Is my PSU enough?

Messerschmitt

I have a nmedia 500W PSU

(http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18928&vpn=MP-500&manufacture=NMedia%20System)

My system is a E6750, 2GB ram 800 MHZ, 1 500GB seagate, 1 DVD-RW, 2 120MM fan and 1 80MM fan on case, and just bought a HD4870 replacing my 8600 GTS.

I am asking this because after I installed the video card windows pretty much forgot tons of devices/drivers. It had to re-install all my mouse, monitor, keyboard, sound, etc. It also took 3 restarts to come back to "normal" as in all drivers back online. Also during a restart, since windows wouldn't close (not even shutdown -s -f in CMD), upon a hard restart, the PC powered off completely for 3 seconds until it re-started again.

Does this have to do with my power supply not being enough? What about if the video card will come under load in games, can it run out of power then but have enough power to keep on in windows?

Thanks

I have a nmedia 500W PSU

Weak 12v rails, around 320W combined seemingly (doesn't say on the label either -- not a good sign!). The parts inside are ~99% the same as their 400W model (not impressive). The OEM is Shenzen Chi Yuan, which also make similar models like the NorthQ NQ-4800-400 which are reviewed here (summary: overstated power unsurprisingly, died during the test, thoroughly unimpressive, save the having the worst efficiency I've *EVER* seen in any PSU: a horrible 56%!)

Look, I have overclocked E8400, 1TB Samsung HDD, 2x1GB of RAM, 4870 and the total power consumption is LESS than 300W.

Go figure.

The industry is fooling us man... 400W PSU is way enough for normal PC.

edit: Must admit there is not a PSU like a PSU... Quality 400W one is NOT equal to sh*tty 500W one.

I can recommend the one I got - enermax Modu 82+ ( I think).

Edited by TheWalrus

The industry is fooling us man... 400W PSU is way enough for normal PC.

Exactly. I bought a pair of 350W Seasonic PSUs for the kids' new boxes a month ago. It's plenty for "normal" uses.

Quality 400W one is NOT equal to sh*tty 500W one.

Exactly. Not all PSUs are equal -- FAR from it. And wattage alone (especially on cheaper/no-name units) means very little these days, just like wattage on cheap computer speakers. I'd be surprised if that PSU can handle 400W of power for any amount of time, even if it says 500 on it. The lower wattage better brand name units are 99% of the time FAR better...

Haven't looked at that vid card though (I'm a total non-gamer), no idea how much power it actually needs.

Edit: the modu82+ is nice, but no need to spend $160 to have a decent PSU either. My (albeit lower wattage) Seasonics were $30 each which is also 80plus certified -- typical efficiency almost 84% and average is 82% (PDF with curve here) Not enough wattage for a SLI system perhaps, and it's not modular, but hard to beat for the price!

But anyways. 56% efficiency is beyond horrible (assuming it's like the other PSU from the same company). Buying a 80plus certified PSU would cost him less than $0: it would pay for itself in under a year. If his rig uses 150W average (may or may not be the case; I just gotta start from something), assuming cheap hydro power @ 10 cents/KWh and sales taxes around 15% it costs about 1$/watt of power used 24/7.

His current PSU power usage: 150W/0.56= 267W from the wall;

A decent 80plus PSU @ say 82%: 150W/0.82= 182W from the wall: a net saving of 85W, or about 85$/year, which over a 4 year or so lifespan will save him close to $350 (more if power costs more over there).

BTW, the outervision calc says that rig with that new vid card could work on a 270W PSU.

Edited by crahak

How did you got all that information about nmedia? Is there a review?

It seems this PSU gives me no problems with my new 4870. (prooly no way to tell anyway unless the hole computer shuts down because no power Iguess).

Would you suggest buying this one? http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...mp;promoid=1048

A 500W Coolermaster for 20$? (40 without the rebate)

BTW, this review says the power efficiency is over 80%

http://www.modthebox.com/review496_1.shtml

How did you got all that information about nmedia?

Google-fu. OEMs can be tracked down from the UL number and such. No magic here.

Coolermaster's Real Power series is quite good (in fact, I got one in my main box), the OEM is Enhance (and seemingly it's one of their nicer units too). Very good build quality, solid design, it's no lightweight POS. 80 plus and all, LOTS of cables, and long ones too. No complaints whatsoever. Very good reviews everywhere, like this one.

Their eXtreme Power series however is a different story. It's not built by the same OEM at all, and it's their budget series. They're in fact built by different OEMs, some being complete trash IMHO (hipro). The 500W one is a 450W in disguise (a Seventeam ST-450ZPF, which is OK seemingly). Then again, don't expect to get a quality, solid, well built 500W unit for $20.

BTW, this review says the power efficiency is over 80%

This review did no actual testing whatsoever, and merely reprinted what's claimed on the manufacturer's website. In fact, I'd hardly call that a review...

Now, if you do go check good review sites, you won't see so nice things about it... First, you could check the previous review of the other PSU based on the same design (the one that says 56% measured efficiency and that it failed). Then there's silentpcreview who outright refused to even review it. Or how jonnyguru made one, sort of. It took two attempts. 1st: "Nothing to see. Just a loud bang." -- it died well short of its rated wattage and well cooled too, dead transistors... 2nd attempt: "nMedia asked me not to put the review up." -- it actually was available for a short while too. 500W is peak, and that's at 25°C... No name (KSC & Jpac) caps, the PCB says "350-450W" on it (that's more like it), etc. I can't really think of anything good to say about it.

Edited by crahak

Simple rule of thumb - NEVER skimp on the power supply. Like crahak said, there's often no point in paying $150 and up for a PSU, but you don't want to pick from the bottom of the barrel either.