Silent .NET Maker synthesized 20100118 - W2K/XP/2K3 x86

strel

Hi strel. First I'd like to thank you for making this script. I've used previous versions without problems (including the install I'm typing this on).

But with the latest one I'm getting this error:

aayihu.png

My _SNMSynth.ini file looks like this:

PROCESS_DNF1=
PROCESS_DNF2=
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF2=YES
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF3=YES
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF35=YES

PROCESS_DNF3_RGBRAST=YES
PROCESS_DNF3_WINIMAGING=YES
PROCESS_DNF3_MSXML6=YES
PROCESS_DNF3_XMLPSSC=YES

DNF_FF_ADDON=YES

PROCESS_LNG_DNF1=
PROCESS_LNG_DNF2=
PROCESS_LNG_DNF35_DNF2=
PROCESS_LNG_DNF35_DNF3=
PROCESS_LNG_DNF35_DNF35=

ADDON=YES
MERGE_FRAMEWORKS=YES
SILENT=
COMPRESSION_RATIO=
WINXP=YES

Cheers!

There's a bug processing 1.1 and 2.0 SP2 hotfixes, write KB instead of kb in the filename and you won't get this error. I'll release the update soon.

Cheers.

Edited by strel

Hi,strel :hello:

I avoid to install NET Framework 3.5 with the following registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5\Setup]

"BlockSP"=dword:00000001

But,DNF20SP2.exe describes unnecessary registries.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5]

"SP"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5\1041]

"SP"=dword:00000001

These registries cause appearance KB963707 on WUD.

Hi karmatron.

I didn't understand you first time, you mean I can substitute second and third regkeys with first one. Is it that? I think it is not enough to avoid KB951847 as the fix included do in case you are not having all 2.0 SP2+3.0 SP2+3.5 SP1 installed, but anyway I'll give it a go. This fix makes win/ms update (not WUD that's another useful piece of software) believe the whole set are installed, and this should cause update system to push KB963707 if another fix avoiding this were not being applied.

And thx for your interest.

Edited by strel

Hi,strel. :)

I'm sorry in the insufficient explanation.

First reg key refers to

How to temporarily block the installation of the .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959211/

I integrated only NET2.0SP2 nLite addon (DNF20SP2ja.7z) into Windows XP SP3 disc.

And I avoid to install NET3.5 on WUD with the first reg key.

Because, I do not want to install NET3.5 if it is unnecessary.

After Installation of Windows with the integrated disc, WUD pushes KB963707 there is no NET3.5SP1.

If remove the second and third reg key, KB963707 disappears on WUD.

karmatron, first I didn't know this article, I'll see what can I do with it. Thx.

But SNMsynth's add-on you used (if made with latest version of the script) include a fix to avoid win/ms update to push KB951847, and this update is what it is going to install 3.0 SP2+3.5 SP1+regular hotfixes for both (and for 2.0 SP2 if you didn't apply them)+langpacks for both, in your case. This fix makes win/ms update think the previous set is installed.

If you apply that "BlockSP" reg key, you're applying 2 different fixes to avoid intalling 3.5 SP1 through KB951847 at the same time. And I suppose this should be the cause KB963707 is being pushed, because there's a fix included in that add-on too, for making win/ms update think KB963707 is installed (as it is thinking 3.5 SP1 is installed, so that KB963707 should be applied), that seem not to be working when you apply that reg key.

And again, I suppose you're referring to WU and not WUD (Windows Update Downloader) that is another piece of software not related with all this.

EDIT: While doing my tests I remembered I was playing time ago with this regkey when looking for the KB951847 fix and I finally discarded it but I've forgotten the reasons that led me to this. Now I realized the reason why I did it. Using the block regkey is not a perfect solution from the point of view of consistency.

