Life after Avast 4.8

Don't cross your bridges before you get to them!

It may take a good while, before they stop the support. :hello:

Yes, I was just thinking that, don't fix unless it's broke comes to mind.

I have already downloaded the ClamWin setup file and it's saved in temp, but more than likely by the time that Avast has fully dropped support for windows 98 then I would imagine that ClamWin will have already done the same, hopefully not though.

Hope you all had a nice Xmas.

Had to clean up a few posts in here so this is a friendly reminder to all who participate:

8. Has the thread you started or participated in been moved, closed or deleted? Check with the forum moderator via PM. Under no circumstances start threads asking why other threads were moderated. Forum moderation is not up for public debate, such threads will be deleted and the thread starter warned. MSFN reserves the right to edit, delete or move posts made on this site.

MSFN Forum Rules

I wouldn't put any trust or faith into ClamWin simply because the detection rates are unfortunately very poor. You can check out av-comparatives for possible alternatives to avast 4.8 when 9x/Me support ends.

• 4 weeks later...
Don't cross your bridges before you get to them!

It may take a good while, before they stop the support. :hello:

Yes, I was just thinking that, don't fix unless it's broke comes to mind.

I have already downloaded the ClamWin setup file and it's saved in temp, but more than likely by the time that Avast has fully dropped support for windows 98 then I would imagine that ClamWin will have already done the same, hopefully not though.

Hope you all had a nice Xmas.

The AVG bridge is near for me; therefore, I am planning to jump into the Avast boat.

Does Avast have bootup DOS shield like AVG?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

On my Win98SE PC (AMD K6-3+@550MHz,768MB RAM) I run the firewall ZoneAlarm AntiVirus 6.1 (outdated antivirus part disabled) combined with Avast4.8 AntiVirus (start delayed through StartRight to prevent race condition lockups). However nowadays a complete boot takes about 20 minutes and Avast update even >30 minutes. Also random bowser lockups likely come from Avast, which seems to slow down the machine by 90% in some situations. I guess this bloatware monster does linear search through an infinitely growing virus database and since long time has lost its point of usefulness. (The only malwares I ever found with it were adware scripts in old downloaded HTML pages, and obviously fake e-mail attachments I wouldn't open with Acrobat Reader or MS Word anyway since I do not use them.)

Thus I will replaces this bugger with ClamWin+Sentinel soon. I hope I manage to make it coexist with ZoneAlarm.