Adding ATI vga drivers with nlite

N0B4r9N1LIsFyeQR

I used to use bashrat's driverpack but found that weird things would happen which were difficult to debug. So now I'm using just nlite's ability to load multiple drivers from a folder. It does mean I make dedicated install CDs for a motherboard but it has been far more reliable than driverpack.

With one exception. I have an Asus 4350 vga and amd.com doesn't have any 4350 drivers. Asus does have a download here:

http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us

named ati8542_XP64.zip but it is an installer that must be run, something I would prefer not to do.

Any suggestions on how to integrate this vga driver with nlite?

N0B4r9N1LIsFyeQR, I DLed and then extracted the file (using 7-Zip) you showed and it had several .inf files. Some were XP and some were XP x64. You should do the same and pick the ones you need. I assume you are running XP x64? Enjoy, John.

I have an Asus 3450 (no typo), but I never use the Asus drivers.

I suggest you use the ATI drivers from their website. Run the installer and wait until you get a dialog asking for your confirmation. At that point browse down in C:\ATI where you will find the driver. Copy it to another location and cancel the installation. Clean up C:\ATI if you like. You can now integrate the copied driver with nLite.

That's the way I do it... and it works fine for me!

N0B4r9N1LIsFyeQR, I DLed and then extracted the file (using 7-Zip) you showed and it had several .inf files. Some were XP and some were XP x64. You should do the same and pick the ones you need. I assume you are running XP x64? Enjoy, John.

John, thanks for looking into this. I did the same thing, extracted the zip and found .inf files. nLite was happy to include them as drivers but it doesn't actually work. After installation, XP x64's device manager shows only the standard VGA driver with the yellow triangle.

I then tried to right mouse "update" the driver and point it at the .inf files but that failed to install the correct driver.

The only thing that works for me is to run the setup.exe in ati8542_XP64

I have an Asus 3450 (no typo), but I never use the Asus drivers.

I suggest you use the ATI drivers from their website. Run the installer and wait until you get a dialog asking for your confirmation. At that point browse down in C:\ATI where you will find the driver. Copy it to another location and cancel the installation. Clean up C:\ATI if you like. You can now integrate the copied driver with nLite.

That's the way I do it... and it works fine for me!

XIII

That was my first approach. But ATI doesn't have a working driver for the 4350 on their website. I have successfully used the trick of browsing C:\ati\support for other drivers but the 4350 seems too new for them.

Go ahead and see what you get when you search for a 4350 driver on ati.com.

No Results Found - 38750

Weird. The card is listed (XP 64-bit, Radeon, 4350 series), but gives no result...

However, the drivers are generic as far as I know. In fact, if I take a look at the 8.12 inf file (most recent) that I've installed, I see that there is a 4350 entry in there as well. So you might download the 8.12 set and try to install it anyway. Might just work!

No Results Found - 38750

Weird. The card is listed (XP 64-bit, Radeon, 4350 series), but gives no result...

However, the drivers are generic as far as I know. In fact, if I take a look at the 8.12 inf file (most recent) that I've installed, I see that there is a 4350 entry in there as well. So you might download the 8.12 set and try to install it anyway. Might just work!

XIII:

I did dl the 8.12 from ati and it refuses to work with my 4350. That's the reason I am using the installer from Asus. But I can not integrate it with nlite, instead I have to login after XP64 is installed and then run the Asus 4350 installer.