Topic / thread moves

98Guy

About once or twice a month an active topic or thread in the win-9x forum will get moved. Invariably, the thread will involve discussion about a particular piece of software (usually AV, firewall, perhaps some other app) and the future, past or present compatibility of that software with win-9x. I would hazzard a guess that everyone who regularly reads such posts would agree that such topics or threads are more relevant to win-98 moreso than some other forum.

Yet someone comes along and moves the topic/thread to some other forum, where (invariably) regular readers of (that) forum will post messages like "why are you still using win-98?". In other words, by moving the thread (which is win-98-centric) into a more general forum, the quality of the responses drops dramatically and regular win-9x forum readers quickly abandon the thread.

Example:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=127720

So my questions are - why can't the "mover" of a thread be identified, and why can't the mover be forced to enter a brief explanation as to why the topic was moved (otherwise the move doesn't, or can't, take place)?

On a different level, I ask that some leeway be considered before such posts are moved in the first place.

Well although I'd readily hold my hand up to this had it been me, I actually agree that the topic should have been placed in that correct Forum area initially.

Just because you decide to distance yourself from the computing world with your choice of Operating System, doesn't mean you should distance yourself from the other Forums too, you are free to visit them all.

Why do you think we have a Software Hangout and a Malware Prevention and Security Forum. If all users of specific OSes confined all related questions to their own OS Forum group there'd be no need for them.

As an additional note, I don't think that the Administration team should be 'forced' to have to account for every decision they make, I'm sure that most of us are happy to attempt explanation for our actions but forcing the issue I feel is unnecessary.

If you actually knew how much work our Moderators etc. put in to making this the Best Forum on Earth, you'd understand why additional 'forced' impositions would be a bad idea. Most of us do try, time permitting, to include an inline note or additional post if they feel it's necessary although sometimes it does slip our minds.

We'll take your post 'on board' however and at least try to minimize our number of 'slip-ups' in future.

Thank you.