Silent .NET Maker synthesized 20100118 - W2K/XP/2K3 x86

strel

2 srwx

Add this to registry.

2 kerrisis

You need to install 3.0 SPx in order to install 3.5 SPx, is a prerequisite. I suggest you to use updated versions of the frameworks, so I'd build installers for 2.0 SP2, and 3.0 SP2.

Edited by strel

Ok, guys, I want to share my own experince from what I've read in this thread and my understanding of making separate merged installers. Your methods may be different since my requirements are different from yours! Simple as that ;)

I will highly appreciate your comments as I'm a complete newbie in .NET processing although have a good experince with unattended XPCD. After my first post here (page 4), I've decided to take some time to read about your thoughts and problems in order to ask less questions (my post was toooo long. Thanks strel for patience reading it!) but to make a complete merged installer(s) for my unattended setup with no errors whatsoever.

So, what I wanted from the synthesis was (I don't use any language packs since I'm comfortable with default English versions of .NET):

1) To compile a merged framework for .NET 1.1 w/ all hotfixes.

Why I need a separate installer for .NET 1.1? Because I've read above that .NET 3.5 causes two tiny Event Viewer erros when installed at T-13 ("svcpack method", or when using full merge/AIO installer). Therefore, I thought it would be a good idea to compile .NET 1.1 to be used with n-Lite (svcpack) and then create a separate merged installer for 3.5 w/ all hotfixes to use at first logon (I prefer "RunOnceEx method"). Since the latter pack (231Mb) contains .NET 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1, I didn't feel a need to merge 1.1 and 2.0, and this assumption also made me confident about the method I've chosen. It also implied that I would have two (2) runs for compilation - i) .NET 1.1 full; ii) .NET 3.5 full.

Ok, now to realise the first step, I have put the following files into a temporary folder with required .ini and .7z files, as instructed by strel on page 1: dotnetfx.exe; NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe; and NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe. Then, I've edited the script as follows:

PROCESS_DNF1=YES		 <------ to compile a full 1.1 installer only; other settings remain untouched.
PROCESS_DNF2=
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF2=
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF3=
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF35=

In this configuration I've been able to compile .NET 1.1 with all hotfixes.

2) To compile a merged framework for .NET 3.5 SP1 Full Redistributable w/ all hotfixes.

This time I used these files (dotnetfx35.exe; NDP20SP2-KB958481-x86.exe; NDP30SP2-KB958483-x86.exe; and NDP35SP1-KB958484-x86.exe) and have changed the script as follows and re-run "SNMsynth.cmd":

PROCESS_DNF1=
PROCESS_DNF2=
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF2=YES <------ to include NDP20SP2-KB958481-x86.exe.
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF3=YES <------ to include NDP30SP2-KB958483-x86.exe.
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF35=YES <------ to include NDP35SP1-KB958484-x86.exe.

After running SNMsynth.cmd twice, I got two folders (OUT1 and OUT2) with individual n-Lite addons inside: DNF11.7z (.NET 1.1+hotfixes) and DNF20SP230SP235SP1.7z (.NET 3.5 SP1+hotfixes). Although I've not tested them during setup, I'm (a bit) sure that this meets my requirements and will install seamlessly. However, I would like to clarify two questions based upon Caspean's post re: .NET 1.1 above:

i) does it mean that hotfixes for 1.1 are hotfixes and not SP (sorry if it sounds stupid when one cannot distinguish between a hotfix and a SP but they both contain "sp" in their names)?;

ii) if not, does NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe supersede/contain NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe?

Hope this helps! Anyone to comment/deny/approve my method? Appreciated!

Yes, it should install seamlessly. The last thing you need is to add this values in the registry, after installing all the frameworks, to avoid win/ms update prompting you to install useless KB951847.

And about NDP1.1sp1-KB######-X86.exe files, NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe is the SP1 for .NET 1.1 and NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe and NDP1.1sp1-KB947742-X86.exe are hotfixes for the SP1. But NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe is not acting as a SP, so installed .NET 1.1 SP1 appears in Add Remove Programs as 1.1 SP0 + KB867460 hotfix (when installed from ms installers not hidding the hotfixes in the list), as if it was only a bunch of hotfixes packed in a single file, what a SP actually is, but not a new version step, what a SP actually should be too. This means too it doesnt matter the order you install NDP1.1sp1-KB######-X86.exe files.

strel, thank you very very much, mate!!! You have demonstrated another example of patience reading through my confusing sentences :)

The last question - can I also use these settings, if I want to install FULL .NET package (1.1+2.0+3.0+3.5) at first logon phase, NOT T-13:

PROCESS_DNF1=YES
PROCESS_DNF2=
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF2=YES
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF3=YES
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF35=YES

It looks like I connect two pieces of settings together, as shown above, to make a single full installer this time. What I want to achieve is to get a single installer which installs at first logon and has no errors in Event Viewer. As the logic suggests, this scheme should also work and prove true since "5 is a product of 2+3 OR 3+2 - the order of items doesn't matter"! ;)

Hi I've downloaded all relevant .NET files plus hotfixes and got 7za.exe and SNMsynth.zip all extracted into the single folder.

