox 2.0.0.20

I got the EV extension for firefox and useragent switcher. This will allow me to fool websites into thinking I am running xp with firefox 3.0.5 or IE 7 on Vista.

Seems like K-Meleon and Opera will still support old systems.

By the way, I am still having problems getting shockwave 11 to install correctly using kernelex.

It gives me a dll error about the Kernel32.

There must be something I forgot to do with kernelex after I installed. Yes, I did edit that .ini file.

Edited by gpatrick

You must stick with Firefox 2, Opera, SeaMonkey 1.1x (not SeaMonkey 2 alfa because it required KernelEx) or some other browsers.

I am a little confused, I thought sea monkey would continue to support old operating system, this is what I read in the moz forums. They even said the would not use the new Gecko 1.9 engine. Did they do a turn about as well?

Regarding seamonkey 2.0, the system requirement is : http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/2.0/system-requirements

Our 98 is being ignored... :no:

Regarding seamonkey 2.0, the system requirement is : http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/2.0/system-requirements

Our 98 is being ignored... :no:

That is one thing I hate about computers and computer operating system the becomes outdated too soon.

Some people will disagree with me. I think 98se is the most stable system. Even If I did have xp or Vista. Software is getting to big. I looked at avg free 8. It is 75 Mb that is pretty huge for a person on dial up. Yes, I am still on dial-up. I am really surprised with Seamonkey how much space is required for a mac. I liked it when software was easy to install and not to big.

If you use some of AXCEL216 tips, Grc tips and use outpost firewall freeware version and avg 7, you can have a pretty secure system for windows 98se. I have avast ready to install, should avg quit supporting windows 98se. The only thing I will miss is the avg dos boot up scanner. I would not use all of Axecl216 tip, some are gone and some will crash you system. Firefox 2.0.0.20 is not a memory hog.

Edited by gpatrick

There were talks of SeaMonkey 2.0 using Gecko 1.8 if the transition from the XPFE to toolkit infastructure would take too long. As it is now, the transition is mostly complete, so 2.0 will use Gecko 1.9.

When installed, SeaMonkey doesn't take up that much space than Firefox. In fact, it takes less than Firefox and Thunderbird combined. The reason for the large difference between the Firefox installer and the SeaMonkey installer is due to the fact that the Firefox installer uses 7zip compression. SeaMonkey's installer is based on older XPFE code, so it uses regular ZIP compression.

Using 7zip, the SeaMonkey installer should be between 7 and 8 MB in size.

Just want to mention here, Firefox 3.0.5 could not be installed even if KernelEx (v3.6) is installed. Whenever I try to run the installer, it will report back that it requires a newer version of windows like Windows 2000. Firefox 3 and 3.1 would run just fine with KernelEX. Just don't know if things will be different if I used the Kernel 3.6a. Haven't tried it yet.

Just want to mention here, Firefox 3.0.5 could not be installed even if KernelEx (v3.6) is installed. Whenever I try to run the installer, it will report back that it requires a newer version of windows like Windows 2000. Firefox 3 and 3.1 would run just fine with KernelEX. Just don't know if things will be different if I used the Kernel 3.6a. Haven't tried it yet.

Firefox 3.0.5 is looking in the registry to see what you have. You can fool the install in additon to kernelex by editing the registry to change in from windows 98 to windows xp/vista. There are two keys to change. Just remember after you install Firefox or xp programs, change it back. Then you may have to use the override to run it. Sorry, I can not find the key information at this time. I should of saved it.

@gpatrick

Firefox 3.0.5 is looking in the registry to see what you have. You can fool the install in additon to kernelex by editing the registry to change in from windows 98 to windows xp/vista. There are two keys to change. Just remember after you install Firefox or xp programs, change it back. Then you may have to use the override to run it. Sorry, I can not find the key information at this time. I should of saved it.

Hmm...do you mean, changing the version number of windows in the registry? If I have the correct assumption, then this is the same registry trick taught by Tihiy to make Flashplayer 10 work in Win98SE which, unfortunately, wouldn't work for me for some reason. Firefox would keep crashing on me with Flashplayer 10 installed. I told Tihiy about it and he too couldn't understand it either. Anyway, I'll try this trick for Firefox 3.0.5. By the way, if you're referring to another registry trick, please do post it here when you find it so I can try it out too. Thanks!

And one more thing, I see you're having problems with Shockwave 11. I suggest that you install shockwave 11, then search for the file gdiplus.dll in your system then copy-paste it in the c:windows/system/adobe/shockwave folder. Then visit the flash/shockwave testing page of the Adobe website to see if it works. It worked for me.

Edited by jglori