While it is far simple to use that regkey than to simulate that absent frameworks (from the group of KB951847) + their regular hotfixes + their langpacks (matching OS language), are installed (method used by SNMsynth installers), it doesn't allow to happen things like this: Imagine you use SNMsynth installer to install .NET 2.0 SP2 + its regular hotfixes + its langpack (matching OS language), i.e. making KB951847 fix applies simulating 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 + their regular hotfixes + their langpacks (matching OS language) are installed, thus removing KB951847 prompting you to install this framework versions from win/ms update; then you remove 2.0 SP2 langpack, at this moment you should be prompted by win/ms update to install 2.0 SP2 langpack through an ad-hoc KB951847 update, but if you use that block regkey method, you won't be prompted to do that.

Edited by strel

Thanks to strel and his regular updates on the first page, I've decided to make my own contribution here to make the life easier for those who find .NET integration (particularly the editing of _SNMsynth.ini file) difficult. Below is MY OWN understanding - explained in a layman terms - of how this file should be edited to get successful results for different scenarios, based on strel's instructions. His instructions is a must-read before posting here. Although the description inside .INI is self-explanatory, based on my own experience, I hoped this post will make the things easier for lazies like me. :P This info is for English version of XP only! Users of systems with different languages must download separate language packs. strel and other gurus, please correct me if I'm wrong. Again, this in NO WAY compares to strel's full explanation of the process and reflects my own understanding of the integration process only! So, here we go:

SCENARIO 1

Goals:

- to make a merged installer which contains .NET 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1.

- to apply all regular hotfixes for the above.

- to avoid possible error messages in Event Viewer after Windows startup.

- optional: to avoid installation of Firefox ClickOnce addon

- number of "_SNMsynth.cmd" runs: 1

Solution:

1) Read "INSTRUCTIONS" section to know which files are required to start integration and download them as instructed.

2) Download the following files and put ALL of them together with files mentioned at point 1 inside a single folder:

.NET 1.1 Redistributable Package

NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe

NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe

.NET 3.5 SP1 Redistributable Package

NDP20SP2-KB958481-x86.exe

NDP30SP2-KB958483-x86.exe

NDP35SP1-KB958484-x86.exe

3) Edit "_SNMsynth.ini" as follows (without my comments inside the code):

PROCESS_DNF1=YES		; builds installer with .NET 1.1
PROCESS_DNF2=
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF2=YES ; builds installer with .NET 2.0 SP2 portion of .NET 3.5 SP1 redistributable package
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF3=YES ; builds installer with .NET 3.0 SP2 portion of .NET 3.5 SP1 redistributable package
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF35=YES ; builds installer with .NET 3.5 SP1

PROCESS_DNF3_RGBRAST=YES
PROCESS_DNF3_MSXML6=YES
PROCESS_DNF3_XMLPSSC=YES

DNF_FF_ADDON=NO

PROCESS_LNG_DNF1=NO
PROCESS_LNG_DNF2=NO
PROCESS_LNG_DNF35_DNF2=NO
PROCESS_LNG_DNF35_DNF3=NO
PROCESS_LNG_DNF35_DNF35=NO

ADDON=YES
MERGE_FRAMEWORKS=YES
SILENT=YES
COMPRESSION_RATIO=HIGHER

4) Run "_SNMsynth.cmd" and wait until the merged .NET installer is ready.

NOTE: Make sure you use RunOnceEx method with this scenario to avoid resulting Event Viewer errors at the end of installation. To use partial (!) SVCPACK method or to slipstream driver packs which require installation of .NET-dependent applications like ATI Catalyst Control Panel into Windows installation disc (more info @ DriverPacks.NET), please use Scenario 2 below.

SCENARIO 2

Goals:

- to make separate installers for i) .NET 1.1 and 2.0 SP2; ii) 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1.

- to apply all regular hotfixes for the above.

- to avoid possible error messages in Event Viewer after drivers' installation and at Windows startup.

