Vista X64...........Worth Moving To?

adrian2055

The problem is with the user in this case and you are outnumbered.

I disagree. I think Vista lovers are just louder.

Initially, I was reluctant to switch to Vista as well but now I find it hard to go back to XP.

I too tried (and said to myself I would give it a chance for at least one week), but came running back in disgust after two days - I couldn't stand it anymore.

GL

So is there any way to get rid off this media licensing crap completely, say, using vLite perhaps?

I tried x64 Vista for a day and well, I am not sure what the conclusion would be. At least it is stable compared to the last time I tried (pre-SP1). I don't really have any way to compare the performance by exact numbers, but I THINK disk operations are about same as under XP. Hm.

I don't like the GUI at all though, too used to XP :)

Btw. Can anyone confirm that by using Aero the general load decreases as this gets taken care of by VGA?

Overally it is "ok". But 4GB of RAM is really a must (but 8 being an overkill).

DO YOU HEAR ME?

All right, slow down, run around the block a few times to get some air.

the results of vista depends on all hardware in the base unit....all that encrypting/decrypting takes cpu cycles....if any part is slow it will slow the whole box

Can you provide some evidence to support this ? Or do you mean the TPM chip that supports Bitlocker ? I don't have that and Vista works just fine.

checking checking...checking....vista will double your electricity consumption as vista keeps checking...

You can NOT be serious.

I USE WINDOWS ME...NO 3 SECOND DELAYS ..I CLICK AND IT WORKS INSTANTLY ON MY ATHLON 1.8GHZ ECS MOTHERBOARD WITH AMD 3200+ CPU.

Good for you, although you have confused a few things : a 3200+ is not running 1.8Ghz.

Also for newer applications/games/hardware you're toast as they are no longer supporting the 98/Me platform.

I plan to replace the vista crap with server 2003 configured as a desktop.Everyone reports excellent results.

It's still going to take a bit hacking to get it running as a desktop OS. Are you going to pay for the license yourself ?

To the topic starter :

If you're now running 32-bit Vista, I don't see a reason to step over to 64-bit, unless you plan on using more than 3Gb of memory.

I've recently moved to a new CoreDuo build with 4GB and chose to install Vista x64, while I ran XP on an older Athlon 64 with 2GB before. Suits my needs perfectly.

And yes, like someone else said : an external drive is generally slower. Especially if it's on USB you'll feel that the drive is working. If you're working a lot with big files on an external drive, I'd recommend firewire. It's not going to be faster, but it'll keep your pc free to do other things.

ATHLON 3200+ CAN RUN AT 2.6 GHZ

but i use crystal cpuid to keep it running lower depending on load and saving energy.

vista will double your electricity and contribute towards global warming.a cpu running at high l;oad will consume more electric current.

no hacking is reqiured at all to get server 2003 as desktop...a forum exists.control panel adjustments take 10 minutes.

renowned vista expert pete guttman confirms what i said about how single subsystem can slow vista if it cannot keep up with non-stop encrypting/decrypting of all bytes passing to and from it....

have you ever run a encrypting programme?...see how it slows down everything?

vista is huge 15gb in size ...it spys on your every your key press...it is checking you are not stealing premium digital content without a licence from riaa/mpaa.

just ask peter guttman the worlds foremost vista expert...

pete guttman has stated how if a security systen is running vista then simply by feeding a a unlicenced/pirate copy of a DRM file you can get the vista system to reboot automatically and leaving security system disabled...that's how easy it is to disable a vista secuirty system...just feed it a pirated copy of something and it will shut down and reboot..giving thieves a free ride...

vital national security systems running vista could be shut down easily using this method by hackers,foreigners and terrorists compromising national security.

Edited by esecallum

Felipe said

And yes, like someone else said : an external drive is generally slower. Especially if it's on USB you'll feel that the drive is working. If you're working a lot with big files on an external drive, I'd recommend firewire. It's not going to be faster, but it'll keep your pc free to do other things.

