USB Drive "Optimize For Performance"?

extremepilot

I set my flash drive to Optimize For Performance instead of Optimize for Quick Removal, so I can format it in NTFS. Since its not "optimized" for quick removal. what happens if I just yank it out? of course I'm gonna be careful and do it when it's not transferring, but what are the risks now that it's not in quick removal mode?

thanks in advance

"Performance" means that the write cache has been turned on. Basically, it's a delayed write to the stick. If you yank the stick before the system has had a chance to flush the cache (write contents to the stick) whatever was in the cache will be lost. Other, unpredictable results are also possible, like corrupted data on the stick.

Your mileage may vary.

It's ok, i'm just wondering what I should watch out for, because normally i just yank out my usb drives.

You get little performance boost with a huge risk.

I did this on my external HD. With cache: ~35mb/s without cache 32-33mb/s transfer speed.

when it comes down to either more performance or quick removal i would take the quick removal as the speed that you may gain is small compared to the convienence of being able to remove the usb drive without having to press anything to tell it that it is safe for removal.for me when i plug a usb drive in, what i expect to be able to do is to use it as i require and remove it without questions asked.

You get little performance boost with a huge risk.

Yes, i believe this is dead on correct. Pretty sure that the end result is some combination of these errors (approximate wording, anyone feel free to correct or confirm them) ...

... Unable to Write to Disk in Drive X ...

and later ...

... Disk in Drive X is not Formatted. Do you want to format ...

Either one kinda takes the fun out of moving files around on USB flash and hard drives.

If windows isn't playing nice with removing usb storage drives, maybe you should try HotSwap! for removing your drive(s).

Read more about HotSwap! here.

I wonder how an app designed for SATA/eSATA will help on a USB device. :whistle:

Apart being not actually connected to the OP question, thanks for the link. :)

@extremepilot

No matter whether the USB stick/HD/whatever is set to "Optimize for quick removal" or not, always use the "Safely disconnect" feature, either from the tray icon or from a program/script:

http://portableapps.com/node/1083

Better be safe than sorry. ;)

The programs from Uwe Sieber cdob already pointed to are very useful.

jaclaz

@jaclaz: I have used this program before and it works for almost any type of removable drive I have used and yes I primarily got it for e-sata but it works perfectly fine with USB pen drives and my USB external hard drive.

Maybe this image will show you the 5 areas of devices this program will help you remove from your system safely.

right_click.gif