How to delete System Volume Information?

RYU81

Yes there is a very easy way.

go to disk cleanup tool of that drive. And then look for a tab at the top called "More Options" you'll see System restore & Shadow copies and the clean up button. This way will remove the system volume info and also any shadow copies you may have but if you never used VSS, then you have nothing to worry about.

Yes there is a very easy way.

go to disk cleanup tool of that drive. And then look for a tab at the top called "More Options" you'll see System restore & Shadow copies and the clean up button. This way will remove the system volume info and also any shadow copies you may have but if you never used VSS, then you have nothing to worry about.

That still won't delete the System Volume Information folder ;)

If you want to delete the folder you can't in windows, maybe if you take the drive out and use another computer, or boot into one of those live linux cds, you might

If you want to delete the folder itself then you should have wrote that in the question in the first thread.

good luck

Actually you can delete it even in Windows, you just have to take ownership of it as normally only the SYSTEM account has access rights to it, but there is no point to it, as it will be recreated automatically, so no, there is no way to get rid of it.

This may be possible, although I wouldn't recommend it.

You can boot to WinPE and could use XCACLS (or CACLS) to change the permissions so that Windows cannot write to the folder! Then you can use attrib to -R +A -S -H and delete the files in there.

Then again Windows might give you some big time errors or even a Blue Screen perhaps and create system instability! Why would you want to do this? Get a bigger hard drive!

Once you've disabled System Restore on all drives and reboot your PC, the contents of the System Restore folder will be GONE. The empty folder takes up virtually NO space so why fuss with it?

However, disabling System Restore is like shooting yourself in the foot.

It's put there by MS programmers to save your butt if anything goes wrong in windows.

I not only use it, but I force a new restore point on every reboot, with a little script in my Startup folder.

I have to use it at least once a week, to fix some little F'up.

Old restore points can be deleted with Windows Explorer,,,, just not the current days restore points.

I only delete my old restore points, when I'm cleaning up the HD prior to doing a full C: drive backup,

to save space in the Backup Image File. With a fresh Image of C: safely stored away, I don't need the old

restore points. EH?

Cheers Mates!

B)

The empty folder takes up virtually NO space so why fuss with it?

Because I paid for the computer and for the OS and now someone else arranges my HDD?

It would be OK if actually there was useful information in there, but when not using SR, there is no need for the folder to exist.

On reboot, the folder is recreated if deleted and if any privileges taken away from SYSTEM, they are restored. <- This is on XP, I can't imagine it would be more relaxed in Vista.

This is flexing of muscles - to show the user who's the boss.

GL