In the main, correct but wrong on firewire being no faster than USB. In Radcom (The mag of the Radio Society of Great Britain cant find the edition) there was a series on "Software Defined Radio" basically a transmitter/receiver where the signal processing is done in a PC. Firewire IS faster than USB because USB makes more demands on the CPU than firewire does . But for external HDD's eSATA tops both

Ill try and dig the article out

Tony

ATHLON 3200+ CAN RUN AT 2.6 GHZ

but i use crystal cpuid to keep it running lower depending on load and saving energy.

Ah that explains it, it wasn't clear from your original post.

vista will double your electricity and contribute towards global warming.a cpu running at high l;oad will consume more electric current.

Ah, I think you're referring to this quote from your expert Pete Guttman :

"Separately, all the extra encryption required to meet Vista’s content protection standards means some computer components can never enter power-saving mode, he said. Thus, when you play a movie your CPU keeps running at full steam, he said. The extra power demands make it hard to reduce electricity usage."

“It’s a bit of an extreme claim, but you could say Windows Vista causes global warming, because it’s burning so much power with all this nonsense,”

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/0809...def.html?page=2

Reality has really caught up with this false statement. Despite what this mr Guttman says, there is no prove of any of that.

As to the global warming thing : it's really, really farfetched to use that as a attention grabber.

The other claims of Guttman also don't survive any real tests.

no hacking is reqiured at all to get server 2003 as desktop...a forum exists.control panel adjustments take 10 minutes.

If editing the policy, registry and installing non-ms apps to enable things is not hacking, then yes, it's not hacking. I consider it hacking though.

Again : also consider the difference in license cost.

vista is huge 15gb in size ...it spys on your every your key press...it is checking you are not stealing premium digital content without a licence from riaa/mpaa.

Default installation is indeed a bit large.

I used Vlite to remove unwanted languages and features that I won't use.

pete guttman has stated how if a security systen is running vista then simply by feeding a a unlicenced/pirate copy of a DRM file you can get the vista system to reboot automatically and leaving security system disabled...that's how easy it is to disable a vista secuirty system...just feed it a pirated copy of something and it will shut down and reboot..giving thieves a free ride...

Can you please tell me what you and this guy are smoking, it seems to alter reality for you and him. I have never had my machine reboot like you decribe, or have had any of Vista security systems shut down. Yes I download lots of movies and other things.

On my test machine a P4 at 2.6 and 1 gig of ram x86 Vista SP2 preforms ok for me, it seems to be faster then x86 Vista SP1 and SP2 uses a little less ram.

On my main machine A Quad Core P4 at 2.5 and 8 gigs of ram I use X64 Vista SP1 and this machine is very fast.

To the original poster if you have enough ram then go for the x64, I have been happy using Vista x64

vista will double your electricity

Completely false. No facts to back it up obviously. Anyone with more than two brains cells would know it's impossible in the first place. Even if your CPU was peaked @ 100% 24/7, it wouldn't double your computer's electricity usage, which is only like 5% tops of total power usage. This holds no basis in reality, just like all your claims.

renowned vista expert pete guttman

Expert? ROFL :lol: :lol: :lol: That's got to be the funniest usage of "expert" in a sentence I've EVER seen! He's the renowed laughing stock of the IT industry (and more). He made a bunch of wildly inaccurate and ridiculous claims, did no research at all obviously, and been proven wrong on all counts repeatedly. I'd sooner listen to the ramblings of a random drunk at closing time at any local bar. Expert clown perhaps?

Just read this and this. You'll quickly see he was COMPLETELY wrong, 100% wrong, on all and everything, since the very beginning. *ALL* of his laughable claims have been thoroughly debunked several times over. There's even a lot of his claims you can actually test yourself, and you'll easily see he was also wrong on those too...