- optional: to avoid installation of Firefox ClickOnce addon

- number of "_SNMsynth.cmd" runs: 2

Solution:

1) same as at point 1 of Scenario 1

2) same as at point 2 of Scenario 1

3) For the first run, i.e. to make a separate merged installer for .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 SP2, edit "_SNMsynth.ini" as follows:

PROCESS_DNF1=YES		; builds installer with .NET 1.1
PROCESS_DNF2=
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF2=YES ; builds installer with .NET 2.0 SP2 portion of .NET 3.0 SP2.
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF3=
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF35=

PROCESS_DNF3_RGBRAST=YES
PROCESS_DNF3_MSXML6=YES
PROCESS_DNF3_XMLPSSC=YES

DNF_FF_ADDON=NO

PROCESS_LNG_DNF1=NO
PROCESS_LNG_DNF2=NO

ADDON=YES
MERGE_FRAMEWORKS=YES
SILENT=YES
COMPRESSION_RATIO=HIGHER

Note: Optionally you can download NetFx20SP2_x86.exe to build a merged installer for .NET 1.1 + 2.0 SP2. This is advantageous for those with weak systems, if you don't want to wait long until the silent maker extracts the 2.0 SP2 portion out of 3.5 SP1, as shown above. In this case you need to replace "PROCESS_DNF35_DNF2=YES" with "PROCESS_DNF2=YES".

4) Run "_SNMsynth.cmd" and wait until the merged .NET installer is ready.

5) For the second run, i.e. to make a separate merged installer for .NET 3.0 SP2 and .NET 3.5 SP1, edit "_SNMsynth.ini" as follows:

PROCESS_DNF1=
PROCESS_DNF2=
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF2=
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF3=YES ; builds installer with .NET 3.0 SP2
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF35=YES ; builds installer with .NET 3.5 SP1

PROCESS_DNF3_RGBRAST=YES
PROCESS_DNF3_MSXML6=YES
PROCESS_DNF3_XMLPSSC=YES

DNF_FF_ADDON=NO

PROCESS_LNG_DNF1=NO
PROCESS_LNG_DNF2=NO

ADDON=YES
MERGE_FRAMEWORKS=YES
SILENT=YES
COMPRESSION_RATIO=HIGHER

6) Again, run "_SNMsynth.cmd" and wait until the merged .NET installer is ready.

NOTE: This scenario requires that you use SVCPACK method first to install the merged installer for .NET 1.1 + 2.0 SP2 at T-13/T-12, and only then apply RunOnceEx method to run the installer for .NET 3.0 SP2 + 3.5 SP1.

Applies to both scenarios:

1) If you want to add an uninstall button to .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 add-on for Firefox, download NDP35SP1-KB963707-x86.exe as well. Put "DNF_FF_ADDON=YES" if you want to install this optional fix for Firefox.

Caution: If you include Firefox ClickOnce addon ("DNF_FF_ADDON=YES"), before running the compiled .NET installer through either of SVCPACK or RunOnceEx methods, make sure that you edit respective .inf or .cmd files so that Firefox has priority in the list, i.e. is installed first! As recommended by strel, if you choose to install the Firefox addon, the script makes you apply KB963707 to build installers since the last version it's mandatory to use "DNF_FF_ADDON=YES" because KB963707 contains important fixes for the Firefox addon.

2) Since the LAST FOUR STRINGS are self-explanatory and do not have a direct impact on integration process, I just show my own edits here but you may change them to "NO" or "YES" as you like.

3) If you use OncePiece's post-SP3 update pack v2.7.0 for Windows XP, it already contains updated MSXML (KB954459 and KB960380-v2 which supersedes KB954459) and you install it before 3.0 during Windows setup, you don't need to include MSXML in 3.0 installer (PROCESS_DNF3_MSXML6=NO).

That's it for now! Don't know, may be other scenarios are also possible to derive out of strel's recommendations but I use the above two in particular with no side-effects yet. :) Feel free to comment on this post!

Hope this helps!

Edited by simurqq