I'm not entirely sure what I should change with the INI file, I have a slipstreamed XP SP3 image (x86) and want to add ALL .NET versions.

Please can you tell me what I need to change to make this work right! I plan to use nLite to slipstream all these and then add IE7, WMP11 and dX Nov 08 to the nlite install.

I am using:

_SNMsynth.ini

7za.exe

7zSD.sfx

dotnetfx.exe

dotnetfx35.exe

NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe

NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe

NDP20SP2-KB958481-x86.exe

NDP30SP2-KB958483-x86.exe

NDP35SP1-KB958484-x86.exe

SNMsynth.cmd

If you could upload an edited .INI I would be very grateful, or just to say if I need any changes. Thank you.

Regards

Xenos

EDIT: I don't need any language packs I just use plain old english, should simplify it a bit.

Edited by xenos

In all seriousness, isn't there just a .CAB out there for those of us who don't really want to waste a few hours :) Come on, someone has to have a working .CAB out there ;) I had one, but lost my **** NAS over the last weekend, so now I'm rebuilding plugins. But there was, at one point, a pretty brilliant AIO add on for all the dot.net's.

2 simurqq

You can do it this way, but build installers, not add-ons (or extract installers from add-ons), and you can merge all-in-one or use individual installers. But you have to keep install order 2.0 SP# then 3.0 SP# then 3.5 SP# then 1.1, this order is kept by the merged installer/add-on.

2 George King

Install 3.0 SP# is a prerequisite to install 3.5 SP#, seem you missed it in your addon. To hide KB951847 at the moment you have to install 2.0 SP#+3.0 SP#+3.5 SP# and use this registry values.

2 xenos

You should have read carefully the instructions in .ini file. This will work for you for example:

PROCESS_DNF1=YES
PROCESS_DNF2=
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF2=YES
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF3=YES
PROCESS_DNF35_DNF35=YES
OUTPUT=ADDON
MERGE_FRAMEWORKS=YES

With these settings and the files you listed, you are building an AIO nlite add-on that installs at T-13. And to avoid KB951847 add registry values of the link in George King's answer above.

2 tmservo

Maybe you're looking for this.

strel... im sure there are many peeps like me that randomly search across the web and these forums trying to find answers and methods of creating a personalised unattended install. i thought i would not leave silently and give you feedback, thankyou very much. :thumbup

i have been trying to merge .net 2 to my slipstreamed xp sp3 cd using nlite for a few days now. before this i had never used (or heard of) nlite and i have very limited experience with computing... i stumbled across this forum during my research and spent days reading threads, downloading, installing, following guides, copying, pasting, getting lost, head scratching, head aching... until i eventually stumbled across this thread. i read through your instructions carefully and hey presto... job done! though i'l admit that i messed up the first time (i was getting errors from nlite stating it was an unexpected type of hotfix) because i was putting the exe file in the nlite setup instead of the zip file :wacko:

so basically i thought rather than just use the info and move on i thought id stop by and say thanks... now im off to try and work out why my security update add-ons keep corrupting my install and how to include the WGA malarky on the disc!

Joel :hello:

• 2 weeks later...

@strel

Why does "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86" show up in WU even if I installed the full package created using your latest SNMsynth.cmd?

WU downloads just these three: NDP20SP2-KB958481-x86, NDP30SP2-KB958483-x86, NDP35SP1-KB958484-x86 (=KB951847 - family update suite), a little over 17 mb.

I tested this on two different machines. I used net 3.5 SP1 plus those three patches mentioned above.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

@strel

Sorry mate fo not reading the posts above.

Are those registry keys just a workaround or those patches do really get installed?

Edited by atolica

2 Joely P

Thx. I extend your gratitude to Tomcat and all the people who helped with this script.

2 atolica

KB951847 completes the set:

2.0 SP2 + NDP20SP2-KB958481-x86 + 2.0 SP2 langpack

+ 3.0 SP2 + NDP30SP2-KB958483-x86 + 3.0 SP2 langpack

+ 3.5 SP1 + NDP35SP1-KB958484-x86 + 3.5 SP1 langpack

with those parts you don't have installed, so actually doesn't add anything new, just different registry values.

Edited by strel