Obviously you're basing your opinions on sensationalist FUD written by a know-nothing nutcase.

vista is huge 15gb in size

So what? Hard drives have increased in size since 2001. Back in 2001, a 40GB WD drive was $250 and now you can get 1500GB'ers for half that. And BTW, OS X and other modern OS'es are no better. At current storage prices, that's $1.50 worth of storage space, you seem to worry a lot about what amounts of enough change to buy a medium coffee at a local shop. Install it on 6 computers, and you've wasted almost enough money for a discounted Tuesday afternoon movie ticket!

...it spys on your every your key press...it is checking you are not stealing premium digital content without a licence from riaa/mpaa.

Again, beanie on too tight? There are no facts anywhere in your post, much less in this part.

foreigners and terrorists compromising national security.

Oh noes! Run for the hills! They're coming for us! :rolleyes:

You're only embarrassing yourself here.

Can you please tell me what you and this guy are smoking, it seems to alter reality for you and him.

Yeah, no kidding.

Extractions and copying is still very slow on x64.

For you perhaps. I first installed Vista x86 after SP1 came out, and I've never, ever had any of those issues. In fact, on many file operations, it's noticeably faster.

Maybe you know, maybe you dont.....If you turn off Differential File Compression, it gets even faster.

I DID NOT know!! :(

Now that I do, holy snyykerzz!! MUCH better.

TY TY TY TY TY

Now, to make vista auto show copied content on the desktop. No reason to have to hit F5 to see the files/folders you just put there.

That, and to get the RAM freed up after game installations (or any huge app).

vista will double your electricity

Completely false. No facts to back it up obviously. Anyone with more than two brains cells would know it's impossible in the first place. Even if your CPU was peaked @ 100% 24/7, it wouldn't double your computer's electricity usage, which is only like 5% tops of total power usage. This holds no basis in reality, just like all your claims.

You are wrong again.A cpu which is running at near full load must consume more power...this is fact...

You are clearly lying when you say a cpu uses 5% of total power usage.What is using the the other remaining 95%?

ANSWER ME.

I have defeated you again.

Any processing consumes energy...

Vista is processing non stop so it must consume more electricity.

Your attacks on Pete Guttman are based on jealousy.He has travelled to all the computers symposiums in front of computer experts and given these presentations in front of experts who have concurred and for you to cast aspersions on a well respected professional is wrong and morally reprehensible.

He is fighting against the might of mega corporations to which you seem to be connected as they send you freebies therefore automatically putting on their side.

This is standard practice by mega corporations to sway people their way.

DID YOU KNOW THAT VISTA CHECKS THE OUTPUT PORTS 60 TIMES A SECOND TO SEE IF YOU RE STEALING premium content?

This slows down the pc further..

A high definition video i make on a camera would not be playable at full resolution due to drm down grading the quality.

Once again your assertion that a cpu uses only 5% of total power is clearly false.A cpu is the main consumer of power.

Edited by esecallum

My older AMD Athlon box that I upgraded to Vista from XP does use about the same amount of power regardless of OS. The Vista OS does tax the hardware a bit more, but seems to do better with sleeping when not in use (I use the balanced power scheme). Just saying a CPU at 100% uses more power so Vista must use more power doesn't take into account the overall OS.

And if your Vista machine is consistently at 100% CPU, either your hardware is VASTLY underpowered for Vista or you have a problem with your install. This is not normal behavior.

Where are your facts coming from esecallum? If you're going to make accusations like that, then you must have a reliable source that you're quoting from.

Ed Bott, a highly respected technology writer, even wrote "Gutmann’s work is riddled with factual errors, mistaken assumptions and unproven assertions, distortions, contradictions, misquotes, and outright untruths. In short, it’s a work of fiction all on its own."

And I DO have a source for my information. (And yes, I did read Guttman's theory about DRM.)

Also, there's no need to attack others or call them a liar just because they don't agree with you. Provide the factual sources, and maybe someone would possibly pay attention.

Edited by Witt3439